Note to Self.....Modded 03-03 Cobras are FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Note to Self.....Modded 03-03 Cobras are FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; …………..But not fast enough to beat me! So I was heading out in the Evo last night to meet some ...

Note to Self.....Modded 03-03 Cobras are FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

…………..But not fast enough to beat me!

So I was heading out in the Evo last night to meet some friends at Applebee’s. I pull behind what appears to be a 03-04 GT….Nope Cobra, Mint condition. Then I notice its exhaust. Definitely aftermarket stainless steel exhaust split out the back. What I found out later was some type of intake and a pulley upgrade but that is it I think. I am also not sure if he had a Cat-back or a header back exhaust but I could here it way over my Stereo System.

Anyway I am pulling up to a 2-lane HWY and going to make a right while he is going straight. He looks in the rearview and sees me and bangs a right instead! Sweet, he waits for me so I turn right after him when the light turned green and he is in the right and hits it as soon as I get even but I was the same in 2nd.

It Begins…..

2nd we are even, 3rd…..Even? 4th I begin to pass him, PASS HIM!!!!! WTF??? AT the end of forth I have maybe a half a length on him, he shuts down as he is in the right lane with cars coming up, I am in the left free and clear. I slow down. He opens his windows and screams some energetic expletives and thumbs up with “That fah king thing is FAST!!! I say hell yeah (I am about as surprised as he is)

We go again but I let him in front cuz he wanted to see if I can stay on his ass. He just hits it and we are off I bang through 3rd-4th-5th…… Shifting a little past 8000 each shift (272's make power till about 8200 but then it just falls off with the 16G). I am running 21PSI of boost till redline and holding it, slight 23PSI spike with each shift, I made 350WHP on 19PSI, no Idea on 21PSI but there is no noticeable or detrimental knock so I seem to be getting away with it. Just weighted my car when I installed my coil over setup, 3113 Pounds. All the way up to 150MPH we rolled in single file, not an inch was gained either way.

Needless to say I am quite happy, Cobra’s are fast but can be played with. I JUST WISH I could take one from a stop; every race with cars like this has always been from a roll…….

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Your car sounds like a beast. Sweet race. I'd love to own a car that could hang with a cobra... and in your case pass it.

J-H
    DANG That is freaking crazy man.....How much more do you think these 2 PSI squeeze outta the EVO?

I bet the cobra driver did not expect that....sweet, sweet race......

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

No he did not. He thought I was a stupid Honda kid with a HID kit . He had no Idea, he kept looking back at me and I just slowly passed him, fawker let off as I was passing him. car was fast. Probably just as fast as me but I may havce more agressive gearing down low in my 3-4th gears. Funny thing is I hit 5th in stride and did not lose ground at 150MPH.

2PSI? Maybe 10WHP if I am lucky

Nice kill. What were his mods? Do you know? People say "modded Cobras" alot but there is a HUGE difference between one with a few light mods and one that is heavily modded.

I am sure it was lightly modded I think he said he was over 400WHP and had the basic boltons, like an intake and Exhaust, and a Lightning pully to get 12PSI I think up from 8PSI. Either way I doubt he was tuned properly, if he was he woulda beat me. Thank god his car is a pig .

Welp time to look for a bigger turbo.

Didn't Blades spend ~$1300 and put down 470whp?

I'm surprised you got him from a roll (stock form don't they put down ~330-340whp). Seems like with a pulley and flash he'd walk most rides. Nice kill though. First time I saw Evo's, I didn't like them... now I love them.

Sick ride bro, props on the kill.
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

330-350WHP stock that is right, they are also 3600-3700 Pounds, that is heavy.

Don't get me wrong, this story is on the verge on unbelievable but it did happen. It's not like I killed him, just wrang out every inch of my Evo and I got him.

Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD

Don't get me wrong, this story is on the verge on unbelievable but it did happen. It's not like I killed him, just wrang out every inch of my Evo and I got him.
    Yeah, they are porky. I wasn't calling BS, I know you have the weight advantage; 23psi is insane! Props for the kill.
    2004 Sedan Stage IV (w/ .5L envy) >>> Stripped & Sold!
    2007 Wagon Stock >>> Soon to be traded in for an 08 STI

Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD

Well first off, Nice Kill Your Evo must be running an 11.90 with your mods. Hell my boy's Evo ran a 12.4 at 106mph with Intake, Full Tb exaust, Ecu flash, boost controller at 21psi,on 100 octane. I'm sure you are in the 11's. So I know this story is 100% true.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

I onlr run 23PSI in the LOW Rpm's, It drops to 21PSi at redline.

I will hit the track soon. More then likey mix in some 108 and pump the boost to 25PSI and see what happens.

nice run! I am suprised you did so well considering he had pulley, intake, and catback... that is good for 400whp+ on the cobra! Sounds like you did some mighty fine driving
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

You really have a beast there! Nice kill! My 03 Cobra makes 400 rwhp with only intake and catback. A Cobra w/a lightning pulley, intake, catback should make 450 rwhp and run low 12's@118-120. We definetly are HEAVY. Mine weighs 3850 lbs with me in it (I weight a porky 235).

Nice kill! Get that thing to the track and see what it will do!
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

nice kill man.. i believe you i've ran into a few cobra's myself... and its been just the way you describe it....im pushing 22 to redline and im still waiting on the 2nd of april to get tuned by turbotrix again... i'll let you know how tha turns out. again good kill
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

I love how modable Evo's are on the stock turbo. I want one
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast