Subaru WRX Forum banner

STi vs 350Z

11K views 142 replies 28 participants last post by  STiguy 
#1 ·
after reading bunch of threads saying that sti vs z is a driver's race in a rolling start.. i had to run for myself to see if that was true.

so i asked one of my friend to race who had his Z for sometime now...
we decided to start from 30mph...
anyways to make a long story short let me just say that.. STi vs Z is NOT a driver's race. i dont know who came up with that but my STi walked the Z without a problem. i am not a great driver... yet i was still able to beat him easily. by the my mid 4th gear he was at least 3~4 cars behind and i was still pulling.
imagine this from a dig.... its not going to be cars lengths.. but more like bus lengths...

#77 ·
YBNormal07 said:
Nope...never. Got a few friends with Evo's and they used to hate it when I showed up at the track. They were usually at least a half second behind, and sometimes more. One "tiny" mistake will not make a difference. They are not that close in performance numbers. A stock STi will take a stock 350Z from a roll or from a dig. It would take a fairly major STi driver error to not win. In my experience, it's a good 6-7 cars in the 1/4, and at least 2 cars from any rolling speed. The lower the starting speed, the larger the margin. Can't vouch for top end, but I can say that I've went past a 350Z on the track (summit) at over 120MPH.
I think you missed his point though. He is saying that when comparing an evo to an STi in either dig or roll, its a close race. STi SHOULD win, but as fastwrx135 said, one little mistake in the STi and the evo can easily catch up and win. The same goes for the 350Z FROM A ROLL. I am not debating from a dig, STi wins no contest. But from a roll the STi only typically will put about 2 cars a 350Z which means that little mistakes by the STi COULD net a 350Z a win. and I dont doubt that this has happened before.
both cars perform rather similarly as far as numbers go. Weight and WHP is very similar. IF the STi didn't have it's AWD launch it would be a high 13sec car right where the Z is.

why cant we just agree the obvious here instead of playing these BS semantic games??

STi win from dig. Its just a faster car with the AWD launch. STi SHOULD win from a roll as well, but since performance is fairly similar from a roll, little mistakes or factors can play a large enough roll to net a 350Z a win. I dont understand what is so difficult about agreeing on this :rolleyes:

#78 ·
virpacalis said:
That's silly -- unless it's 0-60 with a perfect AWD launch or in the mud or snow, the Z owns a standard WRX.

It takes a stage 2 WRX for a driver's race with a Z. The former should take the launch; from about 60 to 95 it should be close; the triple digits should belong to the latter, which also wins with its comfort, looks, and warranty.

Performance: STi > 350Z/stage 2 > WRX

But they're all nice cars.
+1

#80 ·
DoubleSIG220 said:
13.4? That is awfully pretentious. They do 14's.

The Z is nowhere near the STi's level. A standard WRX is more of a fair competitor to it.
yes 13.4 might be a little "hopeful" from a Z, but only people unexperienced with driving the car get 14's from it. It is easily a 13sec car with a proper driver. anywhere from 13.7-13.9 I would say is what to expect from a good Z driver. There are a few "excellent" drivers that have pulled off 13.5-13.6's though, but that is hardly normal.

#81 ·
350zboy said:
OK OK mid 13's is more realistic :) but low 13's has been done (slicks).
The only TT I've seen got low 12's

OK I am done with the my car is faster than your car thread now....flame on boys.
yeah, as I said, low 13's is just living on hopes and dreams...

but briguymax knocked off a 13.6 completely stock. Granted is a really good driver, but still.

#84 ·
350zboy said:
Putting on potential STI owner hat now ...what are you guys getting (stock) ?
similarly to a wrx, its all in the launch.

A REALLY good driver can pick up times from 12.9-13.1 with traps around 104mph

A good driver will go 13.1-13.3 with traps around 103 or so

A decent/"not bad" driver will go 13.4-13.6 trapping about 102 or so.

anything over 13.6 means the driver needs LOTS of practice. Typically though, I would say your average subaru enthusiest with an STi is putting down times ~ 13.3/13.4 102/103mph

#85 ·
WRXdriver05 said:
So hold on....you're saying a stock 350z is running low 13's????

Show me some proof.
Well that's the problem now isn't it. Apparently stock Zs = drag radials + test pipes + pop charger - because those things make "negligible power/difference". :tongue:

Perhaps a stock STi should = AP stg 1 because hey, it doesn't make a huge difference... :)

#87 ·
DTR rex said:
yes 13.4 might be a little "hopeful" from a Z, but only people unexperienced with driving the car get 14's from it. It is easily a 13sec car with a proper driver. anywhere from 13.7-13.9 I would say is what to expect from a good Z driver. There are a few "excellent" drivers that have pulled off 13.5-13.6's though, but that is hardly normal.
My god I hope I'm not in the 13.6+ range when I go to the strip in April/May. I just have to muster the courage to not bog the launch. I've launched twice just to see what it is like (and holy ****) but I'm so worried about snapping an axle at the strip. I know most people don't but still, always in the back of my mind. :rotfl:

#88 ·
Digitalfiend said:
Well that's the problem now isn't it. Apparently stock Zs = drag radials + test pipes + pop charger - because those things make "negligible power/difference". :tongue:

Perhaps a stock STi should = AP stg 1 because hey, it doesn't make a huge difference... :)
Now dont put words in my mouth wise ass. I said that the intake mod (popcharger) doesnt do anything and I stand by that. Obviously the drag radials make a big difference.

When I piped in to this thread it was in response to someone saying he would take on any Z including a TT. I still say that a TT Z with a built motor and a lot of boost will destroy a modded STI. I guess time will tell.

#89 ·
350zboy said:
Now dont put words in my mouth wise ass. I said that the intake mod (popcharger) doesnt do anything and I stand by that. Obviously the drag radials make a big difference.

When I piped in to this thread it was in response to someone saying he would take on any Z including a TT. I still say that a TT Z with a built motor and a lot of boost will destroy a modded STI. I guess time will tell.
Hey now, be nice, I wasn't referring to you. I've just read too many times, on a lot of forums, where people say: damn I ran xx.x @ xxx mph STOCK (well, just exhaust + tires). Any performance modification means you aren't stock. Period. Granted, peak 10hp here or there might not make a huge difference but if you improve the power/torque curve it will make a difference.

That was all I was getting at. Yes, I believe stock Zs can hit 13.7-13.9 stock and yes I believe with drag radials that will go lower. But for the cost of a set of drag radials, I can go lower too. :tongue: (this is all in fun so don't take it too seriously.)

#90 ·
Digitalfiend said:
Hey now, be nice, I wasn't referring to you. I've just read too many times, on a lot of forums, where people say: damn I ran xx.x @ xxx mph STOCK (well, just exhaust + tires). Any performance modification means you aren't stock. Period. Granted, peak 10hp here or there might not make a huge difference but if you improve the power/torque curve it will make a difference.

That was all I was getting at. Yes, I believe stock Zs can hit 13.7-13.9 stock and yes I believe with drag radials that will go lower. But for the cost of a set of drag radials, I can go lower too. :tongue: (this is all in fun so don't take it too seriously.)

I'm not taking it too seriously. Like I said earlier I dont really care which car is faster though from your times it sounds like the stock STI is a bit faster than the stock Z. But seriously :) the popcharger does not add 1hp. I understand that a modded car is a modded car...but does a shorty antenna count ?

#91 ·
Digitalfiend said:
But then it would also trap higher than the Z and really own it from a roll. The gearing + less drivetrain loss + 300lb-ft should ensure that.

But yes, both are awesome cars and this arguing is funny. :)
this is true, but you are over-analyzing my point. Without the STi's launch its just another high 13sec car. The STi has the trap speed of a high 13sec rwd vehicle but runs low 13's. If the STi lost the awd is would not trap much higher, it would just have a high 13sec pass to match that 105mph trap speed. It would be more linear

#92 ·
DTR rex said:
this is true, but you are over-analyzing my point. Without the STi's launch its just another high 13sec car. The STi has the trap speed of a high 13sec rwd vehicle but runs low 13's. If the STi lost the awd is would not trap much higher, it would just have a high 13sec pass to match that 105mph trap speed. It would be more linear
This is the same logic, a bit differently worded, that the 305Z folks are using. Isn't the whole reason why an STi traps "so low" is due to the AWD. So if you take away the AWD (front axles, front diff, drive components, AWD output), you drop the weight of the AWD, then your trap speeds will go up. Yes?

#93 ·
YBNormal07 said:
This is the same logic, a bit differently worded, that the 305Z folks are using. Isn't the whole reason why an STi traps "so low" is due to the AWD. So if you take away the AWD (front axles, front diff, drive components, AWD output), you drop the weight of the AWD, then your trap speeds will go up. Yes?
Yes, you are right. But how much would it go up?? maybe 1 mph??
You also have to factor in the major traction issues you will have once that AWD is gone. I know traction shouldn't affect trap speeds but it will affect 1/4 mile times. Thus the high 13's-low 14's theory.

#96 ·
fastwrx135 said:
Yes, you are right. But how much would it go up?? maybe 1 mph??
You also have to factor in the major traction issues you will have once that AWD is gone. I know traction shouldn't affect trap speeds but it will affect 1/4 mile times. Thus the high 13's-low 14's theory.

I just gotta chuckle. So which is it? No AWD and high trap speeds but high times, or AWD with low trap speeds and lower times? Can't have it both ways. Reverse the argument. Put AWD on a 350Z. Say it runs stock 13.8 @ 103 (which is generous) with RWD. Now with AWD, it's going to run 12.9 at 102? Don't think so. It's already the same weight as an STi (approximately) trapping roughly the same (although majority is lower) and timing is a at least a half second behind (more like a second behind my own times). It won't gain that half second with AWD, and it certainly will slow down by more than 1 MPH with another 300 or so lbs tossed on. This is once again the "but you have AWD advantage..take it away and see what happens". As previously posted, based on that logic, the 350Z has the RWD advantage for higher speeds, yet it doesn't trap higher. Why is that?

I'm still not sure why I bother with this theory to practice thing, except I guess I'm just a glutton for punishement. We are not bench racing with totally different platforms.

We keep seeing posts of STi drivers taking on and beating 350Z drivers over here, and it's usually by a buslength or 2 if it's from a dig, and a couple of lenghts if it's from a roll. Yet on my350z forum, it's always a half car or a car length that the 350Z wins by. The margins are different, which leads me to believe someone isn't telling the truth. errrrr...I don't know why this bothers me so much. Maybe it's envy of the gorgeous looks of the 350Z, because it does look like it should be a lot faster than it is. I guess it's more the inability to solve anything in an online forum where anything that can be typed is possible.
BTW..had a quick run in with a 350Z in Newark last Fri. From about a 10 mph role, I had about 5 lengths on it just as I shifted into 3rd. Didn't even put it on my kill list for the night. Not even challenging. But hey...I'm modded so it doesn't matter.

#97 ·
I went to the my350z forum to check out the other side of the story, damn this 2 boards are like east west coast rapper. Kind a like (a: you wanna fight? b: ya come on come on. a: i beat the crap out of you. b: #$@!#$ come on. a: come on b: come on................). Pretty funny and entertaining.

#98 · (Edited)
Digitalfiend said:
But then it would also trap higher than the Z and really own it from a roll. The gearing + less drivetrain loss + 300lb-ft should ensure that.

But yes, both are awesome cars and this arguing is funny. :)
+1, I was just about to write that until I saw your post.

YBNormal07 said:
I just gotta chuckle. So which is it? No AWD and high trap speeds but high times, or AWD with low trap speeds and lower times? Can't have it both ways. Reverse the argument. Put AWD on a 350Z. Say it runs stock 13.8 @ 103 (which is generous) with RWD. Now with AWD, it's going to run 12.9 at 102? Don't think so. It's already the same weight as an STi (approximately) trapping roughly the same (although majority is lower) and timing is a at least a half second behind (more like a second behind my own times). It won't gain that half second with AWD, and it certainly will slow down by more than 1 MPH with another 300 or so lbs tossed on. This is once again the "but you have AWD advantage..take it away and see what happens". As previously posted, based on that logic, the 350Z has the RWD advantage for higher speeds, yet it doesn't trap higher. Why is that?

I'm still not sure why I bother with this theory to practice thing, except I guess I'm just a glutton for punishement. We are not bench racing with totally different platforms.

We keep seeing posts of STi drivers taking on and beating 350Z drivers over here, and it's usually by a buslength or 2 if it's from a dig, and a couple of lenghts if it's from a roll. Yet on my350z forum, it's always a half car or a car length that the 350Z wins by. The margins are different, which leads me to believe someone isn't telling the truth. errrrr...I don't know why this bothers me so much. Maybe it's envy of the gorgeous looks of the 350Z, because it does look like it should be a lot faster than it is. I guess it's more the inability to solve anything in an online forum where anything that can be typed is possible.
BTW..had a quick run in with a 350Z in Newark last Fri. From about a 10 mph role, I had about 5 lengths on it just as I shifted into 3rd. Didn't even put it on my kill list for the night. Not even challenging. But hey...I'm modded so it doesn't matter.
Amen brother :wiggles:

#99 ·
Anyone remember that video with the TT 350Z vs. the evo with cai, test pipe, and bov? I believe that's what the evo had maybe one more tiny thing but still not much considering the 350Z put a TT package on. They raced from rolls and the Z barely pulled on the evo, in fact in 2 of the races the evo looked like it was gonna pull on the Z but sadly in those 2 races he misshiftededed. I don't know what the TT setup up gave the Z but regardless it didn't look to be a speed demon.

#101 ·
oh please

enough is enough of this.. The Z is a Peice of s**it! I can say that .. I traded my Track pac Z with test pipes borla exhaust and pop charger for my Sti.. and perfromance wise it just doesn't compare to the STi..even my wife that knows f*uck all about cars always tells me that my Sti is soo much faster than the Z..whatver they look nice but that's about all..
sorry but Nissan doesn't make the fastest cars..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.