corvette death - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on corvette death within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Re the original story... (shameless stolen from clubRSX)...

Re the original story...

(shameless stolen from clubRSX)
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hay

like I said before but it was cut out. A C5 runs only 13.5 in the quarter mile and a stock WRX runs 14.1. The WRX comes so restricted from the dealership its not even funny. Fully 3.5" exhaust with high flow cat, intake and boost controller was enough to pull my WRX into a 13.15 at 106 mph the one time I took it to the track. That was the first weekend after round one was installed and before I knew how to drag the car extremely well. THat was like 9 months ago. Since then I can shift with extreme percision and chirp the tires into third(not fun on the clutch though). Once I replace the stock clutch all will be okay. Believe me the guy in the corvette is kind of a friend of mine and wanted nothing more than to desomate my WRX. There was like a month of prequal to the eventual race. The third race he was finally satisfied with his launch, although I had one of the best launches ever(about 6400). That was the biggest margin of the three(about 3 1/2 cars). I have also dusted Camaro SS on the highway from like 60. Every tuner shop said my car is running unusually fast but ok. Although with my new chip I had ordered not being shiped for a month, I have to wait before the car will see any real increased power. Plus I have to make new slider brackets for the seats since they dont fit exactly. My car is red with white decals down the driverside and Im always cruising hinsdale/oakbrook/naperville/any other close burb. I'll see anyone out there.
    Last edited by bigbangjosh; 09-24-2002 at 01:28 PM.
    2002 Sedona Red Pearl debadged Subaru WRX
    -custom built top mount intercooler(a-spec)
    -greddy type-S blow off valve
    -injen intake
    -garret gt25 turbo shoved into ihi housing
    -sti injectors(being bored to 550cc)
    -high flow fuel rail
    -high flow fuel pump
    -fuel regulator
    -defi gauge pod(replace clock)
    -greddy egt, boost, and oil temp gauges with peak hold and warning
    -hks evc ez boost controller
    -full m2 polished turbo back exhaust with no cat
    -blitz turbo timer
    -corbeau forza seats with 3 point harnesses
    -toyo proxie FZ4 tires
    -a spec up-pipe
    -Turbo X-S UTEC computer

ohh yeah

by the way a c-4 corvette is a complete dog and I could walk All over it without even trying (there slow)
    -injen intake
    -high flow fuel rail
    -high flow fuel pump
    -fuel regulator
    -blitz turbo timer
    -toyo proxie FZ4 tires
    -a spec up-pipe
    -Turbo X-S UTEC computer

Re: ohh yeah

Originally posted by bigbangjosh
    by the way a c-4 corvette is a complete dog and I could walk All over it without even trying (there slow)
    sorry dude, a c4 is not always slow, I had a 96 LT4 with just exhaust intake fuel pres. regualtor, short throw, and the car ran a mid 12 second pass nice try though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  
    285whp, still pokey as hell, but It has a 6 speed so Its ok

stock

stock they aint the quickest thing around plus I have driven a bone stock 1994 corvette and it wasn't like ohh my god this corvette is the fastest thing on four wheels
    Last edited by bigbangjosh; 09-24-2002 at 01:29 PM.
    -injen intake
    -high flow fuel rail
    -high flow fuel pump
    -fuel regulator
    -blitz turbo timer
    -toyo proxie FZ4 tires
    -a spec up-pipe
    -Turbo X-S UTEC computer

Re: stock

stock they aint the quickest thing around plus I have driven a bone stock 1994 corvette and it wasn't like ohh my god this corvette is the fastest thing on four wheels
    yeah they arnt the fastest, just watch out for lt4's, those are very fast in stock form, and the lt1, well with not a lot of money can be pretty deadly 2
    285whp, still pokey as hell, but It has a 6 speed so Its ok

BigbangJosh,

I find it extremely amusing that you drive a WRX, a car which is nothing special STOCK, but has terrific modibility, yet rip on other cars STOCK.

As wonderful as turbo 4's are, a well thought out and modded V8 WILL make more power, WILL make more torque...those extra cylinders and their displacment do make a difference and more than offset the greater friction and component mass.

People often fail to realize that many of the V8 cars we see are seriously under-utilized, out-of-tune, or plain old...while many of us I-4 owners have well utilized engines. Many of us run ~4k turbo kits, but how many V8 owners have more than I/H/E? Pick up a Summit catalog and you can order a new crate V8 with lots of goodies for 4k....let alone what 4k would let you get for an existing V8 block in good shape.

Ive no doubt a New Camaro SS with 5k in it would run extremely hard. Granted we will always win a launch with AWD, but there is nothing superior about a turbo I-4...it just uses FI to produce some stellar results which require many other subsystems to work effectively.

Cheers,
    Sameer
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

Lawrider,

The C6 Corvette should effectively stand the V8 world on it ear again, IF and only IF Gm has the balls to put out the valvetrain technology that they have been hiding FOR YEARS.

-Jim

Jim,

I hear ya

Ive been dying for GM to let loose the engineers on the Vette, but they still don't get it. The sole reason that Corvette uses pushrods is to keep that ultra-low cowl line...the pop-up lights, the list goes on and on. Compromises on an image car which keep it from grabbing the exotics.

Sadly the enthusiasts have really moved past the Vette and they know it....they delayed the C5 too long till many kids thought of them as ancient, rickety cars when newer stuff from other makers caught the imagination.

I swear there is more anticipation around the new 350Z than over the C6.

Myself, i cannot wait for next-gen Camaro/Firebirds to come back. Automobile had an interesting article which suggested they are moving upscale, returning to coupe form, and GM wants ~50,000 V8 sales. The new Impala RWD platform is there...

Cheers,
    Sameer
    99.5 A4 1.8T28
    P.E.S. T28 Turbo Kit, Racetec Z-Flo FMIC, 1/8 Test Pipe w/Milltek Exhaust, Vortrag Hypercoil Springs over Bilstein Sports (450lb/500lb), W.O.A. Stage II Clutch, Racetec 4-pt Strut Brace, A.W.E. A Pillar Boost Gauge, Bailey BPV, Valeo E-Codes w/ Phillips 5300K H.I.D., APR Snubbie, Strat cartridge SSK, S4 Vented Wheel Liner, Brembo Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads(F)/EBC Greens(R), Denso Iridium IK-22's, Hella Supertones, O.Z. 17" SL's w/ Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, Alpine CDA-7894, MB Quart QSD 213, Rockford Fosgate 501.1bd, Alpine SWR-1241D, P.P.I. A.400, 35% Llumar Charcoal tint, UUC RKII, RS-4 Grille.
    "Building boost, breakin hearts"

94 Miata C Package (a.k.a. Nougat)
    Flying Miata's FM2 intercooled GT28 turbo kit, Shiv fuel rail, AEM wideband O2, FM turbo exhaust, R.S. Aizawa Slash Intake Lid, KYB AGX's, HDHCDD 4-Point rollbar, FM NA clutch, FM F+R swaybars, Hella E-Code H4 Conversions, CRI Fogs, CRI Air Horns, Lewis Lumbars, Momo Monte Carlo, Rota Circuit 8's 15" with Toyo T1-S's, Pioneer Premier DEH-P440 with Infiniti Kappas 6 1/2 (doors), Infiniti Kappas 3 1/2 (headrests), some chrome bits, Voodoo.
    "It's not how fast you go, its how little you slow down...but 9.5hp/lb helps!"

Originally posted by Lawrider
    I swear there is more anticipation around the new 350Z than over the C6.

Myself, i cannot wait for next-gen Camaro/Firebirds to come back. Automobile had an interesting article which suggested they are moving upscale, returning to coupe form, and GM wants ~50,000 V8 sales. The new Impala RWD platform is there...

Cheers,
    Sameer
    Agreed, but the 350Z is HEAVIER than a C5. Automatic loss in my books. V6 power and more mass than V8 power. DOH!

If GM releases the electrohydraulic valve system operating at 42 volts: The Corvette will OWN everything short of $250k+ cars. I'm NOT kidding.

-Jim

Re: hay

like I said before but it was cut out. A C5 runs only 13.5 in the quarter mile and a stock WRX runs 14.1.
    A stock C5 is slower than a stock Z28? Not doubting but perhaps you would like to clarify this for me. It just seems like you are comparing the worst possible time for a C5 to the best possible time for a stock WRX.
    2002 RSX Type S
    Anyone want to buy my car?

Re: Re: hay

Originally posted by RSXSucks
    A stock C5 is slower than a stock Z28? Not doubting but perhaps you would like to clarify this for me. It just seems like you are comparing the worst possible time for a C5 to the best possible time for a stock WRX.
    Yes, I agree.

-Jim

Re: hay

like I said before but it was cut out. A C5 runs only 13.5 in the quarter mile and a stock WRX runs 14.1.
    Stop quoting me magazine #'s. Everyone knows that they're BS. Go to www.corvetteforum.com and see what kind of runs the fellows there make - stock!

The WRX comes so restricted from the dealership its not even funny.

Of course, this applies only to the WRX.

Blah blah blah....

The fact remains, the only way you'd pull a C5 in a "slightly modded" WRX is if the C5 driver can't drive.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

Re: stock

I don't recall making that claim.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

Re: ohh yeah

Yeah, those LT1s with a stock 300 HP & 330-340 Ft/lbs.... they suck.

And of course - they're all still in stock form.
    Sheppe (aka WRXless)
    '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Jetta Pic 1
    Jetta Pic 2
    Jetta Pic 3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.