WRX vs 911
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX vs 911 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It's a breezy 80 degree day, not a cloud in the sky. The rex has just been washed and I'm ...

WRX vs 911

It's a breezy 80 degree day, not a cloud in the sky. The rex has just been washed and I'm enjoying the breath-taking views on the twisties overlooking the water. Everything was perfect except for the Forrester 2 cars ahead going below the speed limit. Right on cue, the Forrester turns off. I reach for the shifter and the 80's 911 in front of me takes off.

The Porsche roars ahead about 5 car lengths. I downshift to 2nd and slowly close the gap. We power through the heart of the twisites and the 911 flies through with a death grip on the road. I can feel my wheels beginning to break loose ever so slightly, but I'm still on his tail. I punch it into 3rd, and I see my wife press firmly on her 'imagingary brake pedal', but I press forward undaunted. As I near the redline, the road banks to a straight. I shift into to 4th the 911 begins to walk steadily. Mercifully, traffic appears in the distance and we both shut it down before it got ugly.

I would've loved to have seen the look on his face when he realized he couldn't lose that odd looking station wagon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

lol

nice, i bet you really got it bad from the wife when you got home. "what were you thinking......you could have killed us!!!!!" LOL

Great writing! Loved your account. What fun!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

Re: WRX vs 911

Originally posted by palaban
    I punch it into 3rd, and I see my wife press firmly on her 'imagingary brake pedal', but I press forward undaunted. As I near the redline, the road banks to a straight. I shift into to 4th the 911 begins to walk steadily. Mercifully, traffic appears in the distance and we both shut it down before it got ugly.

I would've loved to have seen the look on his face when he realized he couldn't lose that odd looking station wagon.
    A W00000TTT for the wife!!!!!!

YOU THE MAN!!!!

-Jim

there's more…

Wife: (just as the 911 takes off) Are we faster than that guy?
    Me: Well, you can hear his engine, but you can't even hear ours.

<secret> I thought that my 'not trying' would make me look better for taking our lives into my hands, but you better believe I was trying to catch that guy </secret>

palaban -- do you have any mods on your wagon? I played around with a 911 in traffic, and we were side by side for the most part. All I had was an uppipe and a cat back. This old dude was driving it too, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I just want to compare notes to see where the WRX stands next to a 911. Anyone else care to add some WRX vs 911 insight?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I'm basically stock as far as performance, with only a greddy exhaust and blitz panel filter. I also have Eibach springs and Limix Lineas wrapped in Nitto Z rated rubber. I plan on getting an EBC very soon as well as an upipe and downpipe (when I can afford both). I think it would've been a different story if I had my toys in already. Even with the mods I have now, he couldn't pull on me until we got above 85.

The 911 I was playing with was an 80's model and I don't think it was a turbo. If I remember correctly the non turbo 911's are in the mid to high 5's 0-60. Coupled with the fact the car is 15+ yrs old, I'm sure I could've held my own if I caught him at a light.

C'mon guys! Who are we trying to fool? I raced a new 911 Carrera (no turbo, no 4, no nothing) up the Harlem River Parkway towards the GW Bridge on Sunday, and even though I was pushing redline the whole time, he still walked all over me. Granted no one else on that road could even stay close to us, but it's just a fact of life that a person in a 911 who puts his foot all the way to the floor is going to lose us (stock) WRXs.
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    C'mon guys! Who are we trying to fool? I raced a new 911 Carrera (no turbo, no 4, no nothing) up the Harlem River Parkway towards the GW Bridge on Sunday, and even though I was pushing redline the whole time, he still walked all over me. Granted no one else on that road could even stay close to us, but it's just a fact of life that a person in a 911 who puts his foot all the way to the floor is going to lose us (stock) WRXs.
    Yes, true, but me, Rob, or Carlo = WHOLE NEW STORY

"back in the day" or stock turbo, stock exhuast, I could eat a Boxster alive from 50-120mph. His brakes are the edge at that point, but my Wilwoods should solve that!

-Jim

Originally posted by Bask Oner
    I don't doubt that a NEW one would walk us on the highway, but I raced one on the twisties. On roads like that skill and balls play a bigger part in the equation. Keep in mind this was an OLD car, and he did pull away steadily when we hit the straights.

btw, do you write? Your tag sounds vaguely familiar.

Palaban...you're right, an old one must be slower than a new one, what was I thinking. Oh yeah, I know what I was thinking. The 911 Turbo is my dream car...I'd ditch my rex for it in a hearbeat.

By the way, Harlem River Drive, a highway through Manhattan, takes some serious cojones when you're whipping it through slow traffic.

Me, write? Course. Check my site ==>

Fatcaps.com
    Matt
    WRX-less, now RSX-y!!!

I don't think there's anyone here that wouldn't swap their cars for a 911 turbo, but the price difference is also about 100K. Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and Subaru engineers had Porsche squarely in their minds when designing our cars with the horizontally opposed engine, etc. Funny, when that old 911 opened it up, it sounded a catless WRX with a Nurspec.

…been there done that. I grew up in NY and had my share of 'fun' on the FDR - the narrow lanes, occasional pot holes, unpredictable a$$h*le cab drivers. If the Carerra guy whooped you there, you gotta give him props for having some skills, and serious cojones.

I'll check out your site. Peace.

I do believe the Subaru guys were trained by the Porsche guys at some point in time, if I can find the article that I believe states this I will post it.

-joe

I dusted a Porsche Boxster at the redlight with the girlfriend next and he has his woman too. Boxster is not a good car for drag racing.

However of all the 911s that I've seen, they're all driven by weaklings. Including a Ferrari 348tb guy that doesn't look like he knows how to shift gears.

A skilled driver in a STI or S202 would easily get the best of the Porsche 911. Both are very similar cars, in terms of philosophy. turbo, Boxer engine, AWD, but the 911 has the advantage of the mid mount engine on the handling side.
    02' WRX

Originally posted by WReXnFX
    I dusted a Porsche Boxster at the redlight with the girlfriend next and he has his woman too. Boxster is not a good car for drag racing.

However of all the 911s that I've seen, they're all driven by weaklings. Including a Ferrari 348tb guy that doesn't look like he knows how to shift gears.

A skilled driver in a STI or S202 would easily get the best of the Porsche 911. Both are very similar cars, in terms of philosophy. turbo, Boxer engine, AWD, but the 911 has the advantage of the mid mount engine on the handling side.
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!! - OMFG!

-Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast