Fun encounter with a tricked out civic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fun encounter with a tricked out civic within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I'm pulling out of this gas station up to a red light, 2 cars back in the next lane ...

Fun encounter with a tricked out civic

So I'm pulling out of this gas station up to a red light, 2 cars back in the next lane is this bright yellow 90-91ish civic si hatch with a really flashy bodykit, projector lights and one of the loudest exhausts i've ever heard, it was actually one of the best done civics i've seen of that generation to date (actually im not much of a civic fan, but it was one of the best looking civics i've seen period, if he lost the big gay black wing on the roof of his hatchback). He revs a few times and gives me a look. so the light turns green and he switches lanes behind me and lays chase (i just drove normal to about 50). He gets up next to me and i get a little closer look at it, i checked for an intercooler (none) and notice he has racing seats & harnesses, and an a-pillar full of guages, so I'm hoping he has to be at least motorswaped. So I hear him downshift and nail it, i hit 3rd at about 50 a little out of boost, he holds next to me for about a second and as soon as i get boost i easily walk right past him. So i cruise a little farther and he shadows me, i let him get in front of me cuzz i want to see if i can get him to go again, so i hold at his bumper. sure enough i hear him downshift, so this time were going about 60 and again i hit 3rd, instantly I fly past him, after pulling pretty far on him i break and continue to cruise.
    I tried to get next to him at a light ahead but got blocked, i really wanted to ask what he had done, if he would even tell me; he looked pretty pissed when i flew past him the 2nd time. My guess is probably a b16 swap, i've known a couple people that have done that engine in those cars and netted low 15's, down side is the ones that never go to the track always seem to think their WAY faster than that.

Funny thing is he ends up going the same way i was going, and i keep a little behind him and watch him race everything that will give him some, and he didnt lose... I watched him run a ram with straighpipes, a celica (couldnt tell if it was gts), a matrix (the one with the red 'r' on the badge, xcr or something like that) and an elclipse (non turbo i think) and he beat everything by around a car or more.

I usually dont like to pick on civics, but when he was reving at me and then flew up next to me like that i figured he knew what he was asking for...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice run... I too am curious as to what he had done. i dont think he could have hung with you so well unless he was lightly swapped or had some serious bolt on's and little stuff.
    probably a B16, or LSvtec
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    My guess is probably a b16 swap, i've known a couple people that have done that engine in those cars and netted low 15's, down side is the ones that never go to the track always seem to think their WAY faster than that.
    Hmmm. Where did you get this info? Civics with the B16 usually run high 13s which makes sense. The B16 is good for low 15s in the Integra, drop it into a 2200lb Civic and of course its going to be faster. The stock Civics run high 15s so I dont think people would be paying thousands of dollars for swaps just to pick up an extra half second.

Nice kill.. Gotta love the Flash Before Dash group..

Odd that he was able to take the ram. With the right bolt-ons those things are beasts. There are a few guys on the DTO (www.dodgetrucks.org) who have hit 12 second quarters. Same thing with the Dakota's R/T..

Quote Originally Posted by mball
    Hmmm. Where did you get this info? Civics with the B16 usually run high 13s which makes sense. The B16 is good for low 15s in the Integra, drop it into a 2200lb Civic and of course its going to be faster. The stock Civics run high 15s so I dont think people would be paying thousands of dollars for swaps just to pick up an extra half second.
    How is a 160 horsepower at the crank motor going to produce 13's? Id believe a B18C1 gutted hatch running in the 13's but not a bolt on B16A. Generally bolt on B16A hatches are in the mid to high 14's to the mid 15's depending on the extent of bolt ons and the ability of the driver.
    '02 WRB WRX wingless
    Its stock...I swear....and its N/A too
    ...thats not turbo spool you hear thats a vaccuum leak!

Quote Originally Posted by mball
    Well as for where i got the information...how about friends of mine that actually took their b16 swapped civics to the dragstrip. I had one friend with a 92 hatch with a turbo'd b16 running mild boost (4 or 5psi i think) and he was still only in the mid-low 14's. As the above poster stated, a b16 is not going to get a civic of any kind into the 13's without some heavy modification. With 105hp i believe the stock 91 civic si will run a low-mid 16 second 1/4 mile in PERFECT condition...let alone high 15's, and then dont forget that its also a 14 year old car, so maybe more like high 16-low17's. The only civic that i have ever seen run high 15's stock is the brand new civic si, and even those will still run in the 16's alot of the time, I know one kid that builds supras and has a 2003 civic si for a daily driver, he took it to the track and ran an average of 15.9-16.3. I've seen alot of the GSR (B18) swapped civics running mid 14's, and i know someone with an H22 that hits 13's, both these cases in a 92-95 hatch.
    You are a perfect example of one of those people that think that b16 swaps are WAY faster than they are. Its miss information like this that causes people to spend their money on poinltess persuits like that, in my experiences its often highschool students or young adults that dont know much about cars yet, and dont really have alot of money either, but listen to people who tell them that stuff thinking they know what their talking about. So as far as wasting the thousands of dollers swapping a b16 into a civic hatch to pick up a few 10ths of a second, thats the same questions a few of my friends had after doing their swaps. They listened to everyone telling them that a "B16 will hit 13's" and then get pissed as hell when they do the swap.
    I've seen some bizzare stuff though, like someone i met at the dragstrip who swapped the 120hp EX vtec motor into a 90 si because "it has vtec", and then i overheard them all talking like they had no idea what was wrong with the car when they ran something like a 16.0 the first time down the strip. I know one kid who swapped a b16 into his del-sol and i literally smoked him (not even close in the least bit) in my bone stock RSX-S when i had it. The B16 is basically a worthless motorswap, in my oppinion, its go big or go home, if your going to spend that kind of money why not just get a Type-R, GSR, or H22 motor. the stock 92 si makes about 120hp, why does everyone think that 40 more flywheel hp is going to make such a huge difference, some of these other motors dont even cost much more than a b16.
    I'm not saying that civics cant be fast, I've seen my share of turbo 11-12 second street hatchbacks too, it just seems unfortunate to me that people should waste their money doing something that not going to get them the results they want even thought they think it will, if your using the b16 as a platform to build thats one thing, cams, valves, new bottomend, and other supporting mods could make that engine reletively quick, but i meet alot of people who seem to think that motor alone will net results and it wont.

Quote Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
    Nice kill.. Gotta love the Flash Before Dash group..

Odd that he was able to take the ram. With the right bolt-ons those things are beasts. There are a few guys on the DTO (www.dodgetrucks.org) who have hit 12 second quarters. Same thing with the Dakota's R/T..
    I was kindof surprised here too, i think it was just a basic 95-2001ish 1500 with straightpipes though. I didnt get close enough to check it out for sure, but i could hear the loud pipes and tell it was a ram, with the basic 5.2L @ 230hp and the 5.9L even at 245 i believe it could have run with it (the civic was like 1/2 a car in front of him when they stopped) like that, those things are heavy as hell, deffinatly wasnt a hemi.

i had a 93 civic hatch with a ls/vtec b4. i ran it between 13.5 to 14.0. well, my motor was fully built though with skunk2 drivetrain, cicvictype r pistons, ported and polished heads and other stuff. i bet he had only a regualar b16 in there

Wow you guys must have some slow ass drag strips. Here in NH at New England Dragway, I have personally seen the 99 and 00 bone stock Civic Si's with B16's run anywhere from 14.8-15.2 1/4 mile passes. The same car with basic bolt ons (I,H,E), I've seen run anywhere from 14.5-14.8 depending on the driver. Now the Civic hatchbacks with the B16 swap with basic bolt ons up here usually run anywhere from 13.9-14.2. I've also seen hatches up here with the GSR motor (B18c1) with basic bolt ons, run anywhere from low to mid 13's. I don't know why they are considered slow where you guys are from, but around here these hatches are pretty damn quick.
    2004 WRB Cobb Stage II WRX
    220whp 210wtq

i know i probably could have gotten faster times but traction is not a fwd's bestfriend. even when i slap on some nitto drag tires. thats why i bought me a an awd

Quote Originally Posted by jdmpwrdr
    Wow you guys must have some slow ass drag strips. Here in NH at New England Dragway, I have personally seen the 99 and 00 bone stock Civic Si's with B16's run anywhere from 14.8-15.2 1/4 mile passes. The same car with basic bolt ons (I,H,E), I've seen run anywhere from 14.5-14.8 depending on the driver. Now the Civic hatchbacks with the B16 swap with basic bolt ons up here usually run anywhere from 13.9-14.2. I've also seen hatches up here with the GSR motor (B18c1) with basic bolt ons, run anywhere from low to mid 13's. I don't know why they are considered slow where you guys are from, but around here these hatches are pretty damn quick.
    I find that incredibly hard to believe...I really hope you're being sarcastic.... unless the civic si were GROSSLY UNDERRATED (which its not) i think that its absolutely ludecris that a bone stock 99 or 00 civic si runs anywhere near 14's. explain to me how a car that weighs close to 2700 lbs is supposed to run a 14.8 with 160hp at the flywheel...what is that like 130hp to the wheels? Are you sure your not mistaken and running at a 1000 foot track, ive heard of a few of those around.

I find that incredibly hard to believe...I really hope you're being sarcastic.... unless the civic si were GROSSLY UNDERRATED (which its not) i think that its absolutely ludecris that a bone stock 99 or 00 civic si runs anywhere near 14's. explain to me how a car that weighs close to 2700 lbs is supposed to run a 14.8 with 160hp at the flywheel...what is that like 130hp to the wheels? Are you sure your not mistaken and running at a 1000 foot track, ive heard of a few of those around.
    VTEC DOODE!

Absolutely not. It's New England Dragway in Epping, NH. Full 1/4 mile.
    220whp 210wtq

It's not that hard to believe. Granted most si civics are only good for mid 15's but there are some really good drivers who have pulled off high 14's. With a high reving motor like that the driver make all the difference. I had a bolt on GSR with (intake, header, test pipe, catback, stageII clutch, fidenza flywheel, short throw, intake manifold, pulley) and most people get low 15's or very high 14's with that setup because they cant drive it right. I ran a 14.9 and then practiced on shift points and launching. 3 weeks later on a day with nearly exact conditions I ran a 14.6 and the car could still have done better if my tires actually were decent.
    another example, an old buddy of mine had a 99' Si w/ intake, header, catback, pulley and ran consistant 15.2's. That day he let another friend drive the car who was a rather good driver. 20min later the guy ran a 14.7 with the car. Yes, most Si civics will run mid 15's and low 15's on a GOOD day, but a good day and a great driver high 14's IS possible.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Thanks DTR. I don't ever bull**** because I can't stand when other people do it. For the disbelievers......just because you haven't seen it done, doesn't mean it can't be done.
    220whp 210wtq

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast