stock Wrx vs. Acura TL-s
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

This is a discussion on stock Wrx vs. Acura TL-s within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, about a month ago I am cruising down the highway and along side me comes this black TL-S. He ...

  1. #1
    Registered User scubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    223

    stock Wrx vs. Acura TL-s

    So, about a month ago I am cruising down the highway and along side me comes this black TL-S. He basically passes me and slows down and again. You know the whole bit. Anyway, So he gets me to race from about 60-125 mph. I drop gear as soon as he hits the pedal and we are off. I pull maybe a good half car till about 100 mph and then he starts pulling back. At the end of this he gets me by about a bumper and then we let off. I was happy that I did that well on top end. I hear all the time that WRX's don't have good top end. Anyway, It was fun and I enjoyed testing my car stock and all. This is my first Suby and I love it. I have been a Honda guy for along time and this car is fun. So, there is my two cents.

    Has anyone else raced a TL-S before?


    Other car's I had:
    93' Camaro Z28, 95' Eclipse GS, 92' Integra GS, 91' MR2 Turbo, 00' Civic SI, 89' CRX SI, 97' Accord EX V6 (Totalled), 97' Wrangler 4x4, 91' Talon TSI AWD (Blown motor), 96' 240sx KA-Turbo, 96' 300ZX TT, 05' WRX, 05' STI (Totalled), 05' STI, and 92' SC400
    Still in the Family: 05' STI (Wife's Car), 92' SC400.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User creditcards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    san diego, california
    Posts
    762
    yeah, and it was too easy of a kill.

  4. #3
    Registered User scubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by creditcards
    yeah, and it was too easy of a kill.

    Did you do it from a dig? or was it on the fly?

    Did you have any mods?
    Other car's I had:
    93' Camaro Z28, 95' Eclipse GS, 92' Integra GS, 91' MR2 Turbo, 00' Civic SI, 89' CRX SI, 97' Accord EX V6 (Totalled), 97' Wrangler 4x4, 91' Talon TSI AWD (Blown motor), 96' 240sx KA-Turbo, 96' 300ZX TT, 05' WRX, 05' STI (Totalled), 05' STI, and 92' SC400
    Still in the Family: 05' STI (Wife's Car), 92' SC400.

  5. #4
    Registered User WRXcelration's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Allentown PA
    Posts
    2,797
    nice run
    05 STI

    Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

  6. #5
    Registered User TurnWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,828
    Quote Originally Posted by scubee
    Did you do it from a dig? or was it on the fly?

    Did you have any mods?

    he has like a gt35r turbo or something

  7. #6
    Registered User creditcards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    san diego, california
    Posts
    762
    Quote Originally Posted by scubee
    Did you do it from a dig? or was it on the fly?

    Did you have any mods?
    we went on the fly. i gave him a car length. i do have some mods, but nothing out of the norm.

  8. #7
    Registered User happasaiyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Rolling Meadows, IL
    Posts
    860
    i did...when i was stock (STi) i shrugged it off at first, because i was trying not to go too hard on the car, plus i didnt want to embarass him...but then he kept doing what you described- the accellerating and then dropping back then repeating over and over. so i floored it and by the time we hit 120, he was a couple buses back. when i slowed down, he stayed pretty far back.
    '04 PSM STi - modded (sr50+the works)
    '05 JGM RSX Type-S - stock

  9. #8
    Registered User scubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by happasaiyan
    i did...when i was stock (STi) i shrugged it off at first, because i was trying not to go too hard on the car, plus i didnt want to embarass him...but then he kept doing what you described- the accellerating and then dropping back then repeating over and over. so i floored it and by the time we hit 120, he was a couple buses back. when i slowed down, he stayed pretty far back.

    I was bone stock too. except I have just a WRX. So we where more evenly matched. Now I have mods and I think he would have no chance at all. I am ordering AP stage 2 today also. Its going to be sweet.
    Other car's I had:
    93' Camaro Z28, 95' Eclipse GS, 92' Integra GS, 91' MR2 Turbo, 00' Civic SI, 89' CRX SI, 97' Accord EX V6 (Totalled), 97' Wrangler 4x4, 91' Talon TSI AWD (Blown motor), 96' 240sx KA-Turbo, 96' 300ZX TT, 05' WRX, 05' STI (Totalled), 05' STI, and 92' SC400
    Still in the Family: 05' STI (Wife's Car), 92' SC400.

  10. #9
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by scubee
    So, about a month ago I am cruising down the highway and along side me comes this black TL-S. He basically passes me and slows down and again. You know the whole bit. Anyway, So he gets me to race from about 60-125 mph. I drop gear as soon as he hits the pedal and we are off. I pull maybe a good half car till about 100 mph and then he starts pulling back. At the end of this he gets me by about a bumper and then we let off. I was happy that I did that well on top end. I hear all the time that WRX's don't have good top end. Anyway, It was fun and I enjoyed testing my car stock and all. This is my first Suby and I love it. I have been a Honda guy for along time and this car is fun. So, there is my two cents.

    Has anyone else raced a TL-S before?


    Good run. They are pretty quick cars actually. Not exactly a "fun" car to drive, but they are nice and comfortable and have some nice luxury to it, and that engine just makes it a nice, powerful, cruising car. They run higher 14's stock (14.6-14.8) and trap around 96/97mph.
    A buddy of mine owns one and we did a few runs when I was stock, and when I was modded.
    1) He had a stock 03' TL-S vs My stock 02' WRX. From a 0-90 dig run I had a good 2.5 cars on him or so. From a roll (40-100) I jumped about 1 car ahead and held it until 80mph where he started to pull even and we stayed even with him inching up as we went to 100mph. any higher and he would have continued to pull on me.

    2) We ran again when I was modded. He added a comptech CAI and I had (turboback, uppipe, hoses, boost upto 16psi). We did not bother from a dig because we both knew it would be REALLY ugly for him. So we did the same 40-100 roll. I jumped up 1 car, then 2 cars, then by the time we hit 80 I was expecting him to hold ground.... but NO, I kept pulling. By the time we got to 100 or so I had about 3 cars on him if not more. I dont talk to him anymore, but now he supposedly has a catback and headers so another rolling race would be interesting.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  11. #10
    Registered User scubee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    Good run. They are pretty quick cars actually. Not exactly a "fun" car to drive, but they are nice and comfortable and have some nice luxury to it, and that engine just makes it a nice, powerful, cruising car. They run higher 14's stock (14.6-14.8) and trap around 96/97mph.
    A buddy of mine owns one and we did a few runs when I was stock, and when I was modded.
    1) He had a stock 03' TL-S vs My stock 02' WRX. From a 0-90 dig run I had a good 2.5 cars on him or so. From a roll (40-100) I jumped about 1 car ahead and held it until 80mph where he started to pull even and we stayed even with him inching up as we went to 100mph. any higher and he would have continued to pull on me.

    2) We ran again when I was modded. He added a comptech CAI and I had (turboback, uppipe, hoses, boost upto 16psi). We did not bother from a dig because we both knew it would be REALLY ugly for him. So we did the same 40-100 roll. I jumped up 1 car, then 2 cars, then by the time we hit 80 I was expecting him to hold ground.... but NO, I kept pulling. By the time we got to 100 or so I had about 3 cars on him if not more. I dont talk to him anymore, but now he supposedly has a catback and headers so another rolling race would be interesting.

    My friend had a CL-S before I had my WRX so I never got to see wht the comptech race headers and CAI, ehxaust did against a Rex. I drove his car many times and it did have quiet the get up and go for a big ass two door car.... He now has a Z06 and I am no compation at all. oh well....
    Other car's I had:
    93' Camaro Z28, 95' Eclipse GS, 92' Integra GS, 91' MR2 Turbo, 00' Civic SI, 89' CRX SI, 97' Accord EX V6 (Totalled), 97' Wrangler 4x4, 91' Talon TSI AWD (Blown motor), 96' 240sx KA-Turbo, 96' 300ZX TT, 05' WRX, 05' STI (Totalled), 05' STI, and 92' SC400
    Still in the Family: 05' STI (Wife's Car), 92' SC400.

  12. #11
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by scubee
    My friend had a CL-S before I had my WRX so I never got to see wht the comptech race headers and CAI, ehxaust did against a Rex. I drove his car many times and it did have quiet the get up and go for a big ass two door car.... He now has a Z06 and I am no compation at all. oh well....
    a CL-S 6spd w/ race header, intake and exhaust would run REALLY close with a wrx from a dig, if not beat it, and from a roll the wrx will get owned HARD!
    I have never driven a CL-S 6spd. I have always wondered how they drive though
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  13. #12
    Registered User Type-RGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    a CL-S 6spd w/ race header, intake and exhaust would run REALLY close with a wrx from a dig, if not beat it, and from a roll the wrx will get owned HARD!
    I have never driven a CL-S 6spd. I have always wondered how they drive though
    Scubee and I raced our friend in his cl-s. We were in my Type-R. It was pretty even until we hit 90 or so. At about 110 he pulled about half a car on us. There where 2 of us in my car and he was alone. A cl-s would give a stock Wrx a run for its money, but put turbo back exhaust on the rex and it would take the cl-s by a little.
    Last edited by Type-RGirl; 03-24-2005 at 12:56 AM.
    " I wasn't racing, I was winning"

  14. #13
    Registered User DTR rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chi-town, IL
    Posts
    27,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Type-RGirl
    Scubee and I raced our friend in his cl-s. We were in my Type-R. It was pretty even until we hit 90 or so. At about 110 he pulled about half a car on us. There where 2 of us in my car and he was alone. A cl-s would give a stock Wrx a run for its money, but put turbo back exhaust on the rex and it would take the cl-s by a little.
    were you both stock?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

  15. #14
    Registered User Type-RGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    were you both stock?
    No he had his race header, cai and exhaust. I had cai, jdm header, exhaust and ecu chip. So, for those mods we came out pretty close.

    My husband also ran the same guy in his new 05 TL w/cai we where in the wrx still stock. That new tl didn't pull at all. It was great fun....
    " I wasn't racing, I was winning"

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    In the slow lane
    Posts
    1,660
    nice run..

    my friend has an 03 TL-S with comptech icebox, comptech header, lowering springs, crank pulley and also some phenolic spacers. We don't run from a stop, since i am not a fan of launching my car (and we already know what would happen from a stop if i decided to), but when we start from a roll, it's never pretty for him. When we start from around 40mph, by the time we hit 120, he is usually a couple of buslengths back.

    They are very nice cars though, in fact, I prefer riding in his car than i do mine. Mine goes fast, but the coilovers beat the hell out of you (switching to struts and prings on tuesday), and his car is also a bit of a chick magnet too, so it is pretty quick, and has appeal too. Has a killer stock sound system too (compared to SUbaru's stock system)
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •