Any way to get it off
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Any way to get it off within the Detailing Forum forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well my dumb ass little 6 year old wrote #20 on the front of my car with a sharpie , ...

Any way to get it off

Well my dumb ass little 6 year old wrote #20 on the front of my car with a sharpie , is there any way to remove it? i thought mr clean magic erase, but wanted to check other options

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. View Post
    Well my dumb ass little 6 year old wrote #20 on the front of my car with a sharpie , is there any way to remove it? i thought mr clean magic erase, but wanted to check other options
    Take the same sharpie and make a test mark somewhere inconspicuous -- the inside of the boot lid or the inside of the bonnet come to mind. Next, see what happens when you gently rub with isopropanol.

Now, in exchange for the response, tell me why the child chose #20?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Was my cross country number

I Support ClubWRX
    Note to self: never let a six year old near car.

Good luck getting that off. I'll be interested to see what did it, I have a small sharpie mark on my headlight, but not enough to worry about taking it off.

I Support ClubWRX
    Both isopropanol and ethanol will remove sharpie markings from surfaces. The question -- and why I cautioned to TEST somewhere inconspicuous first -- is whether the alcohol you chose to use will damage the finish (in the case of painted metal) or the material (in the case of plasitised headlamps or other non-metal bits). It'll work; what's left for you to determine is at what cost (isopropanol should not theoretically harm painted metal; it's used to clean surfaces and it should not harm many plastics, but I'm not a materials expert and it's not my car, so TEST first).

EDIT: I asked about the number 20 thinking it might be a favourite driver or something (thinking a mini Nascar fan did the deed). If so I'd have suggested switching the kid to Formula 1, where the numbers are now tiny and nobody knows them, and a 6-year-old might be discouraged from trying to spell out "Raikkonen" etc. Just a thought -- not applicable here after all though.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    and a 6-year-old might be discouraged from trying to spell out "Raikkonen" etc.

It's all in the training. Without even trying, I somehow transmitted to both of my kids by the age of 3 that Daddy's car is a holy relic.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. View Post
    Did you call your own child a dumb ass?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

It's all in the training. Without even trying, I somehow transmitted to both of my kids by the age of 3 that Daddy's car is a holy relic.
    Me too, I won't even let them climb in and out with out my help.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Yeah, "may" be a lil harsh.
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    I wasnt going to touch that topic.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post

Weeks in a closet will do that. j/k
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I think so, but in that case I'd be more worried about what they say about the apple and the tree.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Really anything will take it off. I would stay away from ethanol. It tends to harm paint a little more than standard rubbing alcohol. Acetone will do it. Basic formulas of goo off and even some waxes will get it off. After clear coat gets some time to cure, it is pretty durable. Like was stated, just a quick little test spot, and then go for it. If for some stupid reason, something dulls the finish a little, just hit it with a quick buff and be back to normal.
    Pretty easy and common. Even paint over the clear coat is really nothing to worry about.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Really anything will take it off. I would stay away from ethanol. It tends to harm paint a little more than standard rubbing alcohol. Acetone will do it.

Aha, good to know.

To the person with the small sharpie mark on the headlamps: Do not use acetone on clear plastics (or any plastics for that matter).

EDIT: The OP is apparently a teen, so the kid may be a sibling (?)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showpo...9&postcount=52
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-05-2007 at 03:30 PM.

He had his first kid at 11. he's on his third at 17
    Stage II and loving it!

I Support ClubWRX
    I assumed it was his brother...if it's his kid, I'm somewhat speechless.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast