Subaru WRX Forum banner

stock Wrx vs. Acura TL-s

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  illusion 
#1 ·
So, about a month ago I am cruising down the highway and along side me comes this black TL-S. He basically passes me and slows down and again. You know the whole bit. Anyway, So he gets me to race from about 60-125 mph. I drop gear as soon as he hits the pedal and we are off. I pull maybe a good half car till about 100 mph and then he starts pulling back. At the end of this he gets me by about a bumper and then we let off. I was happy that I did that well on top end. I hear all the time that WRX's don't have good top end. Anyway, It was fun and I enjoyed testing my car stock and all. This is my first Suby and I love it. I have been a Honda guy for along time and this car is fun. So, there is my two cents.

Has anyone else raced a TL-S before?

:D :D :D

#3 ·
creditcards said:
yeah, and it was too easy of a kill. ;)

Did you do it from a dig? or was it on the fly?

Did you have any mods?

#7 ·
i did...when i was stock (STi) i shrugged it off at first, because i was trying not to go too hard on the car, plus i didnt want to embarass him...but then he kept doing what you described- the accellerating and then dropping back then repeating over and over. so i floored it and by the time we hit 120, he was a couple buses back. when i slowed down, he stayed pretty far back. :rotfl:

#8 ·
happasaiyan said:
i did...when i was stock (STi) i shrugged it off at first, because i was trying not to go too hard on the car, plus i didnt want to embarass him...but then he kept doing what you described- the accellerating and then dropping back then repeating over and over. so i floored it and by the time we hit 120, he was a couple buses back. when i slowed down, he stayed pretty far back. :rotfl:

I was bone stock too. except I have just a WRX. So we where more evenly matched. Now I have mods and I think he would have no chance at all. I am ordering AP stage 2 today also. Its going to be sweet.

#9 ·
scubee said:
So, about a month ago I am cruising down the highway and along side me comes this black TL-S. He basically passes me and slows down and again. You know the whole bit. Anyway, So he gets me to race from about 60-125 mph. I drop gear as soon as he hits the pedal and we are off. I pull maybe a good half car till about 100 mph and then he starts pulling back. At the end of this he gets me by about a bumper and then we let off. I was happy that I did that well on top end. I hear all the time that WRX's don't have good top end. Anyway, It was fun and I enjoyed testing my car stock and all. This is my first Suby and I love it. I have been a Honda guy for along time and this car is fun. So, there is my two cents.

Has anyone else raced a TL-S before?

:D :D :D
Good run. They are pretty quick cars actually. Not exactly a "fun" car to drive, but they are nice and comfortable and have some nice luxury to it, and that engine just makes it a nice, powerful, cruising car. They run higher 14's stock (14.6-14.8) and trap around 96/97mph.
A buddy of mine owns one and we did a few runs when I was stock, and when I was modded.
1) He had a stock 03' TL-S vs My stock 02' WRX. From a 0-90 dig run I had a good 2.5 cars on him or so. From a roll (40-100) I jumped about 1 car ahead and held it until 80mph where he started to pull even and we stayed even with him inching up as we went to 100mph. any higher and he would have continued to pull on me.

2) We ran again when I was modded. He added a comptech CAI and I had (turboback, uppipe, hoses, boost upto 16psi). We did not bother from a dig because we both knew it would be REALLY ugly for him. So we did the same 40-100 roll. I jumped up 1 car, then 2 cars, then by the time we hit 80 I was expecting him to hold ground.... but NO, I kept pulling. By the time we got to 100 or so I had about 3 cars on him if not more. I dont talk to him anymore, but now he supposedly has a catback and headers so another rolling race would be interesting.

#10 ·
DTR rex said:
Good run. They are pretty quick cars actually. Not exactly a "fun" car to drive, but they are nice and comfortable and have some nice luxury to it, and that engine just makes it a nice, powerful, cruising car. They run higher 14's stock (14.6-14.8) and trap around 96/97mph.
A buddy of mine owns one and we did a few runs when I was stock, and when I was modded.
1) He had a stock 03' TL-S vs My stock 02' WRX. From a 0-90 dig run I had a good 2.5 cars on him or so. From a roll (40-100) I jumped about 1 car ahead and held it until 80mph where he started to pull even and we stayed even with him inching up as we went to 100mph. any higher and he would have continued to pull on me.

2) We ran again when I was modded. He added a comptech CAI and I had (turboback, uppipe, hoses, boost upto 16psi). We did not bother from a dig because we both knew it would be REALLY ugly for him. So we did the same 40-100 roll. I jumped up 1 car, then 2 cars, then by the time we hit 80 I was expecting him to hold ground.... but NO, I kept pulling. By the time we got to 100 or so I had about 3 cars on him if not more. I dont talk to him anymore, but now he supposedly has a catback and headers so another rolling race would be interesting.

My friend had a CL-S before I had my WRX so I never got to see wht the comptech race headers and CAI, ehxaust did against a Rex. I drove his car many times and it did have quiet the get up and go for a big ass two door car.... He now has a Z06 and I am no compation at all. :thumbdown oh well....

#11 ·
scubee said:
My friend had a CL-S before I had my WRX so I never got to see wht the comptech race headers and CAI, ehxaust did against a Rex. I drove his car many times and it did have quiet the get up and go for a big ass two door car.... He now has a Z06 and I am no compation at all. :thumbdown oh well....
a CL-S 6spd w/ race header, intake and exhaust would run REALLY close with a wrx from a dig, if not beat it, and from a roll the wrx will get owned HARD!
I have never driven a CL-S 6spd. I have always wondered how they drive though

#12 · (Edited)
DTR rex said:
a CL-S 6spd w/ race header, intake and exhaust would run REALLY close with a wrx from a dig, if not beat it, and from a roll the wrx will get owned HARD!
I have never driven a CL-S 6spd. I have always wondered how they drive though
Scubee and I raced our friend in his cl-s. We were in my Type-R. It was pretty even until we hit 90 or so. At about 110 he pulled about half a car on us. There where 2 of us in my car and he was alone. A cl-s would give a stock Wrx a run for its money, but put turbo back exhaust on the rex and it would take the cl-s by a little.

#13 ·
Type-RGirl said:
Scubee and I raced our friend in his cl-s. We were in my Type-R. It was pretty even until we hit 90 or so. At about 110 he pulled about half a car on us. There where 2 of us in my car and he was alone. A cl-s would give a stock Wrx a run for its money, but put turbo back exhaust on the rex and it would take the cl-s by a little.
were you both stock?

#14 ·
DTR rex said:
were you both stock?
No he had his race header, cai and exhaust. I had cai, jdm header, exhaust and ecu chip. So, for those mods we came out pretty close.

My husband also ran the same guy in his new 05 TL w/cai we where in the wrx still stock. That new tl didn't pull at all. It was great fun.... :wiggles:

#15 ·
nice run..

my friend has an 03 TL-S with comptech icebox, comptech header, lowering springs, crank pulley and also some phenolic spacers. We don't run from a stop, since i am not a fan of launching my car (and we already know what would happen from a stop if i decided to), but when we start from a roll, it's never pretty for him. When we start from around 40mph, by the time we hit 120, he is usually a couple of buslengths back.

They are very nice cars though, in fact, I prefer riding in his car than i do mine. Mine goes fast, but the coilovers beat the hell out of you (switching to struts and prings on tuesday), and his car is also a bit of a chick magnet too, so it is pretty quick, and has appeal too. Has a killer stock sound system too (compared to SUbaru's stock system)

#16 ·
jigga said:
nice run..

my friend has an 03 TL-S with comptech icebox, comptech header, lowering springs, crank pulley and also some phenolic spacers. We don't run from a stop, since i am not a fan of launching my car (and we already know what would happen from a stop if i decided to), but when we start from a roll, it's never pretty for him. When we start from around 40mph, by the time we hit 120, he is usually a couple of buslengths back.

They are very nice cars though, in fact, I prefer riding in his car than i do mine. Mine goes fast, but the coilovers beat the hell out of you (switching to struts and prings on tuesday), and his car is also a bit of a chick magnet too, so it is pretty quick, and has appeal too. Has a killer stock sound system too (compared to SUbaru's stock system)
lol, your comparing a mid 14sec TL-S to your low 12sec WRX. I would imagine you would walk him :eek3:

#17 ·
Good kill.

When I was Cobb stg 2 I played with a friends 6 speed TL-S with CT Headers, Iceox and exhaust and although I could take him out of the hole, he'd slowly walk me every time. They aren't that slow

Last month I had the sad misfortune of messing with the wrong CL-S... I saw a big Comptech Sticker on the back window and didn't think much of it(I had comptech icebox, headers, and sways on my accord v6) I thought the little VF34 would stomp a mudhole in him. Boy was I sadly mistaken. He was inching a little at the light, but I didn't want to run up his ass when the light went so I waited for him to go, then stomped on it. He was about 3 cars up when I launched and was instantly on his ass, but that was the end of it, he pulled on me like a freaking train, I mean not even freaking close. I managed to get next to him a few lights later and had to ask WTF was in that thing. He replied "Comptech supercharger with high boost pulley, custom aftercooler and a few other toys, last dyno was about 375 to the ground on 91 octane" Ouch that hurt. It was a good looking beast too. Black with Black tint and Work Meisters.

#18 ·
illusion said:
Good kill.

When I was Cobb stg 2 I played with a friends 6 speed TL-S with CT Headers, Iceox and exhaust and although I could take him out of the hole, he'd slowly walk me every time. They aren't that slow QUOTE]

You sure it was a "6 speed TL-S?" They don't make 6 speed for tl-s. Unless you were talking about cl-s or the new tl, but not type s.

#19 ·
Nope it's an 02 TL-S that had the tranny barf twice thanks to a little purple bottle, dealer wouldn't warranty the second one and he picked up CL-S tranny and ECU off of ebay :) Now it's pretty much a CL-S in TL guise. As soon as he gets back from overseas it'll be a Comptech Supercharged version, and then I refuse to play with him lol

#20 ·
illusion said:
Nope it's an 02 TL-S that had the tranny barf twice thanks to a little purple bottle, dealer wouldn't warranty the second one and he picked up CL-S tranny and ECU off of ebay :) Now it's pretty much a CL-S in TL guise. As soon as he gets back from overseas it'll be a Comptech Supercharged version, and then I refuse to play with him lol
interesting. I would love to know how that performs with the 6spd tranny.

#21 · (Edited)
It should be pretty interesting when he's done, but quite a pretty penny invested, I'm more interested in bang for the buck, in the end he'll have a high powered FWD car that doesn't really handle all that well, one of the reasons I ditched my accord V6. After Comptech Anti Sways, front and rear upper and lower tie bars, custom cross brace, and Tein SS it still handled like a portly pig.

Here's a Comptech Supercharged CL-S 6 speed. The red and purple is no I/C and 5psi, the other two runs are I/C and 7psi boost. Pretty peppy.(the aren't in order, look at the run numbers)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.