best wash/wax stuff?

This is a discussion on best wash/wax stuff? within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i didn't know where exactly to put this, so since i'm new i'll put it here! i'm washing/waxing (i think) ...

best wash/wax stuff?

i didn't know where exactly to put this, so since i'm new i'll put it here!

i'm washing/waxing (i think) the wrx this weekend so that my dad will let me drive it next week. i've never washed a car myself, only taken it through the car wash. and i've never waxed before...

so basically i need a rundown on what you guys recommend using and basic steps? haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dinopudge View Post
    i didn't know where exactly to put this, so since i'm new i'll put it here!

i'm washing/waxing (i think) the wrx this weekend so that my dad will let me drive it next week. i've never washed a car myself, only taken it through the car wash. and i've never waxed before...

so basically i need a rundown on what you guys recommend using and basic steps? haha
    i use meguires crystal clear car wash.

1) get a bucket and fill it up with water. add a few drops of car wash stuff
    2) hose down the whole car
    3) flip up your windshield wipers!
    4) i usually start at the wheels first. clean them and then hose them off
    5) start at the top of the car with the roof and work your way down
    6) after youre done givin the car a good rubdown hose it all off
    7) use a shammy (or a towel.. i guess, if you dont have a shammy) to get off all the excess water

now i've never waxed my car by myself so i cant really give tips for that. all i know is that the car needs to be completely dry. depending on what kind of wax you have, you usually apply it first with a buffer type pad, then you go over it with a rag to work it into the surface.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Waxing a car is the greatest feeling ever. When your done you'll run your hands up and down it like silk. Any good wax will do, megiuers, turtle wax, mothers, just go to autozone/advanced, or walmart and buy the best you fell like spending. Make sure you get an applier pad and a 5 pack of microfiber towels( NOT TERRY CLOTH!) All ya do is rub the wax in a circler motion on the car, take the energy to do it right, but dont kill yourself. Do one panel at a time, and then let it sit for 15-20 mintutes or more, till it hazes over. Then rub it out with clean microfiber clothes, again in circular motions. And be prepared to CRY! No woman on earth looks as good as a freshly waxed car.

ps if you feel like steping up from just a wax, clay bar the entire car. found out more about this by heading to the exterior mod forum, or searching. good luck.

I Support ClubWRX
    Our Detailing Forum.

Moving this thread there ...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

7) use a shammy (or a towel.. i guess, if you dont have a shammy) to get off all the excess water.
    Pretty similar to what I use and do. I use two buckets; one for the wheels and the other dirty / gritty areas (with double strength Meguiar’s car wash stuff), then a second for paint only.

Wheels first, then the top of the WRX working your way down. I have a super soft 100% cotton towel, quickly followed by a microfiber towel to finish the wash.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 11-21-2007 at 04:03 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

7) use a shammy (or a towel.. i guess, if you dont have a shammy) to get off all the excess water
    wanna help me wash my cars ?
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rr1911 View Post
    wanna help me wash my cars ?
    for 50 dollars!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

A few more tips. Do this all in the shade. I dont care how fast you are, if you do it direct sunlight the sun will dry the soap suds onto your paint finish which will only create more work for you later. If you ABSOLUTELY have to do it in the sun do one panel at a time (wash then rinse.) Also when washing and this is up to you, once its all clean and dry, take a towel of some sort and dry up your door jambs, if they are already very dirty then clean them up with some degreaser. After that all you'll have to do is dry them after every wash.

Waxing is pretty damn easy. Choose your wax (paste wax is better than the liquid waxes, liquid waxes are watered down wax.) Use a foam pad or terry cloth pad to apply the wax. You dont have to wax in the circular tradition BS motion... it doesnt matter what motion you use as long as you are applying the wax to every inch of the cars paint. It doesnt matter
    where you start waxing, just choose a starting place and work your way around the car. Try not to get any wax on any of the black plastic parts or the rubber parts around the windows, it will dry up white and look like poop.

To remove the wax use a damp micro fiber (MF) towel and a dry MF towel. Use the wet one to get the bulk of the wax off and the dry one to remove the rest and dry it up, one panel at a time.

Then you can clean your windows and dress your tires. Good luck and have fun!

Willie

P.S. You can also check out www.autopia.org for great detailing advice.
    Snitches get stitches!