Raced on my test drive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Raced on my test drive within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I pull out of the lot with my wife in the front and the dealer in the back. We turn ...

Thumbs up Raced on my test drive

I pull out of the lot with my wife in the front and the dealer in the back. We turn to head out 67 in El Cajon to see what the white sedan can do. As we are waiting at the light, two young guys pull up in a nappy civic with some kinda pipe (or was it a bad muffler). They are looking at the car. Then the passenger rolls down the window, as do I. They are saying what a sweet f'n car the wrx is. I'm laughing cos it's a test drive and my wife turns to the dealer and says, "You called them on the cell and told them to meet us here, didn't you?" We all laugh. I get over to get on the 67 and these guys follow us. I'm just trying the car out, getting used to the cluch since I haven't driven a stick in a while. The civic dudes follow me on the freeway and get next to me going about 55. I'm on the left and they are on the right. I look over and the driver is nodding his head and punching his car up. I think, "What the hell; let's really give this car a test drive." So, I drop into third and let the turbo blow. I heard the guys muffler get really loud, but it looked like he was standing still. By this time I am almost crying, I'm laughing so hard. Then my wife says, "I don't think we should get this car if you are going to be doing that." All smiles gone. I had to reminder her again how safe the WRX is about 15 times during the test drive and promise that I would never race... "unless I was sure it was safe" I added under my breath.

We didn't get that car that day, but now I'm waiting for my white sedan to come in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Performance sells!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

hmmmm,

as they say: w00T

And welcome aboard. NO MORE STREET RACING. LOL.

-Jim

So....what did the salesman say during all of this?!? I bet he was like ! Nice kill, and welcome aboard the board!
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

Hey your first Kill and you don't even own a WRX yet. That's a pretty good record to start out with...

-Jason-
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Not to be a stick in the mud, but it's not very nice to race a car that hasn't been broken in yet. I feel sorry for the guy buying that car.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

Originally posted by AutoXJunkie
    Not to be a stick in the mud, but it's not very nice to race a car that hasn't been broken in yet. I feel sorry for the guy buying that car.
    You old stick in the mud! j/k. I know what you're saying - it's just tough to not have at 'er when you're on your test drive; you wanna see what they can do. My test drive was in a WRX that was already broken in, so I had no such compunctions.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

Exactly why I ordered mine. Nice kill.

I did a similar thing in a 3rd gen RX-7 I was test driving it back in the day. The salesman said "You know, you can still get a ticket in this thing even with dealer plates."

welcome to the board and nice kill even though the car wasnt broken in. i hope nobody races mine before i get it o well ill have to order it then lol
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

The salesman didn't say a thing during the little "race." But he had a lot to say about the benefits of owning a Subaru. Actually, he was really one of the best salesmen I have had to deal with.

You know one shouldn't push a car that isn't broken in. I felt a little bad about driving the car like that . But I was planning on buying that car! It had everything I wanted, but we couldn't do the deal that day. It was getting late and I had to go to work. And I was leaving town the next morning for a week. My wife didn't want to come back and make the deal on her own, so it was going to have to wait until I got back a week later. I asked the dealer if I could put a deposit on it and have them hold it, but no dice. When I got back, I called them and it was gone. I went over the next day and put my deposit down on my white sedan. The good thing too, no kooks like me will ever get to test drive it!

Heh, that's why when i picked my car i chose the one that's in the showroom that had 0 miles on it
    Subaru 17' inch BBS wheels /w Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires, STi Pedals and Tint so far :-P

No reason not to push a car during its break in. The break in nonsense is just a myth, and pointless. It doesn't make any difference.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

Originally posted by JimmyNY
    No reason not to push a car during its break in. The break in nonsense is just a myth, and pointless. It doesn't make any difference.
    DUDE!!! What are you talking about. It's not a myth. Have you seen your oil after the first oil change? It's got little metal shavings in it from the engine that are a result of the engine breaking in. It's universal common knowledge that you baby your baby for the first 1,000 miles. Back me up here guys.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

When we went to test drive the WRX, there was no way I'm going into the RSX-S that I have been waiting a whole year for. I told my wife that I like the looks of the RSX-S better but theres no freeking way I would get the RSX-S anymore because I'm not gonna lose to no WRX.
    I've been racing Honda's/Acura's since 1990 and it was so hard to jump into a SUBARU. Knowing what Honda/Acura is capable of, was nothing compared to what a WRX can do on the streets.
    All the modified Honda/Acura's that I had could never take the modified V-8's off the line. It always took til 3rd gear to real in the big boys on the streets. Now with the WRX, it isnt hard beating a big fat V-8 on the streets from stop light to stop light. Most V-8 racers will not race top end, they will only normally race from stop light to stop light. It doesnt make sense to be running 100-160mph. Anyone with the right mind understands this.
    For people who get off racing in the streets, the RSX-S isnt the right car for it. Yes, I've heard RSX people say they didnt buy the car to race but every day I see and hear RSX people racing those cars against other Hondas all the time. The RSX-S is a great car and I wouldnt bash it.

Re: Raced on my test drive

Originally posted by Bilkid
    I pull out of the lot with my wife in the front and the dealer in the back. We turn to head out 67 in El Cajon to see what the white sedan can do. As we are waiting at the light, two young guys pull up in a nappy civic with some kinda pipe (or was it a bad muffler). They are looking at the car. Then the passenger rolls down the window, as do I. They are saying what a sweet f'n car the wrx is. I'm laughing cos it's a test drive and my wife turns to the dealer and says, "You called them on the cell and told them to meet us here, didn't you?" We all laugh. I get over to get on the 67 and these guys follow us. I'm just trying the car out, getting used to the cluch since I haven't driven a stick in a while. The civic dudes follow me on the freeway and get next to me going about 55. I'm on the left and they are on the right. I look over and the driver is nodding his head and punching his car up. I think, "What the hell; let's really give this car a test drive." So, I drop into third and let the turbo blow. I heard the guys muffler get really loud, but it looked like he was standing still. By this time I am almost crying, I'm laughing so hard. Then my wife says, "I don't think we should get this car if you are going to be doing that." All smiles gone. I had to reminder her again how safe the WRX is about 15 times during the test drive and promise that I would never race... "unless I was sure it was safe" I added under my breath.

We didn't get that car that day, but now I'm waiting for my white sedan to come in.
    funny how cool subaru salesmen are. i had a similar experience with one of my wrx test drives. we were at a light, then the guy goes "Go for it!" at which point i floored it and next thing i knew i was in 4th on side streets! didn't look at the speedo, though.
    Last edited by dnaracer; 09-26-2002 at 01:10 AM.
    '02 MBP rex
    ------------------------------------------------
    Brace in the car and believe yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast