05 GTO vs STi - comparison
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 GTO vs STi - comparison within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I thought I would share my feeling about my 05 GTO. Interior The GTO's interior is excellent. Its a definate ...

05 GTO vs STi - comparison

I thought I would share my feeling about my 05 GTO.

Interior
    The GTO's interior is excellent. Its a definate improvement over the STi. Even my mom likes the interior and she is hard to please. The leather seats are extremely supportive and comfortable. Much more so than in the STi. The ride quality is very nice. The car just cruises over bumps and rides very smooth. The car is a lot more comfortable to drive.

The handling
    The car handles really well. It holds a turn very well and the stearing feels tight. I was actually very suprised with its handling. It's no STi but it handles really well. My STi was the best handling car I've ever had. Its going to be hard to match its handling. The GTO is more of a high speed top end monster. I don't see myself getting into a handling contest with an EVO or STi. That wouldn't be too smart.

The power
    The car makes a ton of power on the top end. Above 70mph the car pulls extremely hard. It will definately leave a stock STi in the dust above 70mph.
    Below 70mph is a different story. The car (I'm sure because of its weight) doesn't feel real fast down low. Don't get me wrong its very fast, but It didn't seem to be any faster than my stock STi. My STi may actually pull harder down low (I think its the gearing)

I would guess that a stock STi would most likely beat my GTO to 60mph. Then I would slowly but surely catch it and pass it around 80mph. Then I would just keep pulling. Above 100mph the GTO would pull away hard. The car just pulls like crazy on the top end.

Negatives
    The shifter in the GTO is a little sloppy. The shifts are pretty long and take some time. The car shifts extremely smooth but the throws are long.

Getting off the line fast.
    It takes some tricky footwork to leave the line fast. Its going to take me sometime to get used to it. Too much rpm and you will just break the tires loose. The traction control really helps stop wheel spin but slows the car down considerably. So to haul butt traction control needs to be turned off. I will miss the way I could just dump the clutch and floor the gas in my STi.

So overall I really love the car. I also really miss my STi. Both cars are great. One car is better at some things and the other car is better at other things.

I let you guys know when I get it to the track or make my first kill.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 02-21-2005 at 11:34 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice write up. You didn't mention the handling though. How do you feel the two compare in that regard?
    2005 Aspen White STi

1) w00t for 1000 posts on your part

2) w00t on a 400hp GTO

3) w00t for you getting off your ass and putting on headers, intake, and catback

- Glad you finally got it. I am really impressed with the GTO. Although I expect more performance from a 400hp car, its till rather fast and has a VERY suprisingly nice interior. A guy at my college has one with headers, intake, and catback. The thing sounds amazing, but backfires like a mofo. He has not tracked it yet, but says from what he reads and cars he has raced and beaten he is confident in running mid 12's or better at 110+ traps
    good luck with the car, and add a handling aspect to that write up
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

I really like the new GTO. For 34,000 its a great deal. Beautiful interior. STi's and Evo's are stoplight warriors. The GTO is a highway car. I think the 05 six speed traps around 108mph vs our cars around 102. So from a roll you would pull on by. I mean if i had to sell my Evo, my next car might be a GTO.

You should change your license plates to M3KILA Just a thought.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Nice write up. You didn't mention the handling though. How do you feel the two compare in that regard?
    Oh yes, I forgot.
    The car actually handles really well. The stearing is tight and the car hold a corner really well. You just need to be careful about giving it too much gas in a corner. It will definately break the back end loose if your not careful.

But its no STi. My STi would leave it in the dust on a tight course. My STi handled like a go cart. It would be pretty hard to match the handling of the STi.

But what is so fun about the GTO is letting the tail wag. I turned off the Traction control and nailed the gas in 1st gear. I roasted the tires and got the car sideways. I then shifted into second gear and continued to roast the tires all the way down the street. Man, it was fun. The car is a total animal if you dump the clutch at 3000 rpms. It will roast the tires like nobodies business.

How is the space for rear passangers compare to the STI? Does the car get through rain/snow very well?
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by AsianWRX
    How is the space for rear passangers compare to the STI? Does the car get through rain/snow very well?
    well I dont drive one and can tell you that it does not do well in snow. plus hes in FL so I doubt he would know.

I have heard they are not bad in rain though. Atleast, they are pretty good for a RWD muscle car due to a nice TC setup
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianWRX
    The back seats are excellent. Its not a bench but 2 seperate seats with a lot of support. An average person can fit back there really well. But its a bixch to get back there ( only 2 doors) So you have to lean the front seat forward and climb in. Not something a 6'3'' adult really wants to do. There is more than enough room for kids or ladies. But the leg room will be a little short for a tall adult (6' +) But it definatly has the same if not more leg room in the rear than my STi.

Up front you have tons of leg room. The seats are also 8 way electonic adjustable. You can adjust up/down//forward/backward,lean, tilt,etc. Very nice

Oh, rain and snow. I would not want to drive this car in the snow. It does have very nice Traction control. It works seemlessly. I'm sure with some good snow tires you could drive it in the snow. But I wouldn't want to.

No problems in the rain. Just make sure you have the traction control on.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 02-21-2005 at 01:29 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice write-up! What kind of gas mileage are you getting?

I can't wait to match up against the new 400 HP GTO. I went from a roll and a dig against a 350 HP version. From a dig, he never could catch me, even up to 130.

From a roll, starting at 60, he barely started creeping past me at around 120. That was when I was stock, so it would be pretty intersting now. Let us know what kind of numbers you get when you run it. Any plans on road-course racing yet?
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    1) w00t for 1000 posts on your part
    w00t for 6000 posts on your part

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice write up. I am very impressed with the 05 GTO as well. I had one come screaming by one morning on the way to work, and boy did it sound mean. I would definately put the GTO in my "wanted" cars list.

i probably overlooked the thread... but why did you sell your sti in the first place?

Great write-up, enjoy your beast.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Padge
    i probably overlooked the thread... but why did you sell your sti in the first place?

Great write-up, enjoy your beast.

I will answer a couple questions

First - the way I drive (punching it every chance I get) I'm getting 13mph. But on the highway in 6th gear I got 26mph.

I sold my STi because I wanted a different experience. I drove a WRX for 2 years and then an STi for 1 1/2 years. I loved both cars but I wanted something different. I missed driving a rear drive naturally aspirated vehicle. I also wanted something that would be more comfortable on long drives on the highway.

I can't tell you how much of a blast it is driving the GTO. It is so different. I can't get enough of it. Every chance I get I'm behind the wheel. I hate to say it but I didn't feel the same way after purchasing my STi. There's just something about it that makes it fun to drive.

The car feels much more powerful than my STi (even though its really not any faster). It has so much torque down low. I can drive around at below 3000 rpms and the car still feels powerful and fast. (the opposite of what a WRX/STI is like). It also fun running 1st gear all the way to 49mph!!. You can also run 3rd gear all the way to 100mph! So you don't have to be shifting every second like an STi.

So there's a lot of reasons I made the switch.

I really loved my STi. But it was time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX

First - the way I drive (punching it every chance I get) I'm getting 13mph. But on the highway in 6th gear I got 26mph.

I sold my STi because I wanted a different experience. I drove a WRX for 2 years and then an STi for 1 1/2 years. I loved both cars but I wanted something different. I missed driving a rear drive naturally aspirated vehicle. I also wanted something that would be more comfortable on long drives on the highway.

I can't tell you how much of a blast it is driving the GTO. It is so different. I can't get enough of it. Every chance I get I'm behind the wheel. I hate to say it but I didn't feel the same way after purchasing my STi. There's just something about it that makes it fun to drive.

The car feels much more powerful than my STi (even though its really not any faster). It has so much torque down low. I can drive around at below 3000 rpms and the car still feels powerful and fast. (the opposite of what a WRX/STI is like). It also fun running 1st gear all the way to 49mph!!. You can also run 3rd gear all the way to 100mph! So you don't have to be shifting every second like an STi.

I'm glad your happy. Thats all that counts. I will be sure not to run you from a roll
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX

ah man....and I used to love your kill stories.......you traitor (just kidding), glad you like your new ride. I haven't found anything that I've wanted to trade my sti in for yet (well, outside a CL65, if I hit that 96 mil mega millions I'll write up a nice review). I know my wife wishes I would move to something "wingless" but for now I still enjoy driving my sti. :-)
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast