'68 Chevelle SS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '68 Chevelle SS within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was headed towards the in-laws for dinner yesterday, and I ran into one of these on the road yesterday. ...

WRX

'68 Chevelle SS

I was headed towards the in-laws for dinner yesterday, and I ran into one of these on the road yesterday. It was a really nice dark red rag top with the top down, and a really nice sounding exhaust. Looked like this old guy was giving his grandson a ride in his car. I caught up with him and tried to pace him for a bit to give him thumbs up, but he didn't look over. So I thought, whatever, and proceeded to move on. Well up ahead, the light started turning red, so I quickly slowed down and lined up next to him. I looked over and he just stared blankly ahead. Just before the light turned green, I saw him out of the corner of my eye, lean to his passenger and say something. Then the light turned green and he gunned it. I didn't have time to launch, so I just stepped on the gas. I stayed even with him until about 4k, then I pulled 1-2 cars on him. When it shifted to 2nd, I pulled many more cars on him and I think he shut down at that point.

I looked up some info and I guess they run 17's stock (4 speed auto trans) to around 9's heavily modded. I'd say he had some light work done, nothing big.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nice you broke his grandson's heart....nice kill...jerk

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCity_WRX
    nice you broke his grandson's heart....nice kill...jerk
    you mean mean man

Quote Originally Posted by WRX

I looked up some info and I guess they run 17's stock (4 speed auto trans) to around 9's heavily modded.
    In stock trim, '68 Chevell SS is a mid 14 second car, depending on it's engine configuration.
    N/A -- 11.9@119 1.911 60' w/street radials
    N2O -- 11.3@126 1.820 60' w/street radials

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    In stock trim, '68 Chevell SS is a mid 14 second car, depending on it's engine configuration.
    The only problem is most of them were the 350 and a few 396 and rarely will you find a 454.. And I DOUBT you are going to find a 454 Convertable racing on the streets..

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    The only problem is most of them were the 350 and a few 396 and rarely will you find a 454..
    That is incorrect. In '68-'69 (as the thread starter specifically stated that it was 1968 Chevelle SS), the 396 engine was generally only available as part of the Chevelle SS package.

1968 Chevelle SS either came with 325/350/375 HP 396 CID.

Even with a 454 though you have to remember that those things weight what like 4500lbs? I mean maybe not quite that much but i know Im not too far off, those things are heavy as hell, its always fun to get to race old cars like that on th e street (in my oppinion) because their almost always a surprise, if their close to stock it might be a 15 second torque queen, if their souped up (which alot of those classics that i see are) who knows, it could be a 500hp monster you never know. good run though, as was stated above if it was an SS it was probably a stock or close to stock 14 second car, which would sound about right for the race u had according to your mods in your sig, Nice kill

I saw a blue Chevelle SS tonight coming to work, didn't get to race him but his exhaust sounded mean and he was weaving in and out of traffic a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by 03EBZ06
    That is incorrect. In '68-'69 (as the thread starter specifically stated that it was 1968 Chevelle SS), the 396 engine was generally only available as part of the Chevelle SS package.

1968 Chevelle SS either came with 325/350/375 HP 396 CID.
    You are right. They didn't come with a 454ci till 1970.

4500lbs?? i know this post is old but i had to chime in on that since im bored. that car probably wieghed 3800-3900lbs.if that. not trying to be a d!@k.

t
    " Grampa I wan't the blue car instead"

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd still like to have an SS. One of my favorite musclecars.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

yeah the 68-69's are hot in my opinion. dont see to many of them either. if i got one it would have to be a 396 original for me to want it.

My last race of the fall was against what looked like a '70 SS. I ran a 13.1 @ 106 to his 12.6 @ 112. I had him until 3/4 of the way down the track. I have it on video, but my we-todd-did-racing account is full. He had a license plate that read "MY RAT". He complimented me on my launch, and I told him I'd be driving a car like his if it didn't snow so much.
    N.E. F4
    Mods

haha, well atleast the passenger will now know that import is the way to go

good kill

staton
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast