STi vs 350Z
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; after reading bunch of threads saying that sti vs z is a driver's race in a rolling start.. i had ...

STi vs 350Z

after reading bunch of threads saying that sti vs z is a driver's race in a rolling start.. i had to run for myself to see if that was true.

so i asked one of my friend to race who had his Z for sometime now...
    we decided to start from 30mph...
    anyways to make a long story short let me just say that.. STi vs Z is NOT a driver's race. i dont know who came up with that but my STi walked the Z without a problem. i am not a great driver... yet i was still able to beat him easily. by the my mid 4th gear he was at least 3~4 cars behind and i was still pulling.
    imagine this from a dig.... its not going to be cars lengths.. but more like bus lengths...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by culmination
    after reading bunch of threads saying that sti vs z is a driver's race in a rolling start.. i had to run for myself to see if that was true.

anyways to make a long story short let me just say that.. STi vs Z is NOT a driver's race. i dont know who came up with that but my STi walked the Z without a problem. i am not a great driver... yet i was still able to beat him easily. by the my mid 4th gear he was at least 3~4 cars behind and i was still pulling.
    imagine this from a dig.... its not going to be cars lengths.. but more like bus lengths...
    Borrow or rent a video camera and get it on film. No Z driver will believe it until you prove it.

(pssst good kill )
    2005 Aspen White STi

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't mind, why don't you cross post this on www.my350z.com forums. Specifically in the "Race" then "street" forum. They just refuse to believe an STi will take a 350Z from a roll. Or...how about getting you friend with the Z to post on here also to verify your runs. Thanks....and good kill!!!
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I don't understand why any 350Z owners would call it a "driver's race." How is it a drivers race when the STi has more horsepower/torque, weighs 200-300 pounds less, and has AWD?

Quote Originally Posted by stealth_rex
    I don't understand why any 350Z owners would call it a "driver's race." How is it a drivers race when the STi has more horsepower/torque, weighs 200-300 pounds less, and has AWD?
    Well it doesn't weigh 200-300lbs less...

The Z's range from 3,188lbs (base) to 3,299 (35th anniversary edition), so if anything they might be lighter than the STi which weighs in between 3,268-3300lbs.

Our power advantage is probably semi negated by our AWD. What brings the advantage back into our favour is our traction down low (from a stop or low roll) and the fact that our gearing is setup for quick 0-90ish runs.

While I still believe the STi to be faster, I don't think it is the murdering some people make it out to be. We just have a much better advantage in the power mods department (up until you factor in the expensive turbo kits for the Z.)
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    If you don't mind, why don't you cross post this on www.my350z.com forums. Specifically in the "Race" then "street" forum. They just refuse to believe an STi will take a 350Z from a roll. Or...how about getting you friend with the Z to post on here also to verify your runs. Thanks....and good kill!!!
    Its not that they "refuse" to believe an STi can take a 350z from a roll. They are saying that the race can go either way. Its the STi owners who are saying that they will win EVERY single time from a roll...
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend

The Z's range from 3,188lbs (base) to 3,299 (35th anniversary edition), so if anything they might be lighter than the STi which weighs in between 3,268-3300lbs.

Our power advantage is probably semi negated by our AWD. What brings the advantage back into our favour is our traction down low (from a stop or low roll) and the fact that our gearing is setup for quick 0-90ish runs.

While I still believe the STi to be faster, I don't think it is the murdering some people make it out to be. We just have a much better advantage in the power mods department (up until you factor in the expensive turbo kits for the Z.)
    +1
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

ive been to the my350z.com

not that much different from srt forum and the clubrsx.net forum
    they have beaten it all

sl 55 amg
    cobra
    SS
    e46 m3
    Evo
    STi
    ws6

see i admit my loss.. like when i raced a modified cobra. i lost like i was going on reverse. anyways i'll try to get it on tape if i can.. and show what the outcome is.

anyways clubrsx is pretty funny too. rsx-s with i/h/e and hondata #4 will beat all the cars that are listed above... don't believe? go visit their forum.

but i am satisfied at least for myself of finally putting a rest to the infamous STi vs 350z. im done~

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend

well said.

STi and 350Z both make similar whp and both weigh around the same. This would lead people to think that it is a drivers race, but in essence the STi still traps about 1-2mph higher. A 350z is going to lose to an STi from a rolling race about 75-80% of the time. Its not a drivers race, but its not like the STi kills the 350z either.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    Its not that they "refuse" to believe an STi can take a 350z from a roll. They are saying that the race can go either way. Its the STi owners who are saying that they will win EVERY single time from a roll...
    I don't believe that "every" sti owner believes that but I think that most of us think we can take one from some of the feeback from those sti owners who have run one. I am lazy at the moment and don't feel like looking back but it also seems i've seen a few of your posts since you made the swap from subaru where you think the same.....i'm willing to go up against your G35 ANYDAY....I have zero doubt that I'll leave you behind

i'd consider changing your name from fastwrx to G35ISSLOW
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Quote Originally Posted by culmination

Just curious, did you just do the 1 run? What would have been funny is if you did like 5 runs and had equal results from different starting points.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    i'm willing to go up against your G35 ANYDAY....I have zero doubt that I'll leave you behind
    wow, your real tough. challenging a stock G35 automatic in your STi. I bet you just made your p3nis feel 3" bigger there, didn't you

wow, that was so original and funny that I am speechless..................
    O wait, no it wasn't. first off the 350Z traps about 2mph higher than a G35c and runs the 1/4 about .2sec quicker as well. That makes a pretty big difference when racing. calling out his G35 and then putting him and his car down demonstrates the maturity of a 10 year old.. congrats to you!!!111oneonee
    second, he is perfectly justified in what he says. He never said a 350Z will beat an STI, he was simply implying that too many people here think that their stock STi will put bus lengths on a 350Z from a roll, and as a matter of fact he is right. Who cares what the 350z people say or think, he is simply defending his own logic, and who are you to say that he is wrong.

grow up and look down your pants. I dont think your D!ck is nearly as big as you think it is
    Just call me Clark Kent

I don't believe that "every" sti owner believes that but I think that most of us think we can take one from some of the feeback from those sti owners who have run one. I am lazy at the moment and don't feel like looking back but it also seems i've seen a few of your posts since you made the swap from subaru where you think the same.....i'm willing to go up against your G35 ANYDAY....I have zero doubt that I'll leave you behind

Sorry, don't mean to come off like a **** but frankly I'm tired of these sti/350/G35 threads.......none of these chumps want to race to shut me up....I personally don't buy that they are faster, but that's my opinion. And it irritates me that an ex wrx owner would trade his car, pull a benedict arnold, and start talking smack in a car that's heavier and slower than both. I must be confused but from what I've read on the G35 its a 14.7 sec car at 94mph....a wrx would beat that. So sorry if I sound obnoxious but I'm tired of it all and just want these z punks to line them up or shut up.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    Yep. We are. Because it's true. Provide proof otherwise please? As I've said again and again (as you well know), I never got beat by one when I was stock. I don't know of a single STi owner that has been beat by one (and I know quite a few). All I have to go by is my own experiences and what others who I trust have told me. The insistance that it is a drivers race is (again) silly, as (again) it's ALWAYS a drivers race. To put it simply, any given car at any given time with any given driver under any given conditions can beat any other car. Yes, the Z is a good performer. But why are they so concerned about beating an STi? Especially from a roll? I see them trash SRT4 owners a lot, yet from a roll, again, it's the SRT4 for the majority of the time. Maybe there are some instances of a Z beating an STi. Bound to happen. Heck, I'm bound to get beat by one. Have you raced either car against the other? If not, why do you keep popping up here, albeit undercover of "they"..meaning the 350Z owners. Can this subject please get dropped? It's becoming one of those urban legends. although folks tend to forget about the porker Z roadster..something like 3500+ lbs if I remember correctly)

As Digitfiend has pointed out (here and previously), the cars are closely matched when you look at the specs (unless it's the poker Z roadster..what, something like +3500 lbs??). BUT, if you look at the gear ratios, and more importantly, the torque/HP curves, you'll see why an STi takes a 350Z. Power is on earlier and peaks faster for an STi. Even a Vortech supplied 350Z doesn't hit it's peak numbers until will into the 5 and 6K range. An STi is good on max torque anywhere from 3 to 4.5K, and Hp usually peaks around 4.5-5.5K. The common belief that an STi runs out of breath at higher speeds is not correct. It does run out of gear, which could be interpreted as running out of air (or boost if you prefer), but it not enough to make it a "drivers" race. Granted, the 350Z has a flatter power curve then the STi, which will make a difference at very high speeds, but not enough (IMHO) to overtake an STi, especially from a stop.

ok...I'm done here.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Sorry, don't mean to come off like a **** but frankly I'm tired of these sti/350/G35 threads.......none of these chumps want to race to shut me up....I personally don't buy that they are faster, but that's my opinion. And it irritates me that an ex wrx owner would trade his car, pull a benedict arnold, and start talking smack in a car that's heavier and slower than both. I must be confused but from what I've read on the G35 its a 14.7 sec car at 94mph....a wrx would beat that. So sorry if I sound obnoxious but I'm tired of it all and just want these z punks to line them up or shut up.
    I understand your frustration towards the plethora of threads about the STi vs 350z lately, they have gotten rather out of hand.
    first off, to correct your misconception on the G35c: an automatic will run a 14.5 completely stock. This will allow it to run next to a wrx in the 1/4 and maybe hang behind "just a bit" if the wrx driver is fairly decent and still beat the rex from a roll. a G35c 6spd manual will run very low 14's (14.0-14.3) and there are even a few in the high 13's I know of. This will walk a wrx in the 1/4, and completely destroy it from a roll, trapping nearly 5+ mph higher than a stock wrx.

Just because he made a switch to a G35c means nothing. He was having excessive reliability issues with his stageIV wrx and wanted something more reliable and luxurious. And to further reiterate what I was saying in my last post, Fastwrx135 is not "talking smack" he simply stated a point based on his own logic. His logic is not incorrect, its merely based from experience which I would tend to agree with in certain aspects.
    as for the "z punks should line em up, or shut up" remark, this may be rathe true for the 350Z forums, but fastwrx135 seems to just be saying that too many STi owners think they will rape and put bus lengths on a 350Z. This is not true in most cases, both make similar hp with similar weight, but the STi happens to trap about 1-2mph higher with machines being operated by compentent drivers.
    Just call me Clark Kent

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.