More automotive press spouting over SUVs... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on More automotive press spouting over SUVs... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally posted by jk147 What a waste of gas, those giant suvs. I see them all the time with one ...

Originally posted by jk147
    What a waste of gas, those giant suvs. I see them all the time with one or two drivers at most.
    hmmmmm....that must be those new giant SUVs that require an extra person in the back to steer the rear end......right?
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Originally posted by jk147
    What a waste of gas, those giant suvs. I see them all the time with one or two drivers at most.
    No kiddin'? The most drivers I've seen in any SUV is one.

For those SUVs where you've seen two drivers, was there a steering wheel on each side? Or were both drivers crammed into one seat?

I seriously want the gas price to go up to 2-3 dollars a gallon, so people will conserve and start buying compact and sedans again.
    I seriously want you to never produce offspring.

You want everybody to have to pay more for something just because you don't like it. You're a true self-centered schmuck.

What everybody else drives is none of your concern.

Banned
    My mom drives a suv, but she is pretty active, climbing mountains (rainier) and parachuting and stuff like that, so she needs it. But on the way to work and back shes all by her self in it.

I ran over to the local Subway for a sandwich and saw an Excursion. It was lifted about 10inches and had 44s sitting under it. Now 44s are 44 inches tall this one was lifted high enough that the tires were not in the wheel wells at all. I would have to say i would drive it, but i wouldnt buy it.

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

That would be really fun to drive, IMO.
    Raising gas prices would inconvience everyone, and I dont think that gas prices are a major concern when someone buys an SUV (not saying they don't consider it at all)

-Josh
    "I don't think he knows how to give up. His mind and machine are racing as one." -Takahashi Ryosuke

Originally posted by ScoobySteve

The Lincoln Navigator gets my vote for the biggest SUV obscenity. Power retractable door steps, anyone ?
    The best part is that as these SUV's get bigger and bigger, they get more and more fragile. How long do you think the power retractable door steps will last? I doubt they make it through a winter. These SUV's are geared at urban driving, not the boonies where they're supposed to be.

I love following a Ford Escape. The lower control arms would get torn off the minute that truck hit a rut.

It's all a bunch of over priced crap IMO.
    2002 WRX Sedan 5-spd

The dumbest buy the mostest.

Banned
    Everyone knows SUV = fast, the formula is long so Ill do it only if needed.

Banned
    Originally posted by Root
    I ran over to the local Subway for a sandwich and saw an Excursion. It was lifted about 10inches and had 44s sitting under it. Now 44s are 44 inches tall this one was lifted high enough that the tires were not in the wheel wells at all. I would have to say i would drive it, but i wouldnt buy it.

Justin
    Whoa 44 inches is almost as tall as me.

excursions are being taken off the market, I think this is there last year...I love thoes suvs! I want a navigator.
    Låt mig se dig avklädd!

Forced to box.

"That's the trouble, a sex symbol becomes a thing. But if I'm going to be a symbol of something, I'd rather have it sex than some other things we've got symbols of." MM

Originally posted by ScoobySteve

The Hummer H2 is a seriously capable off-road machine. Seen any footage of that thing climbing over large boulders, etc. ? Impressive. However, I share your fears that most of them will find their way into the hands of poseurs. In a purely street application - I agree, they are hugely wasteful.

The Lincoln Navigator gets my vote for the biggest SUV obscenity. Power retractable door steps, anyone ?
    Actually the H1 is a seriously capable off-road machine, the H2 is really just a Suburban with a Hummer type body, and a little more clearence.

On another note, I live on the eastcoast, NYC and Snowboard every weekend in VT or NH, and here are some observations; The majority of people who live in the Northern country drive fwd(mainly VW's) or awd (scoobs) not suv's, makes you think about the practicality of 4wd. On my trips, no matter what the weather my friends who all drive either suv's (small) or jeeps can not keep up with me, this when I was driving my 98 Jetta, cant wait to see the WRX comp. They are generally unable to drive at a decent rate of speed on any twisties, ie. Merrick Pkwy, I91, or any VT road, and constantly complain I'm going too fast. There only value is if I get snowed in they can occasionally pull me out. They also make for a horrific passanger experience, I feel like im at an amusment park. The majority of owners are soccer moms who cant drive for sh*t, but hubby wants them to be safe, a # of years ago one such soccer mom in a suburban decided to make a K-turn on a decent sized twoway street and of course backed into the side of my car, while parked ooh the rage. Finnally though, I believe the SUV craze is comming to an end, give it a few years, people are beginning to realize they are an absolute waste of money, and a danger to our roads.

Originally posted by Judge
    The majority of people who live in the Northern country drive fwd(mainly VW's) or awd (scoobs) not suv's, makes you think about the practicality of 4wd.
    I went on a vacation a couple of years ago to Taos, New Mexico, and observed something similar. That area is a well known ski resort with a lot of snow-covered roads in the mountains and many places can only be reached on dirt/gravel roads. I noticed that of all the local cars there, there were hardly any SUVs. In fact, the most popluar car happens to be the Subaru! Fuel efficiency as well as price had a lot to do with it. I've wanted a Subaru ever since. The only time I did see a bunch of SUVs was in the parking lots of the more expensive resorts. They all had California plates and belonged to vacationers from L.A.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.