Ran my neighbor's Harley! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Ran my neighbor's Harley! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jdmpwrdr Just thought I would point something out real quick. The Harley V-Rod runs NOTHING close to ...

Quote Originally Posted by jdmpwrdr
    Just thought I would point something out real quick. The Harley V-Rod runs NOTHING close to 11's in the 1/4. More like 13's. I raced quit a few on my 2k4 GSX-R600 and it wasn't pretty. By the way, my GSX-R runs low 12's high 11's I believe.
    I am by no means a bike guy, but I am pretty sure an 04' GSX-R should be running high 10's to low 11's.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As if to really show up Harley for what they are, Buell builds sportbikes using a Sportster derived engine, making 92whp at 6800rpm. They are in the 11's with a gearing limited top speed of 132mph. You can buy them at Harley dealers.

Harley manages to get 60whp from a similar motor with the same displacement. The big 1200 Sportsters are able to do the 1/4 in the low 13'swith a top speed of about 117. Very similar numbers to a 500 Ninja, which is a 19 year old design.

I guess "tractor" is a bit harsh, but Harley motors go flat much past 4500-5000 rpm. The first time I rode one I thought the main jet was two sizes too small, and I told the owner to take it back to the dealer to get it rejetted.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmpwrdr
    Just thought I would point something out real quick. The Harley V-Rod runs NOTHING close to 11's in the 1/4. More like 13's. I raced quit a few on my 2k4 GSX-R600 and it wasn't pretty. By the way, my GSX-R runs low 12's high 11's I believe.
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...leID=47&Page=4
    Once out of first gear, though, the 67.5-inched wheelbase V-Rod scampers away like a full-on sportbike. Use all that Revolution power and the Harley will lay down quarter-mile times in the 11.3-second range at 115 mph. It'll take another second or so later until the Warrior cuts the timing lights in the mid-12s. The Yamaha's advantage in torque can't make up for its 35-hp deficiency.
    The 2004 GSX-R 600 is capable of high 10's at around 130 mph... The trap speed difference between the 2 bikes is huge...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by britishbikes
    As if to really show up Harley for what they are, Buell builds sportbikes using a Sportster derived engine, making 92whp at 6800rpm. They are in the 11's with a gearing limited top speed of 132mph. You can buy them at Harley dealers.

Harley manages to get 60whp from a similar motor with the same displacement. The big 1200 Sportsters are able to do the 1/4 in the low 13'swith a top speed of about 117. Very similar numbers to a 500 Ninja, which is a 19 year old design.

I guess "tractor" is a bit harsh, but Harley motors go flat much past 4500-5000 rpm. The first time I rode one I thought the main jet was two sizes too small, and I told the owner to take it back to the dealer to get it rejetted.

which of course can all be cleared up with some work, but it's damnably expensive.

I just love racing Harleys. They almost always go for it.

I raced a guy with his girl friend or wife from about 20mph - 100mph. I pulled slowly on him the whole race. He was nice enough to give me a thumbs up afterwards. I actually felt a little bad for making his bike look slow with his lady riding with him.

The "V-Rod" will not beat the V-Max which first came out in 85 and to this day remains the undisputed hot-rod cruiser. 145hp at the crankshft. Harley even copied the configuration but used the twin instead of the v-4.

Heck my dad passed away now, use to mod 900s into 1000s in the mid 70s/80s or his kawasaki 900 he had boosted up into 1150 or so before the thing would get close to blowing up.

That stuff is way to old for me to brag on these days but he ran with a 3ft wheelie bar and big slick on the back all the time. I just know harleys in general havent been any faster than then till i stopped following bikes in the early 90s.

For the Record............

I let my bud run my 02 TC88 Deuce Harley against me and my STOCK WRX when I first got it...........

Left him in fumes while he was all hunkerd down tryin to gain a few more mph......

Shotgun
    "Speed Kills......But so do Strokes,...Sign your donar card"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12