STi vs new vette
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs new vette within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Had a run in today on the way to the airport with a brand new vette....the one with the covered ...

I Support ClubWRX

STi vs new vette

Had a run in today on the way to the airport with a brand new vette....the one with the covered lights (C6???)

Heading N on 1 to Philly airport, just south of 202, and traffic was a bit frustrating. To top it off, just ahead of me was beautiful blue vette. Only problem was, he was poking along in the left lane as WE ALL JUST LOVE!!!
    I was trying to be adult about it, and just stayed back to wait for traffic to clear on the right to get around him. No go...6 or 7 cars on the right, and this one schmuck keeping pace with the last car in line.

We get up to 202 and everyone gets in the right lane and left turn lanes, leaving the left straight lane open. The vette stops at the light and I'm right behind him. I pipe him off once to let him know I'm behind him and I see him glance in is rearview mirror, then scrunch down and look in his drivers side mirror. He then looks over at his passenger, points to the rear, and I can see them both laughing. Needless to say, at this point, I'm about ready to show him whats up.

Light turns green and he sloooooowly pulls out. I'm behind him, staying a few lengths behind. The right lane is EMPTY, and he still doesn't get over. So I signal, and accelerate moderately to go around, and I'm just waiting for him to make a move. Just as I get to his door, I hear him hammer it. We are going only about 20 or 30 at this point, as I said...he was really poking along.

Like I said, I was just waiting for this, and it would be my first real test with the Cobb stage 2. All I see is this shocked expression from his passenger as I scream by, nail third and hit him with a BOV and a nice braaaaap from the rich exhaust. He was well into it, but I slowly walked by him. At about 80, I had about a length and a half on him. My turn was coming up, so I started to slow down. So does he, and then he pulls a quick right. Guess he didn't want to see what beat him.

Long story short...I took a new vette from a slow roll to 80, and he was slowly losing ground. YES!!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

BS

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Had a run in today on the way to the airport with a brand new vette....the one with the covered lights (C6???)

Heading N on 1 to Philly airport, just south of 202, and traffic was a bit frustrating. To top it off, just ahead of me was beautiful blue vette. Only problem was, he was poking along in the left lane as WE ALL JUST LOVE!!!
    I was trying to be adult about it, and just stayed back to wait for traffic to clear on the right to get around him. No go...6 or 7 cars on the right, and this one schmuck keeping pace with the last car in line.

We get up to 202 and everyone gets in the right lane and left turn lanes, leaving the left straight lane open. The vette stops at the light and I'm right behind him. I pipe him off once to let him know I'm behind him and I see him glance in is rearview mirror, then scrunch down and look in his drivers side mirror. He then looks over at his passenger, points to the rear, and I can see them both laughing. Needless to say, at this point, I'm about ready to show him whats up.

Light turns green and he sloooooowly pulls out. I'm behind him, staying a few lengths behind. The right lane is EMPTY, and he still doesn't get over. So I signal, and accelerate moderately to go around, and I'm just waiting for him to make a move. Just as I get to his door, I hear him hammer it. We are going only about 20 or 30 at this point, as I said...he was really poking along.

Like I said, I was just waiting for this, and it would be my first real test with the Cobb stage 2. All I see is this shocked expression from his passenger as I scream by, nail third and hit him with a BOV and a nice braaaaap from the rich exhaust. He was well into it, but I slowly walked by him. At about 80, I had about a length and a half on him. My turn was coming up, so I started to slow down. So does he, and then he pulls a quick right. Guess he didn't want to see what beat him.

Long story short...I took a new vette from a slow roll to 80, and he was slowly losing ground. YES!!!!

..and then your alarm clock went off and you woke up right? If you are serious, that guy couldnt drive to save his life. I raced a C6 today in my 550hp Chevelle that runs 12.1@114mph and I just BARELY beat him up to 100mph by maybe a full length. I can safely say there is no Cobb 2 on this planet trapping anywhere close to 114mph and there is NO WAY in hell a Cobb 2 walks a C6 like that, especially from a roll.
    Last edited by mball; 03-13-2005 at 11:17 PM.

Nice kill
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Quote Originally Posted by mball
    I can safely say there is no Cobb 2 on this planet trapping anywhere close to 114mph and there is NO WAY in hell a Cobb 2 walks a C6 like that, especially from a roll.

maybe both the C6 driver and passenger weighed 300 lbs each

i'm not calling bs cause some people just dont know how to drive cars and **** on street just happens. If guy doesnt think much of sti and shifts early or maybe started out a gear lower or something than hey, anything can happen. Thats what i dont like about street race stories, you never really know what was going on. Will a cobb stage 2 sti pull on a c6 no. From a launch it would be fun probably,no way in hell from a roll unless something is just wrong and one of the above mentioned happens. Now you did sound kinda confused about what type of vette you saw. Are you sure it was a c6?? i know a stage 2 sti could probably do well against a c5 and stay close even off a roll. I raced a stock c5 convertible 3 heads in my car one in his and he took me by like 1 1/2 cars so im pretty sure a stage 2 would hang. (of course convertible is heavier)
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    i'm not calling bs cause some people just dont know how to drive cars and **** on street just happens. If guy doesnt think much of sti and shifts early or maybe started out a gear lower or something than hey, anything can happen. Thats what i dont like about street race stories, you never really know what was going on. Will a cobb stage 2 sti pull on a c6 no. From a launch it would be fun probably,no way in hell from a roll unless something is just wrong and one of the above mentioned happens. Now you did sound kinda confused about what type of vette you saw. Are you sure it was a c6?? i know a stage 2 sti could probably do well against a c5 and stay close even off a roll. I raced a stock c5 convertible 3 heads in my car one in his and he took me by like 1 1/2 cars so im pretty sure a stage 2 would hang. (of course convertible is heavier)
    But they were racing from a roll and the consensus seems to lean towards the opinion that, racing from a "roll", takes no skill.
    Last edited by fastwrx135; 03-14-2005 at 02:01 AM.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Nice kill!!!!!!!! I dream of racing one of these for the same reason you did to see the look on there face when a 4 door kicks there ass. I see you went to STG 2, my buddy just did the same thing last week and I cant belive how much of a difference it made, it was peeking at about 18.3 PSI and in 5th and 6th gear it was holding 17.8 like a champ. I was impressed as hell at how much it helped. Now when I cruise with him in the EVO I dont have to be the bully I can sit back and watch him pick on some people Hopefully we get some warm weather soon and we can all meet back up at KahunaVille for some beer.

Good Kill

Staton
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

Nice kill. I HATE when people are in the left lane driving the same speed as the right!! I dont care if youre driving a ferrari or vett, get out of the left lane if youre not pulling thru! Then when you go to pass them they speed up . Im happy i have a "fast" car just for those circumstances.
    FYI, ybnormal07 is not a bs'er! Maybe the vett could not drive or was in a high gear....whatever. Still nice to run a vett.

Quote Originally Posted by DIE DIE
    BS
    ^^
    Just found out your 350z ain't the shiznit, or is it just a high flow day? Check out his other posts before calling the parent poster out. I'd believe this post, bad drivers are in abundance.

Well this could have happened, especially if the C6 was an auto, caught in the wrong gear (for a manual) and/or couldn't find traction. Ybnormal was also already accelerating around him, giving him the advantage. The run only went up to 80mph too. It's obvious that as the speeds increased the C6 would just blow by him.

I'm not saying that a STi is faster than a C6, just that in this instance it was in ybnormal's favour. 300+whp/330wtq+, already accelerating faster than the vette, right in the sweet spot of 2nd (i.e. low roll), shorter gearing, driver not expecting the car to be so fast, etc. What's not to believe?
    2005 Aspen White STi

I'm convinced YBNormal got a factory freak.

I raced a C6 this weekend from a roll and he had me by a car to 100 mph.

Then I met him up at the track sunday and beat the pants off him. Kid couldn't drive. Best he got was a 13.1 to my 12.6. That was classic. Everyone there was shocked when the little 4 door family car with a picnic table wing beat the brand new, shiney, beautiful C6.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    I'm convinced YBNormal got a factory freak.

I raced a C6 this weekend from a roll and he had me by a car to 100 mph.

Then I met him up at the track sunday and beat the pants off him. Kid couldn't drive. Best he got was a 13.1 to my 12.6. That was classic. Everyone there was shocked when the little 4 door family car with a picnic table wing beat the brand new, shiney, beautiful C6.
    Out of curiosity, what does 12.6 to 13.1 equate in car lengths? 2?
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Out of curiosity, what does 12.6 to 13.1 equate in car lengths? 2?

It's hard to say....I would say 2 cars minimum...maybe 3. He trapped a whole lot higher though so had it been much longer he would have passed me pretty good.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

nice run
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast