My 1st racing post (against a Lightning)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My 1st racing post (against a Lightning) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I had a run in with a Lightning yesterday. This happened at a nearby road (near my work). At first, ...

My 1st racing post (against a Lightning)

I had a run in with a Lightning yesterday. This happened at a nearby road (near my work). At first, I didn’t pay him no mind because I thought he wasn’t starting anything with me. As I proceeded from stop light to stop light, I notice him revving at me and staying pace with me (going the speed limit – 45mph). So then I look over at him and he guns it without any warning what-so-ever. So I said to myself that I’ll just let him go because for one thing, I just didn’t feel like a race today and secondly COPS. So as I was approaching the next light (which was red – was that predictable or what), I look over and said…”back to square 1”. And he said…”I meant to catch the light, I wanted to see what you got” and then he smiles. I was thinking, WTF!!!! I told him let’s do it. I can see that he got all excited thinking he was going to place another WRX under his belt. As we were waiting for the green, he was revving the hell out of his engine. Finally, I can see the cross-lights turn yellow to red And then he jump the light So needless to say, he got out faster than me. I was playing catch-up and rung out 1st (I shifted @ 7100rpms – I have my Link set to 7300rpms) and I was at his side door. Then I shifted to 2nd and redlined there as well and I was a ½ a car length ahead already. Went into 3rd and I didn’t even get a chance to top out of 3rd because we came up on another red light. But by that time, I pulled about 2 – 3 cars on him. It was most exhilarating. At the light he didn’t even want to talk to me nor even look at my direction He just pretended that he was playing with his radio (CLASSIC!!!!). I wasn’t even going to talk smack at all. In fact, I was going to give him props. Oh well, I guess he had better things to do than exchange pleasantries with me.

Maybe next time, he will watch out for WRXs…

…but then again, maybe not

~joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah. MY MAN!!!! Nice Kill. Now bring that beast to the track. Please kindly tell all of the members your mods so they can understand what you are playing with.

ATTENTION! EVERYONE!!

MY man is not playing with anything normal here. He has one serious street machine. STAND BACK.

You better take me for a ride at the next San Jose In N Out meet.

And since you complimented clubWRX.net so much at the last meet, I have got a
    clubWRX.net sticker for your back window. HOMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

Aight baby, I'll sport those anytime As for my mods (power)...

*Vishnu Uppipe
    *Vishnu UDP
    *Bozz Speed 3 inch Turbo Back Exhaust
    *PE 1820f Turbo <-- this is where most of the power comes from
    *sti 565 injectors
    *blitz SBC-id boost controller - boost set 16.5 during the race
    *blitz FMIC
    *blitz intake filter
    *Ngk plugs (a step colder)
    *WRXLink

On stock rollers too

~joe

Valdezj,

Welcome to the "V8-ass-kicking" club!

Remember, "The Surgeon General Says it's OK to smoke V8s."

ROCK ON!

Mustang owners, talk a lot fo schhh.
    Lightning owners talk a lot of schh.
    This guy jumps the light and you still KICK HIS ASS.
    Let's face facts, if you drive a lead-sled with a supercharged V8, you aren't beating the WRX in the 1/8 mile. PERIOD.

-Jim

Originally posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
    And since you complimented clubWRX.net so much at the last meet, I have got a
    clubWRX.net sticker for your back window. HOMIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)
    You gotz to be lettin 'em all KNOO who just BEAT'EM, jive-turkey.

-Jim

Thanks Jim...

Yeah man, I was surprised to find out how much of a "pig" the lightning was - 4700lbs? That's stout man...

~joe

Originally posted by valdezj
    Yeah man, I was surprised to find out how much of a "pig" the lightning was - 4700lbs? That's stout man...

~joe
    It's like a solid chunk of steel. Take a look under the hood!

-Jim

Those lightnings are definitely impressive, so major props on your kill.

I'm curious as to your times as well. Your setup sounds similar to what Dan (godspeed) was running and he never made it to the track (AFAIK).
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

I haven't made it out to the track myself. I was going to go this past Wednesday but couldn't get out of work. I'll probably go next week

~joe

You did it the hard way playing catch up. If you would have left the line fast ( what a WRX does best) you would have taken him real easy.
    Good job!

lightning ?

is lightning a mustang ?

Talking Lightning??

No dude! lightning is the Ford SVT truck. One of my co worker has it and those are pretty powerful - 380 HP (12.28 lb/HP for SVT Lightning vs 13.59 lb/hp for wrx sedan & 13.94 lb/hp for WRX wagon) and they all come with automatic transmissions. I am surprised that even with a BAD start, a WRX could beat one of those. May be the mods helped. I never raced one but plan to. My guess is, unless WRX (STOCK) has a great start, it is hard to beat a lightning. They have awesome high end torque (450 lb/ft of torque) and in 3rd it will be hard to keep up.
    Last edited by WRXRacer02; 09-22-2002 at 08:32 AM.

They are not as fast as I thought. I ran my boss's 2002 and pulled on him a little, and that was a high 2nd gear pull.
    2005 STI
    Obsidian black with gold wheels

Moderator of SE forum

Quote:
    What is the handicapped parking situation at the special olympics?

Nice run with the lightning! I love the part where he wouldnt even look at you after you whooped on his arse...
    2006 Porsche Cayman S

I'm not sure how he would have revved at you. All L's are automatic. I suppose he could have put it in neutral, but if you were waiting at a light, thats not the smartest thing to do.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.