1st race in my wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 1st race in my wrx within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last night I finnaly got a race in my 04 WRX. I've had it for about 1 month now and ...

1st race in my wrx

Last night I finnaly got a race in my 04 WRX. I've had it for about 1 month now and no one in a hooked up car where I live in MD will even look at me. ( mostly hondas around here )

Well here is what happend. I driving to a go see a friend of mine on rt 29s. I pass a VW GTI 1.8t going about 60-65. Well after a few minutes I see his headlights coming at my left side fast, when he passes me he shifts gears and i hear his bov. We get to the next light and this guy revs his motor at me. I give him the thumbs up and wait for the light.
    I bring my revs up to 4200rpm and when the light turned green I slipped the clutch and jumped out on him about 1.5 cars by the top of 3rd he was about 3-4 cars behind me.

I wasn't sure how the race would turn out b/c I know those cars can be made very fast, and when I raced one in the last car I owned 02 Eclipse V6 I got killed. Glad that I won my first race in the WRX especially since it's stock for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice first kill. All i got to race tonight was a late 70's model dodge ram charger.

he must be stock, and great kill.

nice kill
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by forsaken

Nice first kill. All i got to race tonight was a late 70's model dodge ram charger.

how did that race work out for you? hope you won.

Nice kill . Could you tell what year model it might've been? Cause I know the 2002+ models have a bigger turbo, making em 180 hp, while the ones before 2002 had 150hp. 3-4 car lengths is pretty good.

Registered User uncle lewie wrx's Avatar
    Sweet kill, my dad had an 80's model Ram Charger when I was first born, but sold it to my grandfather who drove it to over 250,000 miles and finally gave out.
    My friend has a nicely modded GTI, I always wondered what the outcome of a race between him and i would be.
    Uncle Lewie
    06 Aspen White STi w/ Gold BBS's

Quote Originally Posted by Rycecooker
    Nice kill . Could you tell what year model it might've been? Cause I know the 2002+ models have a bigger turbo, making em 180 hp, while the ones before 2002 had 150hp. 3-4 car lengths is pretty good.
    No bigger turbo, in fact the engine is virtually identical, the extra hp comes from more boost (those engines can handle about 20psi stock, they're all forged internals, but vw runs them at like 5 or 6 for the pre-2002 and then like 8 or 9 for the 2002+ guess thats german over-engineering for ya).

To the original poster: yea if your stock he probably was too (or didnt know what mods to buy). my friend had a 2001 1.8t, he ran a best of 15.6 with an intake in it, a week later added a chip and ran like 14.2@almost 100mph (I think like 97-98maybe) when i was stock with him at those mods i would pull him off the line like 2 cars and then he slowly overtake and pass me at around 80-90, all it took was a downpipe to hold him off though. Like i said above stock he was hitting around 6psi before the chip, i think something like 15 after (and about 200fwhp), and the only thing keeping him from going higher was the fuel-cut (i think at 19). but i remember him saying if he bypassed the fuel cut he could have run something like 22psi stock, unfortunatly he was about to buy a new turbo (K04 i think) but instead decided to trade it in for a pickup truck....oh well, sweet car well he had it, but he had sick traction problems with the added boost. It was soo funny to watch him take off and then hear him burn the tires when he hit like 20mph if he wasnt being careful.

Nice kill though...now get some mods so he doesnt surprise you next time....
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 03-21-2005 at 10:24 PM.

nice kill

sounds like he was stock or pretty near it (maybe intake and BOV).
    watch out for the catless and chipped one's though. they will suprise you
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Yeah, I ran a pretty nice looking one a week or so ago. We went from around 60 through middle of 4th and it was pretty much an even pull. He got a slight jump and I may have been creepin up towards the end but we were coming up on traffic so I couldn't tell. He was de/rebadged, only badging was the VW and a turbo badge from a beetle. Silver w/ black trim, lowered, and he gave a wave afterwords. Anyone know what mods, if any, he likely had? I also couldn't see or hear an exhaust whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by zoinks
    Yeah, I ran a pretty nice looking one a week or so ago. We went from around 60 through middle of 4th and it was pretty much an even pull. He got a slight jump and I may have been creepin up towards the end but we were coming up on traffic so I couldn't tell. He was de/rebadged, only badging was the VW and a turbo badge from a beetle. Silver w/ black trim, lowered, and he gave a wave afterwords. Anyone know what mods, if any, he likely had? I also couldn't see or hear an exhaust whatsoever.
    probably catless with a chip and intake. I know a friend who has a vw jetta gli which is same engine as gti and the car is a bit heavier than gti ..he has downpipe intake revo reflash and fmic. He dynoed his car at 220whp and around 260wtrq (but they have early torque at like 2.5k -4k rpm than it dies out)
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

As previously mentioned all 1.8Ts come with the K03 turbo, its just higher boost levels that change the power output. The stock turbo will boost very high but anyting over like 18 psi is so far out of the efficency range that its pointless. The one you raced was most likely stock. With just a chip a well driven 1.8t can run mid to low 14s. I ran 14 flat with 100 octan on all season 17s with jsut chip and exhaust boosting about 18 psi. Chip adds alot of power but they start so slow to begin with that they max out at 14 second 1/4s and a little over 200 whp with boltons. 220whp on the stock K03 turbo is VERY unlikely. You can have every bolton there is and most 1.8Ts wont reach 220 whp. A chipped 1.8T vs a stock Rex is a great race, 1.8t has the edge once rolling but the Rex owns off the line as its tough to get good traction with a tourquey chipped 1.8t.

Nice race, I've only had one race so far as well and it was against a WRX of all cars

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.