sti vs gt stang
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on sti vs gt stang within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I know I know, I should not have picked on him but let me explain. I'm driving around this morning ...

sti vs gt stang

I know I know, I should not have picked on him but let me explain. I'm driving around this morning trying to find a car wash (that works) to wash two weeks worth of snow-guts from my car when this gt mustang comes flying by. I didn't pay any attention to him at first but as I went to make a right into the gas station (that USUALLY) has a car wash he had made the right too and was going inside. I parked and went in and asked about the wash and they said it was broken. I left before he did and pulled back out to the light to make a left onto Rt 7. As fate would have it guess who comes up into the other left turn lane. Yep...with his windows down (even though its like 20 degrees outside), music blaring.........then he starts revving the engine and i'm like "ok"......light turns green and neither of us can really launch because we are both having to swing to make this hard left turn. Soon as we get around the curve we both nail it and its over in half a second.....by the time I was in 4th he was many many many cars back (hard to even tell) but it was ugly. I let off and after awhile he comes flying by with a big grin and mouthing something like "damn that's fast" or something to that effect. We both go our separate ways.
    He was probably just bored and wanted to see how he'd do I guess. Wonder if he'll think twice the next time.........oh yea, and I finally did find a car wash after going to 4 different places.
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are our STi's that much faster than the pre-05 GTs? I always imagined it would be closer. There is a guy on my street that has a done up GT, but sounds and looks stock. We never seem to be going the same way though.

Good to know...
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Are our STi's that much faster than the pre-05 GTs? I always imagined it would be closer. There is a guy on my street that has a done up GT, but sounds and looks stock. We never seem to be going the same way though.

Good to know...
    The thing is, at a light you never really know what someone has under the hood but in this case the car looked and sounded like a gt and the guy provoked the entire thing so I figured that I'd run and if he had a s/c or something under the hood then oh well, he'd take me.......but as for gt's in general, before I moved to va I had a guy I worked with who had an 02 Gt and my sti would kill that car in every single racing situation (dig, 5mph roll, 10, 30, 60, etc).......so when I looked over today and saw this guy revving with a regular GT badging I wanted to see if that chip...or headers...or exhaust..or intake...or whatever he thought he had would make a difference.....it didn't........was a total spanking......I was just out looking for a car wash so he deserved the beating he took. Ironically, I had an 05 GT come up to me about a month ago but the guy would not run....not sure if he was afraid.....old (it was dark out).....thought he was picking on a wrx and noticed the sti badging and backed off.....who knows but he would not go from a 45mph roll.....that would have been a good run because the hp and weights are pretty close and I think the 05 GT actually is putting out more torque so it would have been a run........I bet I see him again sometime around here......

Yep...with his windows down (even though its like 20 degrees outside), music blaring.........then he starts revving the engine and i'm like "ok"......
    Haha that's hilarious!

I just noticed my post said "all done up", when what I meant to say was that he has a body kit and possible an aftermarket exhaust. It looks like a GT, says "Mustang" on the rear bumper, and has these strange looking faux air intakes on the C pillars. I don't know if he's done anything meaningful to it.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Stangs= your friend.
    Good kill though!
    04 Pearl Black STi-
    GT35R...

*88 Mustang Foxbody-
    Not Stock!!=475RWHP

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Get some kneepads and open your mouth

Kind of on topic, I drove an 05 mustang gt 5 spd today and I love the exhaust sound but it seemed to be somewhat slow compared to the STi. Afterwards I took the salesman for a ride and he got out with a huge smile on his face. In the Gt's favor, it was a lot easier to drive than the STi.

Good kill, however..
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

Watch out for modded stangs. Learned good amount of respect on these stangs at the drag races.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX
    Watch out for modded stangs. Learned good amount of respect on these stangs at the drag races.
    that was the thing, he was revving and it sounded stock but you "never" truly know what's lurking under the hood. They have soooooo many aftermarket parts companies putting things out that you just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWRX
    Kind of on topic, I drove an 05 mustang gt 5 spd today and I love the exhaust sound but it seemed to be somewhat slow compared to the STi. Afterwards I took the salesman for a ride and he got out with a huge smile on his face. In the Gt's favor, it was a lot easier to drive than the STi.

Good kill, however..
    so the 05 felt slow compared to your car? Did you get on it hard? I actually really like the new 05's, best mustang ever in my opinion. I have not written in one yet and have only seen a few of them. I would think with the extra torque and equivalent hp you'd feel it pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    so the 05 felt slow compared to your car? Did you get on it hard? I actually really like the new 05's, best mustang ever in my opinion. I have not written in one yet and have only seen a few of them. I would think with the extra torque and equivalent hp you'd feel it pretty good.

Well "slow" is relatively speaking, the car is quite quick and torquey in its own right. Im trying to remain objective because I am a little biased of course, but the difference is noticeable. It seems to throw you off a bit because it is NA but then again the STis have little or no lag so it also feels like a high powered NA car sometimes. I had it in second at 4000 rpms and then wound out second and third at WOT. I thought it was just the smoothness of it at first that was throwing me off but right after the test drive when I asked my gf what she thought, her first words were "hmm it feels kinda slow".
    Right afterwards we all hopped in the STi and did the same thing at the same straightaway, 2nd at 4000 then wound out 2nd and 3rd. From my experience the STi would pull on the GT in all situations..
    Last edited by BrandonWRX; 03-05-2005 at 10:21 AM.
    MY MODS
    *GET YOUR CLUBWRX KEYRING*
    http://clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54791&highlight=keychai n

Thats interesting info. I havent seen a 05 GT on the road yet, seen a few v-6's though, but by the numbers you'd think it would be close with an sti, especially from a roll, but hey magazines always seem a little off to me (and i've heard rumours that alot of companies send *not quite street legal* cars to be tested my the mags. Motor trend recently tested the 05 non-SC Saleen and it ran a 13.5 just like the GT does in the mags, but wouldnt pass CA emissions testing when they tried it and had drag radials when they gave it to the mag to be tested ). By the numbers though they trap similarly, and with the same flywheel horse, you could say the awd drivetrain loss 'should' even the difference with the GT's extra pounds from a roll. But who knows, I'm sure once theres more around (and summer hits since 1/2 the us is covered in snow right now) it should provide some interesting fun

nice kill
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Saleens stage 1 & 2 models are slower than a stock 05 mustang i wouldnt doubt if a wrx could beat a stage 1 saleen since the true horse power stock is below 240hp. Normal stock 05 stang is around 240 hp before you start replacing oem parts ecu flashing.

Quote Originally Posted by 04wrx4keeps
    Thats interesting info. I havent seen a 05 GT on the road yet, seen a few v-6's though, but by the numbers you'd think it would be close with an sti, especially from a roll, but hey magazines always seem a little off to me (and i've heard rumours that alot of companies send *not quite street legal* cars to be tested my the mags. Motor trend recently tested the 05 non-SC Saleen and it ran a 13.5 just like the GT does in the mags, but wouldnt pass CA emissions testing when they tried it and had drag radials when they gave it to the mag to be tested ). By the numbers though they trap similarly, and with the same flywheel horse, you could say the awd drivetrain loss 'should' even the difference with the GT's extra pounds from a roll. But who knows, I'm sure once theres more around (and summer hits since 1/2 the us is covered in snow right now) it should provide some interesting fun

Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti

best ever?!

you clearly havent been in a modded 03' Cobra...
    1994 Talon TSi - SMIC, 16G and Bolt Ons - Awaiting More Fuel and Tune
    2000 B5 GLS 1.8T Every Bolt On + Tuned GT28RS - R.I.P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast