bolt on 350Z vs. STi w/TBE vid....... - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on bolt on 350Z vs. STi w/TBE vid....... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by nis350ztt The popcharger does nothing? Wrong there, it gains about 3rwhp. Not a whole lot, agreed. I ...

Quote Originally Posted by nis350ztt
    The popcharger does nothing? Wrong there, it gains about 3rwhp. Not a whole lot, agreed.

I can't seem to find the link of the stock Z...
    I have one. haven't seen anything. If yours gains then god bless you.
    oh wait...mine gained .3db from the cheap whistle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    You've got that right I am an internet tough guy, ask any of the chicago z guys that used to show up to the subaru meets that know me and they'll surely agree with you. You don't know me so shut your mouth on that topic, you're just making yourself look like more of an ignorant fool than a troll.

I'm not upset that you've called anyone immature, I'm upset that you and the rest of the fanboys feel the need to come overe here and argue with people. All you're doing is beating a dead horse that's long been dead, and has been beaten millions of times thus far.
    I don't recall the first post saying anything negative about the STi... in fact, the only negative comments from Z owners i've seen in this thread, were defending themselves. This stock Z vs. stock STi has been beating a dead horse? Since when? Do you have a video that we don't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Not a big deal but that ECU, according to TechnoSquare's site provides +10whp/+9lb-ft alone (no other mods) and increases the rev limiter from 6600 to 7100. That makes a difference, on top of the +10whp increase, especially with the Z's gearing. Unfortunately, we don't get a rev limit increase with AP. Would be nice but I don't know if our engine would put up with that for long. I wouldn't mine being able to rev to 7500-8000 if we could make power up there. Being able to hit 60mph in 2nd and 100mph in 4th would be nice.

(Once again, not trying to detract from the win, just commenting.)
    The Technosquare reflash does absolutely nothing without other mods, mainly it does nothing even with other mods unless you have a cat-back, downpipes (hf cats or test pipes), headers, intake plenum, intake, grounding kit, etc. Otherwise it's just to correct the A/F ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    This race wasn't even close. Those mods (350z) have really had a nice effect on performance.

How much did the mods cost for the 350Z? Thats what most people look at. It doesn't really matter how many mods a car has. What matters is the cost of the mods.

So STi - Turboback exhaust - $1000.00
    350Z - $
    Turbo cars are easier to make power.

Injen exhaust = 860. Test pipes = anywhere from 80-200. Intake plenum = anywhere from 200 - 400. Intake = ~250. ECU reflash = $450. Very expensive for marginal power overall on the 350Z (unless you go F/I, which still has a huge pricetag).

Quote Originally Posted by 350zboy
    I have one. haven't seen anything. If yours gains then god bless you.
    oh wait...mine gained .3db from the cheap whistle.
    Come on now, you can't judge everyone's gains just from one experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape over this? I thought the video was fantastic and shows what a nicely modded Z can do. I haven't been to my350z yet, but I hope they know that this isn't a stock Z beating a stock STi. Is there a lot of ****-talking going on over there?

The only points I want to make are:

No way. An untuned TBE will not give you 20whp. A Cobb Stg 2 package which includes a TBE and reflash and makes +39whp. I think someone over at ImprezaWrxSTi dynoed with just a TBE and got a 10-15whp increase, untuned. Lastly, that sounds fishy that a 350Z with those mods would only put down an extra 20whp.

Also, it looked like that STi was running some 18s which might slow it down a bit. Definitely not enough to matter in this case.

--------------------------

It's about time we got some really nice vids, in daylight too. Got to give it to the guys who set this up, it was about time. Out of curiosity though, why did that white 350Z not run the STi? Wasn't that Z closer to stock? I think that would have been a better run.

Either way, nice runs guys. Great sounding Z too.
    Like I said in other post, i'm a moderator. I'm not seeing any crap talking. Other than them laughing at some of the STi owners that posted in this thread that mostly sounded like they were butt-hurt. It's common sense that Z would beat that STi. Like I also said in another post, I want to see a stock STi vs. stock Z, from rolls and from a dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie
    I will be the first to try and stop this flame since this is going to accomplish nothing but more hard feelings and ill will towards each other. Shouldn't be like this since we are all in this for having fun so with that.....

1. I do take back the **** flinging I threw in large quantites...let's leave it at that.

2. With all honestly, the videos were quite good and of real high quality...(good job)

3. In all fairness, I do feel a couple of runs from a dig would quell the powers that be in this long running feud. It is quite obvious that a 350Z WILL go faster from a roll due to the better gearing and streamlined bodylines. Facts are facts...no bending the truth there.

4. The STI lost...that was that. A downpipe and catback without the ecu reflash causes the car to do things like fuel cut, boost creep, pulled timing....a reflash is really needed.

5. The Z in the race was quite fast...no doubting that. We must also take into consideration that with a Z from a roll, you step on the gas and you have torque and power right there along with good gearing. With any turbo car you get lag, lots of it with bigger turbos. I've had the same issue myself againts SRT-4s and with a larger turbo that I have, fooling around from a roll really needs a "top end" turbo that will make up for that lag of power.

6. I do think it would be nice if we could have a "friendly" meet here on the Island in NY between WRX/STI and 350Z people so we could see first hand for each other what the cars can do in real world conditions (dig and roll).

With that I will not be the one toss anymore **** at the 350Z guys and would actually like to have a ride in one to see what it feels like at speed. I would have no problem giving someone a ride in my Stg4 with my 3rd and largest turbo going in about 3 weeks.

I'm not ending this pissing match becuase "I'm outgunned or pussin out" becuase we can go back and forth all night. I just feel these boards should be places of exchange and not places of e-wars.

(In the godfather voice)...."I will not be the one to break the peace"

Let's see where we go from here with this........
    Very mature post. I applaud you for this.

I felt lonely not putting my .02 in...

Nice Kill

Oh and that modded Z looks really good. I like the exhaust note, but the dual curved mufflers are a bit much. If that guy is still on here that ownes it what exhaust is that?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCity_WRX
    Oh and that modded Z looks really good. I like the exhaust note, but the dual curved mufflers are a bit much. If that guy is still on here that ownes it what exhaust is that?
    It's the Injen angled tip exhaust, they don't make it anymore. Sounds a little too loud/ricey for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I am truly ashamed to be part of the wrx community today.

The wrx/STi owners are being completely ridiculous here. This on going debate between Z and STi has been around forever. All this guy did was post a vid of 2 cars racing and made no claims of that demonstrating which car was faster stock vs stock. The guy just posted a vid of a friendly race and from the 2nd post of this thread all that has been going on is excuses and immature banter.

Sorry that subaru had its pride hurt today, but move the hell on. You guys are acting like a bunch of 5 year olds.
    You're 100% correct, come on guys, like I said in my initial post early in this thread you have to give props to the guys for getting some stuff on film, even if we were on the losing end. Spot them the 1-0 advantage, be good sports and let's go out and get some more video with alot of cars. I still believe that given a large sample size the sti will come out on tops from a dig or a roll.

This was one match up and the z took him pretty good. All the *****ing and moaning isn't going to help and it just make us look like asses. I talk as much sh*t as anyone to those guys but the video was pretty clear. It is what it is. We can talk costs of mods, dig vs roll, etc until we are blue in the face but it's not going to change the outcome of this one.

Be patient and encourage some more encounters in your local areas. Track season is about to start so I'm sure there will be more videos coming out.

DrDrome, I saw your post about your utec sitting in your room, swing by my house and we'll throw that puppy in there, set it to stage 2 map and run him again :-)
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    You're 100% correct, come on guys, like I said in my initial post early in this thread you have to give props to the guys for getting some stuff on film, even if we were on the losing end. Spot them the 1-0 advantage, be good sports and let's go out and get some more video with alot of cars. I still believe that given a large sample size the sti will come out on tops from a dig or a roll.

This was one match up and the z took him pretty good. All the *****ing and moaning isn't going to help and it just make us look like asses. I talk as much sh*t as anyone to those guys but the video was pretty clear. It is what it is. We can talk costs of mods, dig vs roll, etc until we are blue in the face but it's not going to change the outcome of this one.

Be patient and encourage some more encounters in your local areas. Track season is about to start so I'm sure there will be more videos coming out.

DrDrome, I saw your post about your utec sitting in your room, swing by my house and we'll throw that puppy in there, set it to stage 2 map and run him again :-)
    Yes good point. Lets all meet up and video some runs of Sti's vs 350Z's. At the tracks of course
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by nis350ztt
    Sounds a little too loud/ricey for my taste.

+1

no offense to the guy that has this exhaust, but the stock exhaust sounds better, IMO.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice vid. Good kill. FWIW, the neck snapping that was commented on appeared to me to be the guy leaning forward to jam the gears...the seat was probably to far back for quick shifting.

As I've posted over on the my350z boards, any 350z's wanna meet at Cecil I'm game. Bring your video camara and your slicks.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Techie
    "Take away the awd and you take away the adavatage"???? That makes perfect sense, kind of like me saying switch the gears out of a 350 and he won't be a roll on queen anymore.

Once again if you can't go from a dig and you need your slicks to "even the odds"....
    I don't think you understand at all what I'm saying. The Z and the STi have very similiar power/weight ratios stock for stock. Therefore any run from a stop between a properly driven stock STi and a properly driven stock 350Z will ALWAYS END UP WITH THE STi on the winning end.

I really don't understand what's wrong with a 2wd vehicle running sticky tires too hook better. Go to ANY drag strip and MANY MANY 2wd vehicles are on sticky tires. Is this because the drivers "can't drive" without slicks or DRs....no...it's just because they want to get the most performance out of their cars that they can.

Once again I don't make sense.....let me seeeeeee

-13.6 on stock tires....SO....keep those tires on if your such a talented driver. I have snow tires on my car and I can break them loose from a launch. I won't be reaching for Nittos anytime soon...so why should you?
    Because it's freaking free country...go ahead and put some DRs on your WRX...I could give a crap. I really don't understand what your point is.

Also for this case being "subjective" you can base you comments on that, I'll take the facts over "subjectiveness". A "properly" driven STI will go 13.30 and better in stock form and as you stated a "properly" driven Z will pull 13.60 on a good day. Numbers don't lie.
    Great....what does that have to do with ANYTHING that I have said?

Also while on the "subject", Turbowill is 110% correct about the STI being slightly modded. The car is not even a Stg1 which would include the much needed ECU reflash. This Z that ran was very well tuned which was not the case for the STI.
    Blah blah blah....excuses excuses......The STi lost...get over it.

"Yea...I'll run my slicks..and I'll also run both the turbos that are going in my car in two weeks. How does that sound to you?"-BriGuyMax

How does that sound to me......sounds like you're just another guy who couldn't cut it with the way his car came from the factory.

Makes perfect sense to me.
    Are you freaking kidding me??? So everybody should just drive around bone stock cars because modding them is for pussies?? wow...that was one of the most retarded statements I've ever read. Not only that, but is was a complete contradiction to your earlier babble which included the quote "Turbowill is 110% correct about the STI being slightly modded. The car is not even a Stg1 which would include the much needed ECU reflash." hmm....and I bet you mod your car too. So you couldn't "cut it" with the way your car came from the factory?

The FACT is....any joker with some cash could go out and buy a Corvette Z06 or a Dodge Viper and destory 95% of the cars on the road and never have to know anything but how to push down the gas pedal, shift, steer and write checks for service. I don't want to be like any other joker out there. I do all my work on my own car...and I take pride in it. I could have gone out and purchased a much faster car than my 350Z and we wouldn't even be having the conversation. My Z isn't the have-all performance car from the factory...in fact I don't believe anything is, so that's why I change things on it. I personalize it and make it what I want it to be. What's so wrong with that?
    03 350Z - intake, test pipes
    Best STOCK E.T. 13.68@102.77mph 2.09 60'
    Best mods E.T. 13.38@103.60mph 1.90 60'

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast