STI playing with mustang

This is a discussion on STI playing with mustang within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Headed home last night, a dude in a pretty clean, late 80's black mustang pulls up next to me and ...

STI playing with mustang

Headed home last night, a dude in a pretty clean, late 80's black mustang pulls up next to me and lurches a few times revving at around 30mph. We were both boxed in, but, he managed to make a few lane changes and get out into open road. I followed right behind him, during each lane change, and then basically stayed glued to his bumper until 80-90, when he kinda shutdown and got into the right lane.

I didn't bother to pass, since we're were already going 80+. Coming up ahead, a red light (yess!!!) but the guy got in the right turn lane (noo!!!). He was sitting there for a few minutes, with a wide open lane between us, and would NOT look over. All I wanted to do was give the guy a thumbs up for this "race", but, he was just stone faced forward. I was certain he'd hit the red with me, considering the fact that he could have got to the exact same place he was going by taking the next right anyway (both turn into the same parking lot).

One thing that was really weird, his exhaust almost smelled like alcohol? It was really sweet smelling, maybe he was running super lean or something... I doubt he was spraying, would figure he'd leave me behind...
    2004 Java Black Pearl STI
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

J-H
    Quote Originally Posted by drfrink24
    One thing that was really weird, his exhaust almost smelled like alcohol? It was really sweet smelling, maybe he was running super lean or something... I doubt he was spraying, would figure he'd leave me behind...
    No cats...but then again, late 80' I am not sure..........if they even had them back then....

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

Well, maybe, but, no cats usually doesn't smell this sweet/alcohol.
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

There are fuel additives that can smell like grape, strawberry, etc... Mostly used with race gas to help keep the eye watering to a minimum.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

I Support ClubWRX
    It was probably race fuel. I heart the smell of race fuel

He must not have been racing then, although, he's the one who started it...

Of course, if he thought he was just gonna pull away on me, and I stayed right there with him, maybe he freaked out and thats why he turned off.
    Shocks... Pegs... Lucky.

i, unfortunately, know what that sweet smell might be... on my old civic i blew the head gasket and i still cant forget that sweeeet smell of burning coolant in my combustion chambers... it was a very sweet naseaus smell.. so that could possibly be it.. or it might be that additive ive herd about that makes your exhaust fumes smell pretty... like bubble gum or sumthing... any1 herd of that b4?