Stg2 WRX vs. 350Z
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stg2 WRX vs. 350Z within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Well, this quick little run really got me pissed off. I'm on my way to work this morning and I ...

Stg2 WRX vs. 350Z

Well, this quick little run really got me pissed off. I'm on my way to work this morning and I pass up a 350z and so he decides to get behind me and start following. Well, it's almost pointless because we're in morning traffic but we both end up going towards the toll-road, which is usually pretty empty.

Finally an opening appears right befor a mild sweeping turn onto the toll-road. I punch it from about 60mph and jump out to a good little lead, maybe put another car or two between us going into the turn... I think he was probably not quite ready. I let up in the turn a little going about 80mph and he caught some ground. Stupid me, I miss 4th gear (i know, i know) and he shoots by me and starts zig-zagin through traffic. By the time I get it gear he's pretty much gone... I was honestly surprised how fast he shot by me. What ticked me off even more is that he put his hazards on! What an ass!

First off, I need to learn how to drive but I am curious, how close would a highway race be if I could've driven well? I figure the 350z would probably end up walking away but could a cobb stage2 wrx hang with it for a while? It did seem that I was holding him off decently until I mis-shifted. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find another Z to play with... I only see about 50 of them a day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX
    depends on if he had any mods and if it was auto or stick. I'm guessing he would've pulled slowly on you at those speeds if you hadn't missed teh gear.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

J-H
    I am COBB 2 + uppipe and I SLOWLY pulled one from 60-100.....we were on it. I chatted with the guy later and he complimented me on the fast ride that I had.....I replied saying that the Z is very nice, but too expensive for me to afford...that boosted, no pun intended, his ego.....

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

I noticed that you're in SoCal, were you using the Cali stage 2 map? Did you have an uppipe?

Quote Originally Posted by 03WREX

First off, I need to learn how to drive but I am curious, how close would a highway race be if I could've driven well? I figure the 350z would probably end up walking away but could a cobb stage2 wrx hang with it for a while? It did seem that I was holding him off decently until I mis-shifted. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find another Z to play with... I only see about 50 of them a day.

Its generally a pretty close race at rolling speeds. In a nut shell, the faster you go, the faster the Z will get. Lets just assume you are racing a Z that is well or decently driven in 6mt form. In lower speeds its going to be really close, but in a situation like the one you just had, starting at 60mph or so, the Z should end up walking by you by a couple cars. It wouldn't be a huge amount or anything, but generally the car traps about 2-3mph or more over a stageII wrx. This is going to give it the advantage once you get into the 80+mph zone.
    the trans makes a big difference though it seems. When I was turboback+uppipe+mbc I put about 2-3 cars on a buddies auto Z from 45-100.... but I also had an encounter with a 6mt track edition from 65-110 or so and he put just a little over a car on me. This guy had a catback though.
    Last edited by DTR rex; 02-25-2005 at 01:03 PM.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I'm not on the Cobb Cali map because I haven't noticed/heard any audible ping but I guess for safety I should probably switch. I also have an up-pipe, not that it makes a huge difference.

I must admit that highway races are pretty tough for the wrx. It's kinda strange though, I've hung with an M3 from about 60mph to 90mph but I got the jump. I've also raced my brother's S2000 from a roll and murdered him when we started at about 50mph but when we went from 65mph he ended up pulling on me. I guess the race will vary quite a bit depending on what speed the race starts from.

Quote Originally Posted by 03WREX
    I'm not on the Cobb Cali map because I haven't noticed/heard any audible ping but I guess for safety I should probably switch. I also have an up-pipe, not that it makes a huge difference.

I must admit that highway races are pretty tough for the wrx. It's kinda strange though, I've hung with an M3 from about 60mph to 90mph but I got the jump. I've also raced my brother's S2000 from a roll and murdered him when we started at about 50mph but when we went from 65mph he ended up pulling on me. I guess the race will vary quite a bit depending on what speed the race starts from.
    the way you describe your races.. (winning when you jump) and losing when it's an equal start...makes it seem like you just downshift and take off on people that aren't ready.....

I'm sure the race with the Z would have been pretty close if you started at the same time and didn't miss a gear...anything over 100 and the Z probably would have won tho....

350z = slug
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Putting on those hazards show you what a no class **** you were dealing with.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

Quote Originally Posted by STiguy
    350z = slug
    I wouldn't go that far.

high 13's and 100mph+ traps from an n/a V6 is not bad IMO.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DIE DIE
    the way you describe your races.. (winning when you jump) and losing when it's an equal start...makes it seem like you just downshift and take off on people that aren't ready.....

I'm sure the race with the Z would have been pretty close if you started at the same time and didn't miss a gear...anything over 100 and the Z probably would have won tho....
    Well, honestly it's tough to get a clean race from people that you don't know. Most the people on the road have no idea what a "fair" race is. I usually try to slow down to about 60ish and see if they'll roll up next to me but half the time they just end up shooting by me and don't slow back down.

This particular race, the Z kept zooming and weaving through traffic behind me and when he finally got behind me I knew he would play... so I slowed down to about 60 with him behind me and then I took off knowing he'd follow... and sure enough he did. Anyways, if we had a clean race I'm sure he'd still pull on me but I was just curious how close it would be from about 60mph.

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I wouldn't go that far.

Just pissing off the 350z trolls
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

Quote Originally Posted by STiguy
    Just pissing off the 350z trolls
    There are no 350z trolls on here.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    I wouldn't go that far.

+1
    350Z are not slow at all. they beat WRXs in 1/4mile. add a charger and forget about it. sometimes i think having a beastly V6 is better than an overpowered 4-cyl for the main fact that u can put on a charger and blow the competition.

i still want my subie, but people shouldnt be bashing the 350Z its a nice and quick ride, tho i would never buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderpaint2004
    +1
    350Z are not slow at all. they beat WRXs in 1/4mile. add a charger and forget about it. sometimes i think having a beastly V6 is better than an overpowered 4-cyl for the main fact that u can put on a charger and blow the competition.

i still want my subie, but people shouldnt be bashing the 350Z its a nice and quick ride, tho i would never buy one.
    I often miss the torque and displacement of my Maxima. Turbo's are great and all, but sometimes an N/A 6 or 8 just feels so nice!

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    There are no 350z trolls on here.
    not neccesarily trolls, but there have been a couple 350z guys around here calling people out.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast