1st kill in the STI w/ temp tags
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1st kill in the STI w/ temp tags within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This will be brief because it is just against a lowsy Z28. But it was my first kill none-the-less with ...

1st kill in the STI w/ temp tags

This will be brief because it is just against a lowsy Z28. But it was my first kill none-the-less with my good old temp-tags still on.

The Z28 was first in line at the stop light with me directly behind him. On green I noticed his tires loosing traction in first gear so I realized what he was doing. So off I went. I really had no intention on racing. Somewhere in 3rd gear I was 1/2 car length a head of him in the opposite lane -- no problem. To my surprise we kept this formation until sometime over 120 when I finally walked him (waving goodbye in the process).

My shifts were just aweful -- no desire to powershift or anything. I have only had the car for about a month and have been very easy on it until well after my first oil change at 1000 miles.

-- Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich
    This will be brief because it is just against a lowsy Z28. But it was my first kill none-the-less with my good old temp-tags still on.

The Z28 was first in line at the stop light with me directly behind him. On green I noticed his tires loosing traction in first gear so I realized what he was doing. So off I went. I really had no intention on racing. Somewhere in 3rd gear I was 1/2 car length a head of him in the opposite lane -- no problem. To my surprise we kept this formation until sometime over 120 when I finally walked him (waving goodbye in the process).

My shifts were just aweful -- no desire to powershift or anything. I have only had the car for about a month and have been very easy on it until well after my first oil change at 1000 miles.

-- Rich
    nice kill
    seems odd, usually a muscle car will take you on the top end

Quote Originally Posted by Mid117
    nice kill
    seems odd, usually a muscle car will take you on the top end
    I could see the STi being pulled by an SS up top, not a Z28
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    I could see the STi being pulled by an SS up top, not a Z28

theres really no significant difference in the car. SS is pretty much a Z28 with an intake lid and different catback.

Bigrich: good run man, but dont get too over-confident with that "lowsey Z28 talk". An LS1 Z28 will run right next to you from a dig and put a significant distance on you from a roll.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

theres really no significant difference in the car. SS is pretty much a Z28 with an intake lid and different catback.

Bigrich: good run man, but dont get too over-confident with that "lowsey Z28 talk". An LS1 Z28 will run right next to you from a dig and put a significant distance on you from a roll.
    You are very correct. I've seen dozens of LS1's dynoed (actually participated in an LS1 dyno day). An SS makes basically the same HP as a base model Z28. What's more important is the model year of the Z28. The 01-02 model Z28's are stronger than the previous years.

But it does seem weird that he started walking away from the guy at 120mph. His LS1 may not have been running very well. A stock LS1 shouldn't have any trouble at all hanging with a stock STi at 120mph.

So your saying a Z28 can stay with a WS6, SS up top. They have 40 more horse
    My friends has Z28. There is no way it can keep up with an SS.

So your saying a Z28 can stay with a WS6, SS up top. They have 40 more horse
    My friends has Z28. There is no way it can keep up with an SS.
    WS-6 tends to be a bit stronger than both SS and Z28, but between SS and Z28 they basically dyno just about the same (when referring to 01-02). Not to mention they run basically the same 1/4mile times with a maybe a "SMALL" edge going to the SS. Dyno difference is not 40hp, its more like 10 tops!
    If your friends Z28 cant keep up with an SS then his car is not strong or he just cant drive.
    or is your friends Z28 an LT1???

owning an SS is all in the name. Its some wheels, a badge, different intake lid, and different catback (only real difference in catback is the tips).
    Just call me Clark Kent

WS-6 tends to be a bit stronger than both SS and Z28, but between SS and Z28 they basically dyno just about the same (when referring to 01-02). Not to mention they run basically the same 1/4mile times with a maybe a "SMALL" edge going to the SS. Dyno difference is not 40hp, its more like 10 tops!
    If your friends Z28 cant keep up with an SS then his car is not strong or he just cant drive.
    or is your friends Z28 an LT1???
    Its a 97. I think its an LS1? Not to good with chevy.

Its a 97. I think its an LS1? Not to good with chevy.
    Thats why. 97' used the LT1 engine. Its dyno's about 40 or more whp less than the LS1. LS1 dyno's higher, has a better powerband, better topend, and way more torque early on.

Yes, a 97' Z28 will get walked hard by an SS, but the 98'-02' Z28 would walk your friends camaro just as hard.
    93-97 used the LT1 engine. as I said the LS1 dyno's over 40whp more and runs the 1/4 in more than half a second faster.
    Just call me Clark Kent

See now thats why I love this forum. We all learn things

nice kill
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

hehehe, twice I've ran into this kid in a Z28. First time I was sitting at a red light, he was turning right with the green light, saw my wrx, and decided to show off for some reason. He sped off and hit every green light and I hit every red light. Figures.

Just the other day, he was in front of me at the red light, light turned green, he noticed I was behind him, and of course, floored it. I stayed right on his bumper the whole time, and had to back off twice because I was too close to his bumper. I could have turned to the left lane and easily passed him, but wasn't sure of a car there or not. I ended up behind him at the next red light, and I know he saw me laughing and laughing at him. He made the next exit onto the highway, I didn't, and he let me know I was number one! lol

Oh yeah, bone stock '03 sedan.

I've raced both an LS1 Z28 with full exhaust and a stock C5 LS1 and it was hard to tell the difference in their power levels. So I would imagine an LS1 SS isn't that much quicker than a Z28. Both times I pulled a car with an extra passenger from 10 mph roll-ons. My STi isn't stock of course. My friends LT1 SS ('96) with headers/full exhaust/intake/pulley makes him a little stronger than a stock LS1 SS.... so like someone already mentioned there is a huge difference between LT1 and LS1. Watch out for the ones who spray though, they are killers.

I ran across a website a while ago that had just about any car you could ever image listed along with its respective performance specs (0-60, 1/4 mile time, etc...). Does anyone have that URL?

-- Rich

hmm I ran into a z28 on a stop sign, i got on his ass and and stayed there hoping he would get the point, indeed he did and black puff of smoke blew from his tailpipes and to his surprise i was still on his ass so he punched it some more(another puff of black smoke) and so did I, he was just not getting away from me at all. I don't know anything about what they have and what year it was but it was definatley a z28 and they aren't that impressive. At the next light i got next to him and proceeded to launch and he didn't bite then so I just kept on going, oh well i think he got scared lol. Once before that I ran a silver z28 and was able to beat him to 80 mph before having to stop, and the driver told me that it was one of the V6, but as I later learned they didn't make v6 in them. Anyways don't flame me but I am clueless about american muscle cars and I do not care, I just like to put the smack down on them (once in a while).
    Last edited by subaru_crazy; 02-28-2005 at 12:58 PM.
    MY LUG NUTS NEED MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES!!!!

Cobb Stg 2 helix up/dp combo
    Kartboy short shifter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast