Smoked a Z Hard!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smoked a Z Hard! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It was about an 02 Z28. It was alot of fun too. I had just finished doing a front brake ...

Smoked a Z Hard!

It was about an 02 Z28. It was alot of fun too. I had just finished doing a front brake job
    (Brembo OEM replacements with hawk HP's Warning: do not get if you don't like your eyeballs in your lap from time to time) and was breaking them in when this dude in a z28 comes rolling the opposite way down the neighborhood blvd. About 5 seconds later I look in my rearview and there he is on my tail watching me brake my brakes in. I pull over to let him by (all this at about 25mph max) he goes and stops at the next main street. He is waiting for me since his turn signal is on yet no car are going by in on the road he was turning on. Once I get there it's on. He turns right and so do I. He waits a few secs. and then floors it. I follow and stay on him pretty good. I ten follow him back into the hood. We get on a service road and commence to fllor it again. Again I stay right with him on his rear. Next we make another right by this time we are both laughing and having a good time. We copied the same feat again only this time to about 70-80 mph or so. I stay right with him, no gaining, but not trailing off at all either. We get to the next light. He says to me " damn that thing is fast, have you ever raced at Milan? (local drag track) I said nope but I will this year sometime. I then asked him if he wanted to go on green he said sure. So I reved to about 4.5-5k and launched beautifully on green. Hes tires squealed, mine chirped and by 60 mph I had 3-4 cars on him. We get to the next light and he says "damn that AWD/ 5speed is fast" and that he only has an automatic . I told him he was strong from a roll though and gave him prop's on that. He looked disappointed though. We split and then I realized that he had dealers tag on it! Daymn! I guess I messed up some dealers day.
    Nice dude though; we really got some cool people around this area. I never got the impression that he was some domestic d*&*head, just a cool dude who likes fast cars too.
    Oh and whoever says that a Stg 2 WRX is a dog from a roll ( 15-on up) must be driving my dad's soon to be 552WHP Vortec supercharged Lexus SC400. But that's another story hehehe.
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

good kill, i bet that dude didn't expect to lose that bad to an import. Can't wait until I get my stage 2 so I can do the same to the v8 guys around here.

04 wrx wrb stock

Sounds fun.
    A stage 2 is definately not slow from a roll. But if you would have continued the race beyond 80mph, you would have seen that 02 Z28 pull away hard. WRX's actually pull nicely up to about 80mph or so. Its over 80mph that the car really slows down (compared to a LS1 z28, Cobra, etc).

But seeing that 90% of street races only go to 80mph or so, go kick some more axx.

Thumbs up

Good runs... I've had some close runs with LS1's up through part of 3rd gear, and then they start pouring it on after that. And yes, not all of us V-8 guys are jerks... Well, not all of the time anyway...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Sounds fun.
    A stage 2 is definately not slow from a roll. But if you would have continued the race beyond 80mph, you would have seen that 02 Z28 pull away hard. WRX's actually pull nicely up to about 80mph or so. Its over 80mph that the car really slows down (compared to a LS1 z28, Cobra, etc).

But seeing that 90% of street races only go to 80mph or so, go kick some more axx.
    i would agree that the V8 pulls after about 80 cuz last week i raced a lightning and did good until we hit about 70 but off the line it was an embarssment for him cuz i am almost stock. but once i get stage 2 ill be back for more.

nice kill
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Sounds fun.

yup
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

J-H
    I ran a Z28 on the highway......up to 110 or so and I was slowly pulling away.....he had two people in the car though....

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

Quote Originally Posted by J-H
    I ran a Z28 on the highway......up to 110 or so and I was slowly pulling away.....he had two people in the car though....

That odd man.. My stock Z would pull on most stock stangs at 120+. It's not that the Z pulls any hard at those speeds it's just that most cars fall off around there and the Z-28 doesn't..

nice kill.....launching on a wrx wont kill the tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by Mid117
    nice kill.....launching on a wrx wont kill the tranny?
    75 k on original clutch no problems. It's not the tranny it's the driver. I have plenty of 5k launches too!

We were very close to 80 and nothing was happening. Actually it seemed like I may have been actually gaining a little when we let off. What does a z28 auto do in the 1/4 anyway? Anyone know off hand?

I raced an auto 2000 SS when i was stock, i managed to put enough on him while i was spinning to hold him off till almost 100 where he bearly crept by me (still to catch up from a 4-5 car loss at about 60 is alot of pulling), I hope to run into him this summer though with my vf-34, might even take him from a roll with that. Nice kill man, those things are beasts, and i always love running into someone else that can respect any fast car, Im so sick of people getting all pissed about the whole import vs. domestic thing, hell half the 'imports' are manufactured in america (or canada) anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H

I am willing to bet that was an LT1
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I am willing to bet that was an LT1
    I agree.. The LT1 was nothing more then a 350 with TPI and a 4 bolt main. Nice motors and could be modded easy enough but bone stock was only about 175hp to 190hp maybe.. When the SS got the LS1 it was putting down 275hp I believe.. and could be modded to 500+ easy enough.. That was a monster of a motor for it's day..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.