WRX Vs. M5 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Vs. M5 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 4.4 L 540IL's (120 less horse than M5) put LS1's in the mirror at 120... from ...

J-H
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    4.4 L 540IL's (120 less horse than M5) put LS1's in the mirror at 120... from a dig... testament to the true cojones of the german powertrain engineering. Heavier, less powerful, but wickedly fast once rolling..
    WOW, I did not know that.....I have always smoked my friends 540'.....I was stock and we went to 115.....maybe after that....

I have run LS1' and these has just destroyed me on the highway....I did not know the 540 had the bawlz to take them down.....

Last edited by J-H; 03-15-2005 at 11:05 AM.
    My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

back in 98 motortrend did a 0-150-0 test. and the manual 540 put the SS in the mirrors after 120mph. Sure the Camaro was faster to 60, and trapped a few mph higher... but that really had no bearing on the german smackdown that gets unleashed above 100.

In no way would i ever put money on a stock turbod rex versus the 5.0L 400hp M5.
    Hell i wouldnt feel safe in an LS1 Fbody unless i had heads and cams.

edit: found the 0-150 results and it was car and driver, not MT

The entrants in the high performance theme were

Acura NSX -35.9

Dodge Viper -31.6

Chevy Corvette -43.7

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera -45.2

The high-zoot-sedan-banner

BMW 540i Sport -42.6

Jaguar XJR -43.4

Value Velocity

Chevy Camaro Z28 SS -43.7
    Last edited by Anzioblack44; 03-15-2005 at 12:07 PM.
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

im calling BS on that i don't care what was in the mag. There is no way that a 540i is gonna smoke a SS it just isn't happening. On the straight at summit point race way in west VA i passed a F360 like it was standing still. This was only with an exhaust on the SS. And if u were to read the post again i never beat a M5 i paced him about 5 car lengths back.

Magazine racing is crap, don't play that game. Often times they are skewed to certain cars and not just a judgement through true tests. How obvious is it that those test results are messed up?

They have the vette with the same time as a SS Camaro....sorry, go do a side by side race on the 540 and the Camaro and youll find the camaro pulling ~
    '02 WRB WRX wingless
    Its stock...I swear....and its N/A too
    ...thats not turbo spool you hear thats a vaccuum leak!

guys your missing the picture. i was simply giving an example of how a E39 with mediocre power 282 hp would dispatch a stock turbo'd wrx easily. A 400 M5 would eat one for a snack.

Ive driven both the LS1 SS and the 540i. Both are way way faster than my Stage II rex with RA gears was.

sure it was magazine article, not some no name forum with naive teenage racers.. these were professional drivers testing the Cars all out capability. 0-150mph. The BMW passed the SS... they even noted it in text. meaning both cars were running down the straight. they also noted that if you give a Viper a standing 1/4 mile it will eat it up in 33 seconds and youll look down to discover 170+ mph on your needle.

this isnt honk honk honk go... like most of the street racing thats done here. Id trust lasers professional drivers on a closed track and digital data over, "yea dude he took me by 4 cars"

Alright well im done with this topic.

bmws make some wicked rides. i have ran m3's and won but i would still be a little nervous racing an m5 with my current mods

sick ride sonic

Magazine racing is an excellent starting place when discussing such topics, but i think what you are failing to grasp, is that most of the events that are topics in this forum, take place in real world, street settings. Now, lets be realistic here. Clearly the M5 is MUCH faster then a WRX. Okay, that is over and done with and we all will agree. However, on the street, in real world situations, just like the one JLB725 described, it is quite possible for a well driven WRX with his mods, to fair decently against a M5. I am not saying keep up with or beat a M5, but fair decently. As far as WRX vs. 540i go, thats a drivers race. Over 100MPH most European cars will have a better chance then the WRX, thats just how they are geared. Having driven the M5, and knowing the powerband they have quite well, I am aware even a poorly driven M5 can kill a WRX. But 5 car lenghts is A LOT of space, so its realistic.
    So as far as this story goes, if JLB725 would have said 2-3 car lengths, you could call BS and you should. But 5 cars is a lot space, and he told the story as it is. He didnt say he beat an M5! Get over it!
    -Marc

I even raced a M5 when I was stock from 80MPH to 130MPH and he was about 2 medium sized yacht lengths ahead...but it was at night, so I could still see his tail lights...So dont go bust out some Boating Magazines on me and call BS on that...
    WRX - It's not a rocket. It's a guided missile.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Since this thread is still kicking with enthusiasm....the M5 is highly over-rated IMO. With an excellent driver it'll pull a low 14 at LACR. Stock M3's usually run 14.2-14.7 depending on driver and configuration (smg or 5mt). The trap speed is ridiculous though, usually high 90's to low 100's. On the highway, they are monsters and will eat domestics V8's as though it's the sunday morning champagne brunch buffet. But it's a completely different story below the 40mph mark. It's this thing called gravitational pull, mass resisting force exerted upon it (inertia is actually not a real term), and trust me...the M5 has its share of mass.

I spank my friends M5 every time we run from a stop. He's got the entire Dinan catalog, I have Intake,up/down, exhaust, FMIC and Ecutek. In the 1/4 he loses by about 3 cars, but I'd see his tail lights if the track was a few hundred feet longer. The top end is un-believable.He kills me on the freeway, i mean it's not even close. The first time I had to check and make sure I was pressing the right pedal. They're nice, but I'd never buy one. They always break (check the M5 forums, or ask my buddy) they're ridiculously expensive to fix, and depreciate faster than a Buick (i'm exaggerating). I'd prefer the AMG myself. The M5 is a nice car, just not a dragster, but a true GT car. High speed and sweepers are it's forte. M3's and M5 are notorious for wheel hop, broken sway bar retainer clips and endlinks whenever launched aggressively. They were not built for 0-60 sprints or glory at the 1/4. They are very nice, very comfy and do have class though. But not my cup of tea.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

i dont necessarily think its bs, just saying car for car w/o driver error these cars are not comparable. Unless you are packin something bigger than a VF30 style turbo
    why? http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-M5-Timeslip-5002.html

good run anyways!
    Last edited by Anzioblack44; 03-16-2005 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44
    i dont necessarily think its bs, just saying car for car w/o driver error these cars are not comparable. Unless you are packin something bigger than a VF30 style turbo
    why? http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-M5-Timeslip-5002.html

good run anyways!
    damn, 12.8 and 1.8 60' stock!!!!!!!!

Thats probably one of the quicker M5's I have seen stock then
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

ClubWRX.net Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    damn, 12.8 and 1.8 60' stock!!!!!!!!

Thats probably one of the quicker M5's I have seen stock then
    I'd say that's the fastest M5 in stock trim in the world. Somebody get guiness on the phone.

If there are any M5 owners here to chip in....let usknow.
    Those fools, EVO vs. STi??? That's like comparing ....wait a minute...there's no comparison. The Suby's still working!!! The evo...well... I hope he got the extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    I'd say that's the fastest M5 in stock trim in the world. Somebody get guiness on the phone.

If there are any M5 owners here to chip in....let usknow.
    I know of few that have hit 12.9 and handful of them that have 13.0's but most are like 13.2-13.3 if they drive decently. 12.8 is possible in the car, but I have never heard of a time that good.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

J-H
    Quote Originally Posted by ej20fan
    Since this thread is still kicking with enthusiasm....the M5 is highly over-rated IMO. With an excellent driver it'll pull a low 14 at LACR. Stock M3's usually run 14.2-14.7 depending on driver and configuration (smg or 5mt). The trap speed is ridiculous though, usually high 90's to low 100's.
    That seems awfully slow for an M5.........low 14's?????????????????

M3's running mid to high14's??????????????????????

I dunno man......

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast