WRX Vs. M5 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. M5 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ej20fan Since this thread is still kicking with enthusiasm....the M5 is highly over-rated IMO. With an excellent ...

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Since this thread is still kicking with enthusiasm....the M5 is highly over-rated IMO. With an excellent driver it'll pull a low 14 at LACR. Stock M3's usually run 14.2-14.7 depending on driver and configuration (smg or 5mt). The trap speed is ridiculous though, usually high 90's to low 100's.
    Are you guys at unGodly altitude or something? M5 is NOT over-rated, and anyone who has driven one will agree. I dont know who drives these cars and whats wrong with them but an M3 should have NO trouble knocking off mid 13's and high 13's with a not so good driver. M5 runs low 13's no problem with several breaking into 12's completely stock!!

as for the trap speeds, M3 traps around 103-105 and the M5 traps 107-109.

I dont know where you got that info.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    LACR. Anyone living in LA will tell you that everyone is slow. Uphill, dusty and at elevation, there's not much else that could be wrong with a track. But... it's cheap, fun, and local, which explains it's popularity. Cars usually run about a .6-1.0 seconds slower. NA vehicles take the biggest hit, explaining why the M's have a hard time there.

In regards to M's being over-rated, I should've stated over-priced. They're very nice cars, I don't disagree, but they're definately not the ultimate performers BMW wants us to believe that they are. Pinnacles of refined sport-luxury sedan segments, and their price segments....definately. Kicking A$$ and taking numbers....well..that's why we have tuner cars, Porsche, Vettes, Vipers etc... These obviously don't compare in the refinement or luxury department, I'd never make that case, but they are purpose built vehicles, the M's happen to be extremely good sedans/people movers. The others are built for performance and speed. Creature comforts are mostly an afterthought.

I'd rather take an M for a cross state stint any day, but no matter how sharp or large the knife, it won't win a gunfight. So what I'm saying is that the Bimmers are performance oriented luxury cars, not full-fledged, purpose built performance vehicles.

Don't get me wrong, I like M's. They're nice cars. But they're not sports cars, nor sport oriented vehicles. They don't build 5 or 3 series sedans for performance, but the luxury sport sedan market. I don't know why so many are surprised that they got taken out by a WRX?? The STi in stock trim is THE faster car in the world from 0-30. Yes, it even beats the Enzo. Now... translate into a real world street, where the road is not sticky, and burn out puddles are not available, traction is king meaning that even a stock WRX should have no problem slapping around a few RWD cars that would've taken it out at a track. Plus, most races off the track, don't run a full 1/4. More like 1/8 meaning that the M's wouldn't get to use their massive top end. Even with a full stage 4, I'd be wary of messing with these guys on the freeway.
    Last edited by ej20fan; 03-16-2005 at 10:56 PM.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Don't get me wrong, I like M's. They're nice cars. But they're not sports cars, nor sport oriented vehicles. They don't build 5 or 3 series sedans for performance, but the luxury sport sedan market. I don't know why so many are surprised that they got taken out by a WRX?? The STi in stock trim is THE faster car in the world from 0-30. Yes, it even beats the Enzo. Now... translate into a real world street, where the road is not sticky, and burn out puddles are not available, traction is king meaning that even a stock WRX should have no problem slapping around a few RWD cars that would've taken it out at a track. Plus, most races off the track, don't run a full 1/4. More like 1/8 meaning that the M's wouldn't get to use their massive top end. Even with a full stage 4, I'd be wary of messing with these guys on the freeway.
    I know what threw me off about the original post was simply that the M5 pulled 4 cars and then stopped pulling! Why would it stop pulling? As speed increases, traction isn't an issue, weight becomes much less of an issue, but power and gearing become more of an issue. All those things favor the M5. There is no reason that if both of them were WOT that the M5 didn't continue to pull. From a stop, yea, the wrx will have an advantage to a point, but once the speeds get up there, there should be no contest.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    I concur. But we're all Fantasy racing right now. Comparing spec's and on. bottom line is that we'll never know what happened. Maybe the guy in the M5 was changing his Mozart discs, or dropped his coke-vile under the accelerator. $5K in blow ain't worth the race. We'll never really be able to prove the story either way. They're still nice though. It would take a lot for me to get one though. Maybe the next generation will have what it takes to sway me.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

lol "coke vial"
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    oops. Spelling is not ny forte in the wee-hours of the night.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.