Make your post count! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Make your post count! within the Dealership, Vendor, and Installer Review forums, part of the ClubWRX.net Marketplace category; I recently visited RK Subaru in Virginia Beach, VA to purchase my 2009 WRX. PROS: They asked if I wanted ...

R.K. Subaru - Virginia Beach, VA

I recently visited RK Subaru in Virginia Beach, VA to purchase my 2009 WRX.

PROS:
    • They asked if I wanted a sales person, I wasn't just attacked.
    • They understood the word "no".
    • I was not forced or pushed towards anything I didn't want.
    • They took the time to get to know me and my preferences.

CONS:
    • No free service was included, only discounted oil changes and inspections.
    • Very small military discount.
    • They did a good job cleaning the car compared to other local dealerships, but it still had dirt in the window rubber and sticker residue from taking off the dealership sticker (I'm picky).

All in all, this was my best dealership experience. My saleswoman was Imma Henry, a nice Italian woman straight from Naples. If anyone in the South-East area of Virginia is looking for a Subaru, I reccomend you visit this dealership and ask for Imma. Tell her Trey White sent you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mastro Subaru, Tampa, FL.

Just got done buying my 2009 WRX from Mastro Subaru. Probably my best dealership experience ever. I originally went to them because they were one of the dealerships my bank had pre-negotiated pricing with. After calling and speaking with the salesman he informed me that since I was active duty military I qualified for their VIP pricing. (Even better than what my bank had negotiated.) As well as 2 years of complete maintenance included.

PROS:

• They were not pushy at all. They didn't try to force me into anything I didn't want.
    • They let me know all of my options and then let me decide what I wanted. With financing, upgrades, etc.
    • They actually offered me a better deal than what I had gone in with.
    • They went through the effort to find me exactly the car I wanted and even had it ready a day early since I was going to be in town.

CONS:

• They are 3 hours away from where I live. lol

Wrinklechops and Lalade,

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Yes, GO Subaru West are much more organized and professional and stuff. I have had work done there and they usually do a good job.
    Wrinklechops and Lalade,

I will be buying a 2010 WRX as soon as they come in and am in pretty much the same area as you. I have talked to people at Go Subaru Arapahoe and Mike Shaw Subaru, and pretty much decided not to buy from them. The people at Groove Subaru (brand new name, just switched this past weekend from Burt Subaru) seemed helpful and knowledgeable, and I was planning on buying from them.

But after reading your posts, now I am trying to decide between Groove Subaru and Go Subaru West. I don't mind the driving distance to Go Subaru West if you think that would be better... Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.....
    Last edited by Perone316; 08-05-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Perone316 View Post
    Wrinklechops and Lalade,

I will be buying a 2010 WRX as soon as they come in and am in pretty much the same area as you. I have talked to people at Go Subaru Arapahoe and Mike Shaw Subaru, and pretty much decided not to buy from them. The people at Groove Subaru (brand new name, just switched this past weekend from Burt Subaru) seemed helpful and knowledgeable, and I was planning on buying from them.

But after reading your posts, now I am trying to decide between Groove Subaru and Go Subaru West. I don't mind the driving distance to Go Subaru West if you think that would be better... Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.....

I would say either is a good choice for you, as long as you stay away from Mike Shaw Subaru!

I vote Go Subaru West, regardless of my rocky history with them. They have a great sales team and their head mechanic is the #2 rated Subaru tech in the country. #1 is in like Chicago or something. I only say rocky because I had a bit of a back-and-forth with them regarding my warrantied engine failures/repair. They made it right by me though.

Awesome, thanks for the help. Much appreciated

Carlsen Subaru (San Carlos, CA)

Pro: all departments do stellar work, great customer service

Con: mark-ups on some parts and services are extremely high

In sales, talk with Larry Fong if he's still there. Perform due diligence on all parts and services.

Note: it's been a while since i've used this dealership

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

Subaru of Plano (Texas)

Pros:
    - Parts Department is awesome

- You get Subaru loaner cars instead of a cheap Enterprise car like most places seem to do.

Cons:
    - Sales team is terrible. I talked to 2 different sales people about getting a used WRB '07 Forester XT and neither person called me back for a follow up of a search for what I wanted. I later came to find out that neither person even bothered to look for me.

- Service is horrible too. They will royally screw up your car, tell you they will take care of it, and once everything is taken apart they will tell you it was your fault and that you're gonna have to pay for it (again, this is after they've already disassembled the car) even though they were the cause of the damage.

- The owner is a useless douchebag

Cliffs: Buy your car at Huffines or Teape Subaru and have it serviced at Huffines.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

Huffines Subaru (Lewisville, TX)

Pros:
    -They tell you your car gets fixed, it gets fixed. Subaru Jim (their master Subaru tech) is awesome and very helpful.

- Bought my original '02 WRX from them back in '02 and the staff was great. I wasn't very good at driving manual then so they had someone go over it with me in a parking lot for about 30 minutes. The salesman I actually bought my car from was Cobb's race car driver and is now the GM of their Texas location.

Cons:
    - Enterprise car rental

- It's mostly a Chevy dealership and they don't have enough Subaru service advisors or technicians. Their parts department blows because all 3 of their workers are fat, lazy, diehard Chevy fans who don't seem to care to help you unless you have a Chevrolet. It takes FOREVER for them to actually do anything for you.

CarMax: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

CarMax: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

I've had a very frustrating experience with my recent 03 WRX purchase, but I honestly believe that CarMax has treated me well.

Pros:
    I've visited several used car dealerships looking for a vehicle for myself and one for my wife as well. I've hated each and every experience. From pushing me to purchase a vehicle TODAY and then getting visibly pissed when I refused, to telling me, "Oh yeah, we still have that car, go ahead and come on in to take a look at it" when in fact the vehicle had been sold the day before, to hounding me relentlessly on the phone and via e-mail for weeks after a visit, I've never had a pleasant experience at a used car dealership.

CarMax is different. My wife and I went to CarMax with a long list of specific vehicles from their website that we wanted to check out. Each and every one of those vehicles was still there, and the salesperson let us check each of them out as much as we wanted without ever pressuring us about anything, even though we stated at the outset that we weren't making a purchase that day. When we were done, he gave us his card with his work and cell phone numbers and told us to call him any time when we were ready. He never called us and pestered us to come back in. The whole experience was absolutely refreshing.

Buying my WRX was a painless experience. I had it transferred from the CarMax in Garland, Texas, and everything about the process was easy and pleasant. The car was just as described on their website and by the staff over the phone. They let me test drive it even though it'd been years since I last used a manual transmission. The salesperson let me take my time refamiliarizing myself with it in the parking lot. Though the sales manager on duty seemed a bit annoyed that I wasn't planning to purchase it that day, there was very little pressure to make a rash decision. My wife and I went in the next day to pick it up. We paid cash, and the whole process was done in about an hour.

The service department, though seemingly young and inexperienced, has been very courteous. They called each day my vehicle was with them getting serviced just to let me know how things were progressing. They've given me a loaner car each time the WRX has been in for service

Cons:
    The check engine light came on just 18 days after purchase, for a misfire in one of the cylinders. Their first attempt at fixing it (replacing an ignition coil) failed, plus now the vehicle was overheating badly.

This second set of issues happened while I was on a weekend trip out of town. I limped into the CarMax in that town, hoping to have them tow it back to OKC and give me a loner car to drive home. No such luck. The sales manager there said their service department was closed for the weekend, so there was nothing he could do. To be fair though, I was pissed off at this point and was, I'm ashamed to say, being a major ass about the whole thing. I wouldn't have wanted to help me either.

The second time in the shop, CarMax sent the WRX to Automax Subaru in Norman, Oklahoma. They got to the bottom of the problem, which was a cracked #2 piston. It took about a week and a half to fix, but that was mostly due to the fact that they had to wait for parts to be shipped to them.

Further Comments:
    Everyone at both CarMax and Automax Subaru was very courteous and helpful the entire time.

I didn't buy the CarMax extended warranty, but CarMax vehicles come with a free 30-day warranty. Luckily, all of this happened within that 30-day period. I haven't paid a dime for anything they've fixed, and I haven't even had to be without a car at all because their service department provides loaner cars. They've paid for over $2000 worth of parts and labor, all with a smile. If I had purchased this same vehicle at a typical used car dealership, I'd have been SOL.

I'm a little bit upset that CarMax sold me a car with such an awful problem. However, I doubt even the advertised billion-point inspection they do on the cars they sell would have involved taking the engine apart to discover a cracked piston.

So maybe they knowingly sold me a car with problems, or maybe they're just as surprised by all this as I am. Regardless, their service department has taken very good care of me. The service manager even extended my free 30-day warranty for another 30-days starting the day I picked it up. 30 days isn't much, I realize, but he didn't have to do this. He did it anyway, though, and I appreciate it.

Overall, I would recommend buying from CarMax of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, with the caveat that you do a better job of getting the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a trusted mechanic during CarMax's 5-day full refund period than I did. This has been a very stressful experience for me, but I believe CarMax has treated me fairly.

Carr Subaru Beaverton Oregon

Pro
    I bought a 09 wrx and after 4500 miles a chaincase seal developed a hole, too it in, 30 min later I had a very crapy but quickly produced rental carr. Got the car back 2 days later with with a solid explanation and an all clear(Oils assay), been very happy ever since for what it is worth (Only at 9800 now).

Con
    Best salesman I ever came up against, I think he squeesed an extra k out of me, paid 28.5 for a premium with a short shift.

Cross Creek Subaru....Fayetteville NC

pros

The sales staff at Cross Creek did not run outside to pester me as soon as I pulled up in my car. I was able to walk around a 09 WRX sedan twice before I was approached by my sales person. She was not very knowledgable about subarus but then again I had done my homework and knew what I wanted. We took out the sedan and went through the familiar loop that most car dealerships use in Fayetteville. She had not pressed me one bit at this point. Upon arrival at the dealership she asked me if I wanted to take the STI out...My wife would have killed me if I came home with a $35k car. I politely informed the salesperson that the WRX was exactly what I wanted just not a sedan. She then brought to my attention the new super white wagon that was still on the back of a car carrier. Long story short, they were quick and efficient to deal with.

cons

I would suggest going there with financing in hand. Their finance guy is often overburdened.

additional comments

I'm uncertain about taking my car there for services as their subaru tech looks to be all of about 24. Not saying anything about young people in general but sometimes you are more credible with a few seasons under your wings.
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

Untrustworthy

My son went there for the standard 30K service. Shaver, like Barber and Sherman Oaks which are 30 miles north and south respectively, quoted him $500. He came to discover that of the 3, only Shaver doesn't include parts. The other 2 prices were complete. This brought the total to $752.

Just to give you the flavor, all 3 charge extra for the cabin air filter if you need it. Of the 3, only Shaver tacks on an additional labor charge of $60. The other 2 include as part of the 30K. This added another $99.90.

The bill exceeded double because my son agreed to a Shaver recommended fuel system cleaning service ($150) which Subaru NEVER does as part of the regular maintenance schedule over the life of the car. This last thing is as contemptible as it is unnecessary. They've been a Subaru dealer for maybe one year. What experience can they be basing this recommendation on? Subaru said they can't control what independent dealers recommend.

We complained but my son had signed the estimate and they held him to it. They relented by giving him 10% off and they decided to honor their direct-mail coupon for the cabin filter though he hadn't presented it at write-up time.

Oh yeah, despite numerous phone calls regarding the status of the car, they never let him know it was ready. We went there and tried to pay the cashier and get the car but the service department was closed and didn't present a bill. Since the car's status was unknown, the (assistant?) sales manager had to give my son a loaner so he could return to his home in the city. He returned the next day to deal with the above and get his car back.

Btw, the sales manager was very nice and sympathetic (as were the cashiers the next day) but she did not think there were performance differences between 2007 and 2008 STi model years. Maybe the service department got the additional service recommendations from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowflier03 View Post
    Just got done buying my 2009 WRX from Mastro Subaru. Probably my best dealership experience ever. I originally went to them because they were one of the dealerships my bank had pre-negotiated pricing with. After calling and speaking with the salesman he informed me that since I was active duty military I qualified for their VIP pricing. (Even better than what my bank had negotiated.) As well as 2 years of complete maintenance included.

PROS:

• They were not pushy at all. They didn't try to force me into anything I didn't want.
    • They let me know all of my options and then let me decide what I wanted. With financing, upgrades, etc.
    • They actually offered me a better deal than what I had gone in with.
    • They went through the effort to find me exactly the car I wanted and even had it ready a day early since I was going to be in town.

CONS:

• They are 3 hours away from where I live. lol
    Good to hear. They have a 2006 STi I'm going to look at Friday night (9/25/09), and I'm hoping they will be nice and deal with me on it. I will post my thoughts of the encounter after it's over, and hopefully I have a car to go with the comments.

Capitol Subaru - Salem Oregon

Good people, rarely have WRX's but when they do they'll bend over backwards to cut a deal. Paid 14K for an 05 with 30k miles on it, super clean, oil changes and free tires for life!

Subaru Calgary - Calgary, AB, Canada

For the Canadians out there:

PROS:
    - Friendly staff, all around.
    - Did everything they could for me to get my business (there are 2 dealers in Calgary, both the same distance from where I live)
    - Put on my winter tires + balanced them for no cost when I went back a few weeks later
    - Big screen tv, a phone, and internet access + laptop provided in waiting room. It's also a Jag dealer so some high rollers kicking around.
    - Extended Service hours (evenings and w'ends) so I never have to miss any work to get service done.

CONS:
    - ?? I will update the moment something rubs me the wrong way. I've only dealt with them for just over a month.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.