Raced an older stang (cobra i think)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Raced an older stang (cobra i think) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving home from dropping my friend off i got a little lost (only lived in jersey a little while). So ...

Raced an older stang (cobra i think)

Driving home from dropping my friend off i got a little lost (only lived in jersey a little while). So anyway Im headed in the wrong direction on RT9 cuzz i got off the wrong exit and had to go back. So i see a trafficlight ahead and turn around. As the arrow lights up and i make my turn back onto 9 the other way i see this silver mustang go screaming through the turn. I dont think anything of it till a few minutes later i see stang lights flying up behind me. So two spikey haired teenage looking guys pull up next to me and motion me to go and I drop to 3rd about 60 and nail it. Instantly i start pulling on them, not like a jump but just steadily pulled, about 2 cars ahead when i shifted to 4th and kept on pulling till i shut down about 3/4 of the way through 4th (maybe 100, wasnt looking at the spedo) I think i was maybe 4-6 cars ahead or so , i could clearly see them in my side and rearview mirror. I hit the breaks cuzz i see traffic comming up ahead and they just wiz on by me not even looking over or anything.

Fun run, wish they'd have shown a little more respect, at least given a nod or something, guess they didnt expect the outcome. From what it looked like they were in a 96-96ish cobra, i didnt see the back or side long enough to get a good look for badges, but it looked like it had the cobra bodykit on it, and i heard a loud exhaust too. It seemed like it kept up a little better than those year stangs usually do too, looked it up even the cobras were only 260fwhp. I'm Cobb stage2 by the way

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice way to put them in there place. Probably thought they would hose you.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Driving home from dropping my friend off i got a little lost (only lived in jersey a little while). So anyway Im headed in the wrong direction on RT9 cuzz i got off the wrong exit and had to go back. So i see a trafficlight ahead and turn around. As the arrow lights up and i make my turn back onto 9 the other way i see this silver mustang go screaming through the turn. I dont think anything of it till a few minutes later i see stang lights flying up behind me. So two spikey haired teenage looking guys pull up next to me and motion me to go and I drop to 3rd about 60 and nail it. Instantly i start pulling on them, not like a jump but just steadily pulled, about 2 cars ahead when i shifted to 4th and kept on pulling till i shut down about 3/4 of the way through 4th (maybe 100, wasnt looking at the spedo) I think i was maybe 4-6 cars ahead or so , i could clearly see them in my side and rearview mirror. I hit the breaks cuzz i see traffic comming up ahead and they just wiz on by me not even looking over or anything.

Fun run, wish they'd have shown a little more respect, at least given a nod or something, guess they didnt expect the outcome. From what it looked like they were in a 96-96ish cobra, i didnt see the back or side long enough to get a good look for badges, but it looked like it had the cobra bodykit on it, and i heard a loud exhaust too. It seemed like it kept up a little better than those year stangs usually do too, looked it up even the cobras were only 260fwhp. I'm Cobb stage2 by the way

I have seen plenty of stupid ass V6 Stangs with Cobra kits and emblems on them which is probably what this was. I seriously doubt you would have pulled 4-6 cars at high speeds even on an older Cobra. Are you sure you looked up the COBRA? The mid 90's version carries a pretty potent 305hp/300tq engine and its RWD, not FWD, maybe you were looking at specs on a different car.

I Support ClubWRX
    95 cobra had 240 and the 96-98 cobra had 305 ...the 99 was a nightmare and so was the 01. But yeah I highly doubt if you were in a stock wrx you'd pull to much on a cobra. They arent top end crazy like an ls1 but the rex fades quickly at 70 (even catless compared to a basic bolt on stang). Oh well.....who knows what it was....atleast you had fun
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Ok to both of you....for one thing you must have missed the cobb stage 2, so I'm not in a stock WRX. As far as knowing my cars I can deffinatly tell you i didnt mistake a V6 mustang for a cobra. for one thing even with a dual exhaust they sound nothing alike. I've raced many GT stangs from that era and their all DOGS. 215hp at best, this was either a well modded GT or a cobra. The cobras of that generation are at the lightest 3400lbs, and even with the 305hp cobra with the weight difference i still have him by a few hundred pounds (not to mention i weigh about 125lbs and there were two of them in their car).

So that leaves my 225awhp 3185lb car (I have weighed it at the track, thats how much it is with me in it), against their maybe 250rwhp 3700lb ride (3400lb cobra plus 2 lets say 150lb ppl). and not to mention the same weight difference with the 210 whp 95 corba or maybe 190 whp stock gt. Even side by side with no extra passengers it would be a close race, especially from lower speeds or a dig.

I post stories because i enjoy reading about how other peoples cars stack up in the real world, and i assume other people enjoy reading the same. Please dont try and tell me that I'm full of it, I dont waste my time writing crap that didnt happen. And especially if your going to post negative feedback, at least read what i write first. Thanks

and by the way that was a typo...i know the mustang is rwd
    Last edited by 04wrx4keeps; 03-17-2005 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Ok to both of you....for one thing you must have missed the cobb stage 2, so I'm not in a stock WRX. As far as knowing my cars I can deffinatly tell you i didnt mistake a V6 mustang for a cobra. for one thing even with a dual exhaust they sound nothing alike. I've raced many GT stangs from that era and their all DOGS. 215hp at best, this was either a well modded GT or a cobra. The cobras of that generation are at the lightest 3400lbs, and even with the 305hp cobra with the weight difference i still have him by a few hundred pounds (not to mention i weigh about 125lbs and there were two of them in their car).

So that leaves my 225awhp 3185lb car (I have weighed it at the track, thats how much it is with me in it), against their maybe 250rwhp 3700lb ride (3400lb cobra plus 2 lets say 150lb ppl). and not to mention the same weight difference with the 210 whp 95 corba or maybe 190 whp stock gt. Even side by side with no extra passengers it would be a close race, especially from lower speeds or a dig.

I post stories because i enjoy reading about how other peoples cars stack up in the real world, and i assume other people enjoy reading the same. Please dont try and tell me that I'm full of it, I dont waste my time writing crap that didnt happen. And especially if your going to post negative feedback, at least read what i write first. Thanks

and by the way that was a typo...i know the mustang is rwd
    \

Well said son.
    A stage 2 rex will surprise many snakes.
    Why were the 1999 and 2001 cobra's a "nightmare"?? They were fine cars. not fast but...they fixed that in '03 and '04.

99's had problems due to the intake manifold and that was it. There was a tsb about this and Ford fixed it as long as you brought in your car. Post fix 99's normally dyno in the low 270's hp/tq. 01's had no problems at all actually a good friend of mine dynoed his stock 01 snake to the tune of 280rwhp 272tq which is a really strong car & trapped 106 in the 1/4.
    Blaiz
    32vGT

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    95 cobra had 240 and the 96-98 cobra had 305 ...the 99 was a nightmare and so was the 01. But yeah I highly doubt if you were in a stock wrx you'd pull to much on a cobra. They arent top end crazy like an ls1 but the rex fades quickly at 70 (even catless compared to a basic bolt on stang). Oh well.....who knows what it was....atleast you had fun

Stock for stock it's closer than you think against LS1's. The dohc loves to be revved *sp* more so than the LS1's and topend is their forte.

Fwiw my 01 4v equipped GT dynoed @ 300/308 with catback/h-pipe/intake. I haven't had a chance to get any times due to my posi going out on me, but she will run 12's once I get that fixed.
    Blaiz
    32vGT

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaizon
    Stock for stock it's closer than you think against LS1's. The dohc loves to be revved *sp* more so than the LS1's and topend is their forte.

Fwiw my 01 4v equipped GT dynoed @ 300/308 with catback/h-pipe/intake. I haven't had a chance to get any times due to my posi going out on me, but she will run 12's once I get that fixed.

I'm am sorry but a stock cobra (95-99) gets walked by an LS1 on top end. I have never read, heard, or seen any stock for stock stang gt or cobra keep up with a well driven LS1. Sorry but those are my encounters. I work with a guy pushing probaly 280 to the wheels in his 95 with 3.55 rear gears and D/R's....he gets walked by LS-1 all day long...sure it isnt DOHC but the 4.6 isnt much on top end..

As to the poster...I wasnt calling BS or trying to say you post lies, just saying that I doubt it was a cobra. I did misread that you were stage 2 and he could have been stock and I can see that as a race. But if anything (other then flowmasters) were done to the stang I dont think it would be a race.

Maybe this was a GT you raced...Put a flowmaster SOHC next to a flowmaster DOHC and I bet you cant tell the difference....Not saying you dont know **** about cars....just saying a GT isnt hard at all to clone into a cobra...

As for the 99 and up comment....99 had several problems with the motor...00 wasnt a bad year.and in 01 ford lost there butt on the cobra cause of the over rating issue.

Call my bias or uneducated...but those are my thoughts/theroys on this topic......not calling BS just doubt it was a cobra.....sorry.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

LS1's trap 107 stock. The 96-2002 cobras trapped 105ish. Id rather have the 4valve mustang motor though. Sounds awesome (revs to 8,000rpm)
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi
    I'm am sorry but a stock cobra (95-99) gets walked by an LS1 on top end. I have never read, heard, or seen any stock for stock stang gt or cobra keep up with a well driven LS1. Sorry but those are my encounters. I work with a guy pushing probaly 280 to the wheels in his 95 with 3.55 rear gears and D/R's....he gets walked by LS-1 all day long...sure it isnt DOHC but the 4.6 isnt much on top end..

As to the poster...I wasnt calling BS or trying to say you post lies, just saying that I doubt it was a cobra. I did misread that you were stage 2 and he could have been stock and I can see that as a race. But if anything (other then flowmasters) were done to the stang I dont think it would be a race.

Maybe this was a GT you raced...Put a flowmaster SOHC next to a flowmaster DOHC and I bet you cant tell the difference....Not saying you dont know **** about cars....just saying a GT isnt hard at all to clone into a cobra...

As for the 99 and up comment....99 had several problems with the motor...00 wasnt a bad year.and in 01 ford lost there butt on the cobra cause of the over rating issue.

Call my bias or uneducated...but those are my thoughts/theroys on this topic......not calling BS just doubt it was a cobra.....sorry.
    Pushrod motors and early 96-98 GT's have no topend. The 4v motors have always liked to be reved *sp*. The thing with these cars is you mus rev them shifting at 6k will lead to getting your a$$ kicked by everyone, you'd be suprised how many people can't drive

I've raced lightly modded LS1's and it's usually whoever gets off the line the best will win. Stock for stock it is a hard battle to win against the LS1, but not impossible....
    Blaiz
    32vGT

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    LS1's trap 107 stock. The 96-2002 cobras trapped 105ish. Id rather have the 4valve mustang motor though. Sounds awesome (revs to 8,000rpm)
    Safely you can do 7200 rpms any higher then you're looking for trouble
    Blaiz
    32vGT

my first post on this board and its gonna be some **** talking, LOL. i own both a lightly modded 96 cobra and a vishnu stage 2 03 WRX. well to start, they never made a 94-98 cobra in silver so you definatly didnt race a cobra. redline is 7200 on the cobra motors, they typically make 260ish rwhp and they weight between 3400 and 3500 without passengers. with the VF34 my rex barely pulls harder than my cobra from a roll and my cobra trapped 104 (really hot day at the track, 107 degrees F). not to burst your bubble bro, but it was probably GT. good kill regardless!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.