ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums - 2013 Subaru BRZ tested at 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.3
  • 2013 Subaru BRZ tested at 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.3

The 2013 Subaru BRZ is "one of the most rewarding cars we've ever driven" says Edmunds after subjecting the new coupe to some track time. This, despite having a 0-60 time that rivals that of some minivans 7.3 seconds. Inside Line says those numbers are mostly due to an overactive rev limiter that forces a third-gear shift at 59.2 mph. We bet that's an early tuner fix. Also likely to be improved with an aftermarket reflash is the 15.3-second quarter-mile time.

So you won't be winning many stoplight drag races in box-stock form, but as we all know, there's far more to a fun car than just straight-line numbers. According to IL, "the BRZ offers a level of engagement that, until now, has been either too costly or too impractical for the average enthusiast." They even go so far as to compare the BRZ's overall character to a Lotus Exige and the beastly Porsche 911 GT3(!).

No, the BRZ can't hang with either of those hardcore Europeans, but Inside Line says its balanced mixture of handling, cost, every day usability, and practicality make for "a perfect balance between date nights and track days."

[autoblog]
    Comments 29 Comments
      RayfieldsWRX -
      Quote Originally Posted by lashak View Post
      you slow down in a wrx to take corners? .
      I slow down for many corners. Depends on my approach speed, and the nature of the corner. Be careful...overconfidence has put many a driver in a ditch, AWD or not. There's a reason why WRX insurance is on the high side for a sporty econobox.
      Mikie13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
      I slow down for many corners. Depends on my approach speed, and the nature of the corner. Be careful...overconfidence has put many a driver in a ditch, AWD or not. There's a reason why WRX insurance is on the high side for a sporty econobox.
      +1.

The AWD is only actually working when you are accelerating. It does not help you one bit when braking, coasting, or otherwise. AWD only works when you are on the gas.
      mangostick -
      ^ wheels that are spinning or stopped have lost all directional control.

Another thing to mention about awd and corners, if all wheels are under power as the vehicle traverses a corner..(through and exit) what happens to your front drive wheels? .. They scrub and fight with the rear because they're all still attempting to travel at the same speed when the situation the vehicle is in demands that inside wheels slow and outside wheels speed up.. modern differentials mitigate this for the most part but the problem still exists.

in a RWD car your front wheels WILL grip better ENTERING and DURING and EXITING a turn because they are free to speed/slow/change direction and maintain traction while doing those things .. this means higher entry speed and better cornering ability. Tires only do one thing good at a time. Go/Stop/Turn. If you're trying to go and turn or stop and turn at same time you diminish the tires ability to stick. Last I checked.. awd is making all wheels go or all wheels slow at the same time all the time regardless of what directional changes the driver might be attempting

Not the ultimate setup for really tearing up the turns on high traction surfaces now is it? Low traction is another story but if we got into that we'd be getting off topic.

This is why the beloved STI wont pull more than .8G or so on the skid pad in factory condition while a factory mushtang that out weighs it by 3-400lbs will easily pull close to 1G on same skidpad/conditions with same if not narrower tires.

The brz and wrx (or variants there of) ... not same, wont be same.. cannot compare as if same. Even if cost is close to same.. that's like saying you paid $1 for a running shoe and $1 for a flipflop and expecting the two to compare... they do different jobs with different purposes intended.

We can compare the brz accurately to the miata, s2k and possibly the hyundai Genesis coupe. That's it folks.. plain and simple.
      Krylon -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
      All this "BRZ is too slow!" and "why buy a BRZ when the WRX has more power and AWD" talk is starting to make my freakin head spin.

THE BRZ WAS NOT BUILT TO BE A GODDAMN WRX!!! IT WAS BUILT TO BE WHAT IT IS: a low center of gravity RWD sporty coupe. I'd say they succeeded quite successfully. It was built to be something completely different than a WRX or anything AWD.

This ignorant fanboi stuff has got to go. Yes the WRX is awesome, otherwise we wouldn't be here. But damn, that doesn't mean any other car can't be awesome as well if it doesn't have AWD and a Turbo...
      Agreed..
      Its a totally reinvented platform.
      What would all you dislikers be saying if the U.S.A would still only be receiving non-turbo models impreza's.. actually 90% of you, probably wouldn't even own a subaru. If we haven't had the WRX/STI models the last 9-11 years, you guys would be all over this. a $20,000 sport coupe..! Tell me i'm wrong...?
      Personally... The BRZ is too much coin for the US water downed version. The interior... is so cheap looking, its ridiculous! The wheels are toyota design.., (hideous) 'nuff said there. Why does the U.S. get the left over interior trims.. I just don't get it.
      I love subaru, I really do... (since 95').. they should have spent the coin on marketing the Legacy GT towards younger folk, offering better trim levels on all models and bringing the diesels over to the U.S., then ever putting funds in the BRZ. Especially, when its sister model is a SCION!! Not even a TOYOTA branded model (now that's a crappy comparison)... You get more trim options w/ the scion and just a GPS w/ the BRZ. **Sigh**
      Again, its My opinion... and another opinion,... neither version will sell at the manufacturers expectations.
      I just hope they improve on its qualities... they got the handling down, pretty well.
      Sinister -
      I have one word to say: "R X 8"

This car screams down the same alley as the RX-8. It's a very handling driven car, with no power. That's great you can handle around a corner, but when you can't accelerate to exit the corner... then we have a problem
      Mikie13 -
      Do people really think anything Scion is that bad? I mean I haven't seen the FR-S version in person at all, but I know my sister's 2009 TC has a pretty nice and solid interior. No rattles, not cheap, solid feel, etc. It's a pretty reliable car as well...no issues and runs like a tank. Would the FR-S not follow suit?
      RayfieldsWRX -
      Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
      I have one word to say: "R X 8"

This car screams down the same alley as the RX-8. It's a very handling driven car, with no power. That's great you can handle around a corner, but when you can't accelerate to exit the corner... then we have a problem
      To you, it's a big problem. It may be for me, as well. We are the 1%.
      To the other 99%, the "Occupy Normally-Powered Cars" movment, not a problem. My sister thought that her RX-8 was a rocket. I never took the trouble to contradict her.
      Mikie13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
      To you, it's a big problem. It may be for me, as well. We are the 1%.
      To the other 99%, the "Occupy Normally-Powered Cars" movment, not a problem. My sister thought that her RX-8 was a rocket. I never took the trouble to contradict her.
      Yeah my sister thinks her TC is fast...and her BF thinks that his 97 Civic DX is fast
      mangostick -
      Quote Originally Posted by Krylon View Post
      The BRZ is too much coin for the US water downed version.
      uhm.. its the only version. world wide, unless you know something we dont...

The interior... is so cheap looking, its ridiculous!
      .. have you been in one? I have, there interior is actually very nice. Its a far cry better than any of the current subaru offerings.
      The wheels are toyota design.., (hideous) 'nuff said there.
      yeah they are pretty fugly.. but that's easily changed.

Why does the U.S. get the left over interior trims.. I just don't get it.
      Again, what other trims are there? As asked.. do you know something the rest of the world doesn't? It has alacantra/leather throughout, padded dash and door panels and is very very comfortable (for a guy average size/height).

they should have spent the coin on offering better trim levels on all models and bringing the diesels over to the U.S.
      Couldn't agree more.. but the problem there is that better interiors raise prices we pay, and the latter even though I'm a huge oil burner fan.. they just dont sell well here so its not worth the investment on part of the oem.

then ever putting funds in the BRZ. Especially, when its sister model is a SCION!! Not even a TOYOTA branded model (now that's a crappy comparison)... You get more trim options w/ the scion and just a GPS w/ the BRZ. **Sigh**
      I think you've got this backwards.. The scion has/is a base car.. and definitely has the crappier interior bits. The subaru offering has only premium and limited versions with full leather, heated seats.. etc.

page 8 I posted pics of one outside/inside and sitting in it. I've seen, I'm not speculating about the interiors.
  • Album Pictures

MG 005
    Bugeyeboarder
    Is the maf properly oreinted
    hachetman13
    japoarg
    Warped Door Panel
    Flavah
    SpecialEdition'13
    Brazilnut
    DDSubie05STI
    More...