WRX vs. Prelude
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs. Prelude within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A little background on my car... My car has a hacked air box, HKS SSQV, ERZ up pipe (which I ...

Elm

WRX vs. Prelude

A little background on my car... My car has a hacked air box, HKS SSQV, ERZ up pipe (which I think leaks I have this "cricket noise" at high boost.... ) I'm also running some moderately heavy wheels (Prodrive P7's)

So I'm pulling out of school tonight and I'm just taking it easy, trying to save a little gas. and Im in 3rd going about 35 mph slowly accelerating, and a red prelude with wheels, exhaust and a pillar gauges goes by and revs his car at me. So I think to myself... "Hmmmm should I feed my WRX it's first *real* kill a prelude?.... Eh, screw it." Downshift into 2nd and pull up next to him fast, and scoot about 2 car lenghts up to see if he's game.

He hits it, and we both speed around a few slow cars and end up at a stop light. I give him a thumbs up and smile and he smiles. I roll down my window and ask him what he's done to it. He says it's basically stock, and it's not VTEC. I'm like; "Cool, I'm basically stock except for the wheels and wing" Then we agreed to go at green.

I have to admit, I was pretty excited and I've only launched my car a few times. At green I give it about a 4.5k launch and I got into the throttle too much before I fully engaged the clutch.... that sure does smell So I carry about a 1 car lead up to the next light, which is about 500 feet from the last light.

He said that he thought I would eat him alive out of the hole, but I told him I got a bad launch. So we go at it once more and I do the same friggin thing He got a bit of tire spin at the start and I couldnt even hear my engine over his super loud exhaust and I bounced off the limiter in 1st. We run it up to about 110, and he was about 1.5 cars back the whole time. At this point I'm thinking that is one beastly prelude, and an afterthought I'm thinking he had a little more work done than he led me to believe, possibly some spray??

After we shut it down he turned left at a light and I stopped short and talked to him a little bit. I told him; "nice car man!" He's like; "I heard you bov" and I said; "yea, I just got the HKS." I should have said "really? Cause I didnt" his exhaust was THAT loud

Overall he was a cool guy and I assume he was really pleased with his car because he held so closely.

I think I need to practice more, and fix that damn body damage my car sustained last Saturday.
    2002 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX
    Mods - Pics - NSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Elm
    I should have said "really? Cause I didnt" his exhaust was THAT loud
    ... nice run . Would've been an even closer race against a vtec prelude. How much do the non vtec prelude push to the wheels anyways, stock?

I Support ClubWRX
    All Preludes have been VTEC since '97, IIRC. So the previous non-VTEC models were either 130 or 160hp (in the generation before the current one), so I'm guessing the Prelude Si (160hp) puts down around 130whp.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

nice kill
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

I'm suprised he stuck with you that long. I raced a couple preludes when i was running my 16G and fmic and it was no contest. Those prodrive p7's will really slow a car down tho. I had them on my legacy and you could really feel the difference, great for cornering tho. Good kill

WRX
    I ran a lightly modded prelude at the track once and he ran in the 15's.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

I owned a red prelude SI right before I bought my Sti. My performance upgrades included...
    Milled head
    Stage 1 crower cams
    AEM CAI Intake
    Greddy EVO Exhaust
    Exedy Cerametallic Clutch
    65 shot of Nitrous

I never had the opportunity to run any WRX's with it, but it would romp all over mildly modded RSX Type-S'... I dont know what that really says about it.

Did it look like this (pic has old stock exhaust)?
    Last edited by Padge; 03-31-2005 at 06:45 AM.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

97+ was vtec, so if it was non-vtec it must have been a prior year. I just cant believe he held with you that long.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Elm
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien83
    I'm suprised he stuck with you that long. I raced a couple preludes when i was running my 16G and fmic and it was no contest. Those prodrive p7's will really slow a car down tho. I had them on my legacy and you could really feel the difference, great for cornering tho. Good kill
    Heh, I figured they would slow me down a little. I think I'm going to save up for some SSR Comps this summer Nothing like a 17x7.5 wheel that weighs 12 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Padge
    Did it look like this (pic has old stock exhaust)?
    Yea, it looked exactly like that, with different wheels and a huge fart can out back.
    Last edited by Elm; 03-31-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    Mods - Pics - NSOC

Quote Originally Posted by WRX
    I ran a lightly modded prelude at the track once and he ran in the 15's.
    That sounds right. Stock and slightly modded preludes are kinda slow. They are pretty heavy.
    " I wasn't racing, I was winning"

Yea, it looked exactly like that, with different wheels and a huge fart can out back.
    either he had more than he said, or you REALLY suck at driving, no offense.

for him to stick with you like that he would be needing just about every bolt on imaginable and I dont even think THAT would be enough.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Elm
    I just suck at launching , every shift was at 6.5k and in the sweet spot the whole time. I think he had some n20 He could have had a turbo, but I didn't hear anything from his car but a really f'ing loud exhaust.
    Mods - Pics - NSOC

aren't preludes supposed to be similar to civic si's (the mid 90's for both) in terms of performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey
    I have a tauren shaman level 52 on the Tichondrious server.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotguntc88
    Try going without underwear (old hippie day thing that I never got over)

Pee dribbles on your jeans when you park it back in.

Heh, I figured they would slow me down a little. I think I'm going to save up for some SSR Comps this summer Nothing like a 17x7.5 wheel that weighs 12 pounds.

I love my SSR comps, besides the fact that my wilwoods make em dirty all the time :P

My buddy in my unit has a prelude with simple bolt ons like intake and exhaust and other stuff i cant remember right now. he runs 15.33 at the track.
    Bugeye MafiaThe Sentinel

t
    No offence or anything ,but the reason he held up so well is because' you haven't mastered your car yet ' good kill nonetheless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast