STi vs 350Z - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on STi vs 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Funny how I saw this thread and saw an actual race between these 2 cars today. 2 guys I know ...

Witness

Funny how I saw this thread and saw an actual race between these 2 cars today. 2 guys I know by my house own a Black Z and a White STI. They always rum at each other etc. and finally got the guy in the Z to stop and chat with the STI guy since I was at his pad playing GT4. From a stop, the STI put 1 1/2 jump on the Z and won by at least 3-4 cars.
    From a 40 mile roll, the STI won by about 2 cars. They raced 5 times and same results.

Z Mods- Stillen Exhaust, Intake and lowered
    STI Mods- CatBack Exhaust and Intake ( Downpipe is in the garage)
    Stg. 0
    -380hp & 437lbs-
    No NOS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SRT THIS
    Funny how I saw this thread and saw an actual race between these 2 cars today. 2 guys I know by my house own a Black Z and a White STI. They always rum at each other etc. and finally got the guy in the Z to stop and chat with the STI guy since I was at his pad playing GT4. From a stop, the STI put 1 1/2 jump on the Z and won by at least 3-4 cars.
    From a 40 mile roll, the STI won by about 2 cars. They raced 5 times and same results.

those seem like pretty typical results
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Decent drivers have run high 12's on stock sti's, what are the good drivers running on stock 350's? Wasn't it 13.4 or so? Sounds close to me in terms of performance.

go back to your forum trolly.
    13.4? That is awfully pretentious. They do 14's.

The Z is nowhere near the STi's level. A standard WRX is more of a fair competitor to it.

Quote Originally Posted by 350zboy
    Get a a clue genious! If your going to compare an AWD 4 Cyl boosted Rally car with a RWD 6 cyl NA car then accept that the rolling start. Besides since when is this about skill ? A drivers race just means the cars are close enough in perf. that the driver will make more of a diff. than the car. Get it ?

Seriously, I didnt come to this site to get into these rediculous discussions and frankly I dont care. I came here because I am considering an STI as my second car (for my DD actually). What I dont get is why you guys dont worry more about the EVO's?

Whatever, mine is def. bigger than yours.
    Sorry but I hate when people say that racing from a roll needs skill and that it's not fair to race from a stop against an "awd 4cyl boosted rally car". 1st off the rallying aspect does not even factor into the straight line drag racing we are talking about and 2nd why do a lot of 2wd car owners say racing a rex from a stop is unfair? when you think about it if you race from a dead stop it's an equal race cause the awd does give an advantage off the line but guess what!!!! 2wd is better up top where the awd cars have trouble so in actuallity racing from a roll is pure advantage for the 2wd car. I know some 2wd car owner is gonna say I am biased cause I drive a rex when in fact I haven't bought a rex yet and drive a 2wd car. I also love when people say "I can't race from a stop cause I don't get traction from a stop" shiat the awd guys can say something like "I don't wanna race past 60 cause I don't have great top end acceleration". I am gonna go do the happy dance now .
    Last edited by TheReaper; 03-07-2005 at 01:39 AM.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

This is ridiculous. I have respect for both cars. The whole point that Z drivers are trying to make is that an STi will not win 100% of the time. Yes, STi's have a bit more power and SHOULD win, BUT many factors can come into play during a race. These cars are so close in performance numbers that if the STi makes one tiny mistake, the Z will probably win. Here's an example, the STi's rival is the Evo right?? Are you guys, with stock STi's, telling me that none of you have ever lost to a stock Evo from either a dig or a roll?? I bet someone has.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

agree

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Ditto at Cecil County Dragway, Grudge Night (fri or Sat night after 6 PM). I'll bring the camara. The 350Z owner can name the night, and if work isn't impeding me, I'll be there. Oh..forgot...can I run if I'm modded? You can use DRs.

guys, that's a novel idea but I tried this last fall and NO z's would commit to showing at MIR for a nice friendly show down. Maybe you'll have better luck up at Cecil or up in E-town. There is a test and tune later this month:

http://www.mirdrag.com/schedule/even...-05/050319.htm
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Quote Originally Posted by SRT THIS

this is exactly the kind of data that I would support.....multiple runs and the same result (so no unintentional bias). We just need to have other people do the same thing so that no one can claim that "well that one sti driver was better"......by having a huge group of people doing exactly what these guys did above you can remove any bias of the good vs bad driver. Thanks for hooking us up with this run srtthis!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    This is ridiculous. I have respect for both cars. The whole point that Z drivers are trying to make is that an STi will not win 100% of the time. Yes, STi's have a bit more power and SHOULD win, BUT many factors can come into play during a race. These cars are so close in performance numbers that if the STi makes one tiny mistake, the Z will probably win. Here's an example, the STi's rival is the Evo right?? Are you guys, with stock STi's, telling me that none of you have ever lost to a stock Evo from either a dig or a roll?? I bet someone has.
    Nope...never. Got a few friends with Evo's and they used to hate it when I showed up at the track. They were usually at least a half second behind, and sometimes more. One "tiny" mistake will not make a difference. They are not that close in performance numbers. A stock STi will take a stock 350Z from a roll or from a dig. It would take a fairly major STi driver error to not win. In my experience, it's a good 6-7 cars in the 1/4, and at least 2 cars from any rolling speed. The lower the starting speed, the larger the margin. Can't vouch for top end, but I can say that I've went past a 350Z on the track (summit) at over 120MPH.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I guess what many of us are saying is that we don't believe that they are "so close" in performance. Sure, anything can happen on the street given different drivers but if you just considered the cars I think the sti is a faster car. Stock z's are not running 13.3's or better and from what i've seen on 350z.com most are 13.8+ at best. The evo would definitely be a better measure against an sti because there are a slew of evo's that have run consistently low 13's. I just have not seen any data from z owners where stock z's are running low 13's although there are a few guys on here that have put down high 12's stock in the sti.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Nope...never. Got a few friends with Evo's and they used to hate it when I showed up at the track. They were usually at least a half second behind, and sometimes more. One "tiny" mistake will not make a difference. They are not that close in performance numbers. A stock STi will take a stock 350Z from a roll or from a dig. It would take a fairly major STi driver error to not win. In my experience, it's a good 6-7 cars in the 1/4, and at least 2 cars from any rolling speed. The lower the starting speed, the larger the margin. Can't vouch for top end, but I can say that I've went past a 350Z on the track (summit) at over 120MPH.

Agree with you 100%. All I can say is that if a large group of us get together with those guys and do a number of different runs (vs just one here or there) then I think we can put this thing to bed. Hey, I know I get into heated discussions with some of the guys on both sites about this but the bottom line is I just want to know.....if these guys are right I want to see it for myself....if we are right then I want to be able to know that what we are all saying is in fact true.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleSIG220
    ... A standard WRX is more of a fair competitor to (the Z).
    That's silly -- unless it's 0-60 with a perfect AWD launch or in the mud or snow, the Z owns a standard WRX.

It takes a stage 2 WRX for a driver's race with a Z. The former should take the launch; from about 60 to 95 it should be close; the triple digits should belong to the latter, which also wins with its comfort, looks, and warranty.

Performance: STi > 350Z/stage 2 > WRX

But they're all nice cars.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

I've seen what the STi can do with lots of mods. Does anyone have torque/trap/ET numbers for the 350Z with APS twin turbos?
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

Quote Originally Posted by virpacalis
    I've seen what the STi can do with lots of mods. Does anyone have torque/trap/ET numbers for the 350Z with APS twin turbos?
    The APS is fairly new so you'll probably start to see numbers in the spring. I know of at least two guys with APS TT's but they were both installed during the winter. I can tell you that one of them is pushing 450rwhp with 8psi. I expect those with built engines will add much more boost. I have heard expectations of 600rwhp.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    I guess what many of us are saying is that we don't believe that they are "so close" in performance. Sure, anything can happen on the street given different drivers but if you just considered the cars I think the sti is a faster car. Stock z's are not running 13.3's or better and from what i've seen on 350z.com most are 13.8+ at best. The evo would definitely be a better measure against an sti because there are a slew of evo's that have run consistently low 13's. I just have not seen any data from z owners where stock z's are running low 13's although there are a few guys on here that have put down high 12's stock in the sti.
    Thats fair enough although I dont know where you got the 13.8 number from. Most are running much faster than that (low 13's). I agree though, the EVO's are a better competitor for the STI.

13.4? That is awfully pretentious. They do 14's.
    The Z is nowhere near the STi's level. A standard WRX is more of a fair competitor to it.
    put down the marijuana and stand away from the curb.

A voice of reason ?

"rediculous" .....nice spelling.

If you're dumb enough to misspell a common word like that, you're likely dumb enough to believe your car can beat an STi.
    Please forgive the mispelling. Sheesh. (dumb azz post).

Quote Originally Posted by virpacalis
    One thing most STI owners dont understand is that the Z will not gain much with most bolt on mods. It takes boost see any significant change on the Z. A cat back for instance is good for about 10hp on the Z if that. An intake is useless and can even hurt.

From what I can tell, the STI reacts well to bolt on mods. How much gain can you expect from doing a cat back or other bolt on mods ? (asked as a potential future STI owner)