ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums - 2012 Subaru WRX STI: The Best Sports Car for the Money?
  • 2012 Subaru WRX STI: The Best Sports Car for the Money?

Comments 10 Comments
      rage-wrx -
      Good review.
      RayfieldsWRX -
      Great video.
      AmateurX -
      Great video. I almost cried.

Seriously though, I take exception to the statement "[the STi has] tons of interior space". Although, there's more space in the back seat with the latest generation, it's still no Panamera. Other than that though, I really like his analogies. And, I think he did well trying to get the point across with the brand, and the car's quirkiness.
      Acrdys -
      Almost all his reviews are great. He generally goes over what the car was made for and it gives his reviews an overall positive feel.
      ProRallyWannabe -
      i like the commentary at 07:55 "the STi was born out of Rallying"
      teflon_jones -
      Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
      Seriously though, I take exception to the statement "[the STi has] tons of interior space". Although, there's more space in the back seat with the latest generation, it's still no Panamera.
      Sorry but I have to disagree with that. My 04 STi had more usable interior space than my 2011 does. Maybe the overall measurements say there's more space, but in the real world, the older car had more space. I'm basing this on having two child seats in the back of each car and how much room I had and how much room my son had behind me. He definitely had more room in the old car versus the new one. In the old one I would put my seat one notch forward of farthest back and I was still perfectly comfortable driving it, and really didn't notice much if any difference. My son had enough room between the front of his seat and the back of mine (but not a lot). In my new STI, I have to put the seat 2 notches forward of the farthest back position, which pushes me into an uncomfortable driving position, and that leaves less room in inches between the front of his seat and the back of mine than he had in my old STi. This is with the exact same car seat, and I'm subjectively rating my driving comfort, but measuring the room in the back in terms of inches and not comfort (yes my son has grown but that doesn't play into this).

The seat designs have obviously changed between the two cars and I think the new ones are much thicker than the old ones, so this leaves less real available room between the front of the back seat and the back of the front seats.

I wish the Panamera wasn't so darn pug fugly or I'd be driving one of those today. That's a real 4 door sports car!
      NoVASTi -
      Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
      Sorry but I have to disagree with that. My 04 STi had more usable interior space than my 2011 does. Maybe the overall measurements say there's more space, but in the real world, the older car had more space. I'm basing this on having two child seats in the back of each car and how much room I had and how much room my son had behind me. He definitely had more room in the old car versus the new one. In the old one I would put my seat one notch forward of farthest back and I was still perfectly comfortable driving it, and really didn't notice much if any difference. My son had enough room between the front of his seat and the back of mine (but not a lot). In my new STI, I have to put the seat 2 notches forward of the farthest back position, which pushes me into an uncomfortable driving position, and that leaves less room in inches between the front of his seat and the back of mine than he had in my old STi. This is with the exact same car seat, and I'm subjectively rating my driving comfort, but measuring the room in the back in terms of inches and not comfort (yes my son has grown but that doesn't play into this).

The seat designs have obviously changed between the two cars and I think the new ones are much thicker than the old ones, so this leaves less real available room between the front of the back seat and the back of the front seats.

I wish the Panamera wasn't so darn pug fugly or I'd be driving one of those today. That's a real 4 door sports car!
      What I notice is that as children grow, they need more space. A kid in a toddler seat will fit fine but an adolescent kid will need a lot more room (for legs and knees, depending on how big he/she is). I think that spacing from year to year is much more difficult to judge between two models of this car, and you're right, raw numbers can't be the only factor...but it was easy for me. It wasn't an STi that I saw an issue with my kids' growth, but another car...I had that car for 7 years and every two years or so, I'd notice I had to sit closer to the steering wheel.

What you're saying is that while the latest GR might have more total room, the ergonomics might prevent that room from being fully utilized (or maybe that the total room is due to more open air?)...I guess. If I can use a quad cab truck as a family car for 7 years, I'm sure the GD and GR don't have any such issues either.

And yeah, the Panamera is just plain fugly...it's like they tried to take honors for most ugly car. Fast yeah, beautiful, no. I don't even think its an issue of necessity (they called the Hayabusa ugly but there was a reason it looked that way [aerodyamics]).
      m[dot] -
      I think it was a great review. I added it to my favorites a few weeks ago. Even though I don't have an STI I feel the same way about my WRX. It puts in work and has the power to back the looks.
      LimitlessWrex -
      He left out one important thing. After driving this car, you always get out of the driver seat with a smile on your face.
      DwnShft4WRX -
      One of the best reviews I have watched. Makes me proud I have a WRX.
    Comments Leave Comment

Click here to log in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

• Album Pictures

IMG 1414 1
    msedbaue
    Picture 032
    jesset727
    2009 WRX base model sedan
    MattM413
    PC110461
    lacrosse2700
    Shakedown in Denver
    Hiryu
    2012 WRX