ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums - 2013 Subaru BRZ tested at 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.3
  • 2013 Subaru BRZ tested at 0-60 in 7.3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 15.3

The 2013 Subaru BRZ is "one of the most rewarding cars we've ever driven" says Edmunds after subjecting the new coupe to some track time. This, despite having a 0-60 time that rivals that of some minivans 7.3 seconds. Inside Line says those numbers are mostly due to an overactive rev limiter that forces a third-gear shift at 59.2 mph. We bet that's an early tuner fix. Also likely to be improved with an aftermarket reflash is the 15.3-second quarter-mile time.

So you won't be winning many stoplight drag races in box-stock form, but as we all know, there's far more to a fun car than just straight-line numbers. According to IL, "the BRZ offers a level of engagement that, until now, has been either too costly or too impractical for the average enthusiast." They even go so far as to compare the BRZ's overall character to a Lotus Exige and the beastly Porsche 911 GT3(!).

No, the BRZ can't hang with either of those hardcore Europeans, but Inside Line says its balanced mixture of handling, cost, every day usability, and practicality make for "a perfect balance between date nights and track days."

[autoblog]
    Comments 29 Comments
      Eric05mx -
      Wow, that thing needs a turbo badly with it's Impreza like acceleration.
      Random2006 -
      agreed
      etnpnys -
      "Wow" is right... I understand that Toyota wanted whatever it wanted and that Subaru was basically left saying "Well, we're not gonna let you use ALL of the sheet metal..."

Subaru needs an STI version of this thing badly. Yes, at $20k it will probably sell like hotcakes but it's still very disappointing coming from the same company that makes a 4.7 sec WRX base model. (But then, that's one of the reasons I ordered a WRX)
      lokey -
      Still lame at 6.4, but better... Subaru BRZ Posts 0-60 mph Time of 6.4 seconds - autoevolution
      RayfieldsWRX -
      Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
      Subaru needs an STI version of this thing badly. Yes, at $20k it will probably sell like hotcakes but it's still very disappointing coming from the same company that makes a 4.7 sec WRX base model. (But then, that's one of the reasons I ordered a WRX)
      Apples to Oranges comparison, when discussing raw acceleration numbers. Take away AWD, and the WRX wouldn't be anywhere near a 4.7 0-60, when beaten upon by magazine writers.
      lashak -
      Pretty sad that my WRX could smoke that thing in 0-60 and 1/4 mile time..... whats the point of it in an American market?. I see alot of Take away AWD and a WRX is terrible. BUT thats why we buy our WRX's. AWD, 4 Door, decent trunk space, and awesome performance in a straight line or track. the BRZ looks like Subaru's attempt at a slick car that stupid kid who have no idea about cars will throw 20K at it and get smoked at the first stop light by some joke 2 grand honda with V-TEC... in the words of Top Gear.....this thing is shear Rubbish! just Rubbish!!.. bad form Scooby bad form!!
      lytlec -
      I don't think it's even meant to be compared to a wrx or STi so why is everyone giving the BRZ such a hard time?! I like it!!
      Rambo -
      Ugh, I give up. Why complain about it when you haven't driven it people?! I know its fun to be negative, but lighten up people!

I could care less what a magazine thinks it can do, I want to see what I can do with it!
      Ricktalife -
      I think the BRZ could be Subaru's entrance into the drift scene. Yea, the numbers are no better than my last car (2003 Mazdaspeed Protege... just google it) but I think it has some serious potential. It looks awesome IMO and I think it will attract enthusiasts who will make adjustments as they see fit.

Since it is a new motor design, Subaru may have felt the need for long term testing in N/A form before slapping a turbo on it, so I wouldn't count that idea out just yet. I have seen whispers of the 2013 WRX with the same 2.0 motor plus a turbo. Then again, I have also seen people talking about hybrid options and other stuff that hopefully is just a rumor.
      RayfieldsWRX -
      Quote Originally Posted by lashak View Post
      I see alot of Take away AWD and a WRX is terrible.
      No one said that it was terrible, but it's a more realistic evaluation, if you're like me, and have no intention of launching at every stoplight, or perhaps want to pass someone on the highway. My bugeye, when stock, was basically a 15 second car for practical, day-to-day usage. The new BRZ is not too far off of that. It will be fine for the 99% of people out there that aren't into turbocharged bragging rights, or haven't become spoiled to 300awhp.
      lokey -
      Hey! I'm not "spoiled."
      RayfieldsWRX -
      I was including myself in that list. We dyno out at about the same numbers...
      mangostick -
      Pretty sad that my WRX could smoke that thing in 0-60 and 1/4 mile time..... whats the point of it in an American market?. I see alot of Take away AWD and a WRX is terrible. BUT thats why we buy our WRX's. AWD, 4 Door, decent trunk space, and awesome performance in a straight line or track. the BRZ looks like Subaru's attempt at a slick car that stupid kid who have no idea about cars will throw 20K at it and get smoked at the first stop light by some joke 2 grand honda with V-TEC... in the words of Top Gear.....this thing is shear Rubbish! just Rubbish!!.. bad form Scooby bad form!!
      the car was built to carve corners.. a traditional balance sports car. Gutless or not its still fun when you dont have to slow down for corners. In saying that though, I'm personally thinking that its a good thing you dont have to slow down because getting back up to speed might take a while.
      Mikie13 -
      Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
      I don't think it's even meant to be compared to a wrx or STi so why is everyone giving the BRZ such a hard time?! I like it!!
      SERIOUSLY!!!! It's meant to be a lot more like a Miata for the RWD and handling! A sports coupe...duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
      Ugh, I give up. Why complain about it when you haven't driven it people?! I know its fun to be negative, but lighten up people!

I could care less what a magazine thinks it can do, I want to see what I can do with it!
      You and I have been on the same page since all this stupid debate started.
      lashak -
      Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
      the car was built to carve corners.. a traditional balance sports car. Gutless or not its still fun when you dont have to slow down for corners. In saying that though, I'm personally thinking that its a good thing you dont have to slow down because getting back up to speed might take a while.
      you slow down in a wrx to take corners? AWD is the beast around corners. I have the most fun in my WRX going down old country back roads so no the BRZ is rubbish based on what i have seen from it. and the turbo really helps the speed get back up just fine. i just see the BRZ as A 350 Z knock off but with less performance. maybe competition for Mazda miata's.
      lytlec -
      you slow down in a wrx to take corners? AWD is the beast around corners. I have the most fun in my WRX going down old country back roads so no the BRZ is rubbish based on what i have seen from it. and the turbo really helps the speed get back up just fine. i just see the BRZ as A 350 Z knock off but with less performance. maybe competition for Mazda miata's.
      Have you driven a BRZ or even been in one? Why is everyone bashing the BRZ...it seems like there is alot of ignorance going on around here towards a car that no one has driven yet. My friend that works for subaru got to mess around one and he said the thing handles amazingly and funny thing is he is a wrx owner too.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/s...rive-2012-28-2
      Acrdys -
      Can't wait to see this thing at an autocross event.
      lashak -
      Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
      Have you driven a BRZ or even been in one? Why is everyone bashing the BRZ...it seems like there is alot of ignorance going on around here towards a car that no one has driven yet. My friend that works for subaru got to mess around one and he said the thing handles amazingly and funny thing is he is a wrx owner too.

On the road: Subaru
      yea i love top gear as well however!

(Every so often in this business, you drive a car that lets you know in the first hundred yards or so that it's special -- that it's somehow greater than the sum of the numbers on its spec chart. The new Subaru BRZ is one of those cars." -- Motor Trend, December, 2011)

when you read this true it seems like they love the car.....and they do. but im sorry a car 'that's somehow greater than the sum of its numbers" my whole point is why buy this BRZ when you can get so much more for the same price. unless you want a slower car than can "turn" really well! and no i have not driven one yet but i also have a great friend who works for subaru and when it gets to the dealership ill be there with bells on to drive it and if i in any way change my feelings of it ill be the first to admit it deal?
      mangostick -
      first, everyone's definition of "rubbish" is different. I personally consider your post rubbish, but that doesn't mean diddly squat now does it?

No, I dont slow down for corners, but I also had to work the suspension on my lil piggy of a wrx to get it to cut a corner without pushing its nose all over the place.

As I mentioned in another thread, until you drive a purpose built RWD sports car you really have no Idea what the aim was for this car or how it will accomplish it.

I guess you guys will just have to learn for yourselves. I'm pretty sure this little car will be an autox beast even on factory tires let alone a good set of race tires.
      Mikie13 -
      All this "BRZ is too slow!" and "why buy a BRZ when the WRX has more power and AWD" talk is starting to make my freakin head spin.

THE BRZ WAS NOT BUILT TO BE A GODDAMN WRX!!! IT WAS BUILT TO BE WHAT IT IS: a low center of gravity RWD sporty coupe. I'd say they succeeded quite successfully. It was built to be something completely different than a WRX or anything AWD.

This ignorant fanboi stuff has got to go. Yes the WRX is awesome, otherwise we wouldn't be here. But damn, that doesn't mean any other car can't be awesome as well if it doesn't have AWD and a Turbo...
  • Album Pictures

photo 2
    cosh632
    interior
    Tha Katy Tx Dude
    100 1161
    scoobysnacks7
    My 10' Redtail Boa wanted to see how the boost gauge worked.  New London, CT February 2008 

She ended up dying before I was able to get the whole...
    rbwood
    Wroxy got a bath!
    greenjello31
    100 2190
    Subboy
    More...