05 GTO vs STi - comparison - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

This is a discussion on 05 GTO vs STi - comparison within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; how much cash did it set you back?...

  1. #16
    Registered User Silver04Sti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    509

    pricing?

    how much cash did it set you back?
    Volvo S60 R (as of July 05)

    Formerly ka: BlackWrx
    SOLD 7/05----04 Silver STI
    SOLD: 02 black sedan, Lots of mods

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Digitalfiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    343
    I think the only thing that would replace my STi right now would be a C6 Z06, but alas that's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

    Still, the GTO looks like a really fun car. It will be interesting to hear how it holds up in the reliability department.
    2005 Aspen White STi

  4. #18
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver04Sti
    how much cash did it set you back?
    I paid $31k
    I got a pretty significant discount because the car was used for Emission Testing and had
    700 mile on it.

    In my area (South West Florida) the cheapest they would sell me a 05 GTO is $33,600.00 . In other parts of the county I believe they are selling for about 32k.

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    457
    Have you timed it in the quarter yet? Motor Trend got a 13.3@107 mph which seems very slow for a 400 hp car.

  6. #20
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by mball
    Have you timed it in the quarter yet? Motor Trend got a 13.3@107 mph which seems very slow for a 400 hp car.
    Don't forget the car weighs just over 3700 lbs. But it still has a power to weight ratio of
    9.5 lbs per hp (which is basically the same as an 03 Cobra)
    A spoke to a fellow 05 GTO owner that ran an 03 Cobra and went 2-1 against him drag racing from a dig.

    I haven't run mine yet. I still trying to get a feeling for the car. But 13.3 @ 107 seems realistic (thats what the average person should run). Pontiac's testing got 13.0 @ 108 mph out of the Automatic and 13.1 @ 108 mph out of the 6 speed. The automatic is suppose to be slightly faster 0-60mph.

    One of the reasons guys aren't running as fast as they should or could is the crappy 245/45/17 BFG tires (they have a mud and snow tread ). They are rock hard with a tread wear of 400. I can literally smoke them all the way down the street if I want. On the street I launch at about 1500 rpms! Thats it. Any more rpm than that and the tires will just roast off the line.

    So a set of drag radials or better tires should put the car easily in the 12s.

  7. #21
    Registered User STIaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    118
    Nice to finally see a good peice of american muscle....back! When you said it really pulls on the top end it remind me of my 65 Chevy with a built 327. I have a Victor Jr. intake on it and that thing screams up to about 7K. It doesn't drive anything like my Rex but it is sure fun to still drive too.

    Well that is nothing compared to your little GTO. Keep us posted I would really like to see how it traps with some better wheels. Congrats

  8. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Don't forget the car weighs just over 3700 lbs. But it still has a power to weight ratio of
    9.5 lbs per hp (which is basically the same as an 03 Cobra)
    A spoke to a fellow 05 GTO owner that ran an 03 Cobra and went 2-1 against him drag racing from a dig.

    I haven't run mine yet. I still trying to get a feeling for the car. But 13.3 @ 107 seems realistic (thats what the average person should run). Pontiac's testing got 13.0 @ 108 mph out of the Automatic and 13.1 @ 108 mph out of the 6 speed. The automatic is suppose to be slightly faster 0-60mph.

    One of the reasons guys aren't running as fast as they should or could is the crappy 245/45/17 BFG tires (they have a mud and snow tread ). They are rock hard with a tread wear of 400. I can literally smoke them all the way down the street if I want. On the street I launch at about 1500 rpms! Thats it. Any more rpm than that and the tires will just roast off the line.

    So a set of drag radials or better tires should put the car easily in the 12s.
    From what I've heard, a properly driven '03 Cobra should handle a properly driven '05 GTO. Obviously, getting two cars with equal drivers is nearly impossible, and I'm sure you'll come back with a handfull of Cobra kills, but the fact is you won't find any '05 GTO's in the 12s. At least from what I've seen.

    I do think its a killer car though. I think the aesthetic differences vs. the '04s are great and the power bump was increadible. I'd love to have one in my garage for sure.
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

  9. #23
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    From what I've heard, a properly driven '03 Cobra should handle a properly driven '05 GTO. Obviously, getting two cars with equal drivers is nearly impossible, and I'm sure you'll come back with a handfull of Cobra kills, but the fact is you won't find any '05 GTO's in the 12s. At least from what I've seen.

    I do think its a killer car though. I think the aesthetic differences vs. the '04s are great and the power bump was increadible. I'd love to have one in my garage for sure.

    I guarantee there will be stock 05 GTO running 12s (just wait - I'm pretty sure I'll be one of them). There are a few guys that have pulled 13.1 - 13.4 in bone stock 04 GTO (even though this is a lot faster than average).
    SLP ran 13.1 in a bone stock 04 GTO (burning up the clutch in the process). As soon as they test the 05 they will surely get it down in the 12s. The 05 is considerably faster than the 04.

    In my area of the country the 05 GTO just arrived and most the GTO owners I've talked to haven't run their car at the track yet. Its going to take a little time.

    There is also a couple reports of "official" 12.9s in bone stock 05 GTO's.

    But low to mid 13s will be the norm. Like I mentioned the GTO has way to much hp for those crappy 245 series rear tires. Its going to take a really sticky track and excellent launching technique to get the car to run 12s on the stock rubber. But it will definately be done by a decent size group of owners.

    I will admit the 03/04 Cobra will most likely have an edge on the 05 GTO. The Cobra is really making more than its claimed 390hp. Also being supercharged it is more likey to have substantial difference between vehicles (some being a lot stronger than others).
    The Cobra also runs on 275 series Goodyears that are 100% better than the GTO tires. If the GTO came with 275 series Goodyear, you would hear about a lot more 12 sec runs.

    But time will tell. Just wait a few month and lets see. In most parts of the country the tracks aren't even open.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 03-01-2005 at 05:37 PM.

  10. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    766
    Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    I guarantee there will be stock 05 GTO running 12s (just wait - I'm pretty sure I'll be one of them). There are a few guys that have pulled 13.1 - 13.4 in bone stock 04 GTO (even though this is a lot faster than average).
    SLP ran 13.1 in a bone stock 04 GTO (burning up the clutch in the process). As soon as they test the 05 they will surely get it down in the 12s. The 05 is considerably faster than the 04.

    In my area of the country the 05 GTO just arrived and most the GTO owners I've talked to haven't run their car at the track yet. Its going to take a little time.

    There is also a couple reports of "official" 12.9s in bone stock 05 GTO's.

    But low to mid 13s will be the norm. Like I mentioned the GTO has way to much hp for those crappy 245 series rear tires. Its going to take a really sticky track and excellent launching technique to get the car to run 12s on the stock rubber. But it will definately be done by a decent size group of owners.

    I will admit the 03/04 Cobra will most likely have an edge on the 05 GTO. The Cobra is really making more than its claimed 390hp. Also being supercharged it is more likey to have substantial difference between vehicles (some being a lot stronger than others).
    The Cobra also runs on 275 series Goodyears that are 100% better than the GTO tires. If the GTO came with 275 series Goodyear, you would hear about a lot more 12 sec runs.

    But time will tell. Just wait a few month and lets see. In most parts of the country the tracks aren't even open.
    I guess time will tell. I hope you get it into the 12s for sure because it is one potent beast. Like I said, I'd love to have one in my garage, but unfortunately, in Indiana you need a backup car for those days when it snows and I can't do that right now

    I guess my "research" was severely skewed by the source -which happened to be SVTForums.com - they don't much like the GTO, nor do they respect it. They are bashing it all over the place saying it won't be a challenge. When I delved deeper into the debate and got some perspective from some GTO owners, I found out more and it pointed to the assertions that you've made - that '04s have hit low 13s on occassion and the '05s could hit 12s possibly given the right circumstances. And the GTO owners also pointed out the tire problems. I'm sure with some stickies, you will see 12s considering your driving prowess.

    Good luck and have fun with the car. BTW, why aren't tracks open in FL all year round? You guys get good weather all the time
    2005 NBP Accord EX-V6 6MT
    AEM CAI, HFP aerokit, Comptech SS
    17" Enkei RS7s on YokoES100 tires

  11. #25
    Registered User SGOSWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    I guess time will tell. I hope you get it into the 12s for sure because it is one potent beast. Like I said, I'd love to have one in my garage, but unfortunately, in Indiana you need a backup car for those days when it snows and I can't do that right now

    I guess my "research" was severely skewed by the source -which happened to be SVTForums.com - they don't much like the GTO, nor do they respect it. They are bashing it all over the place saying it won't be a challenge. When I delved deeper into the debate and got some perspective from some GTO owners, I found out more and it pointed to the assertions that you've made - that '04s have hit low 13s on occassion and the '05s could hit 12s possibly given the right circumstances. And the GTO owners also pointed out the tire problems. I'm sure with some stickies, you will see 12s considering your driving prowess.

    Good luck and have fun with the car. BTW, why aren't tracks open in FL all year round? You guys get good weather all the time

    Our tracks are open down here. Last weekend they had a big Chevy Event at the track. It ended up raining like crazy. This weekend I hope to go to the track if I don't have too much work to do and the weather cooperates. Its also a 250 mile round trip for me to the nearest track which is Bradenton Motorsports Park. ( which sucks having to drive that far) The following weekend they are having a big Ford National Event. So I may have to wait until March 26s for my next chance to go to the track.
    There' s always the 1/8 mile track about 20mile from my house. I use to go there on Friday nights in my WRX and STi. But I'm really not that interested to take the GTO. My GTO needs the full 1/4 mile, if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by SGOSWRX; 03-03-2005 at 06:49 AM.

  12. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Philadelphia
    Posts
    96
    I'm in the same position. I drove an 06 GTO and an 06 STI on the same day, and came out more in love with the GTO myself. I love that feeling of 400bhp at your right foot, willing to break away at any time. The LS2 GTO will wag its tail during a hard shift into 3rd gear, and that's just an amazing proposition. Ideally, I'd want both cars, but I can only afford the one. I'm torn.

    As far as the 03 Cobra vs. 05 GTO, the GTO will definitely outhandle it. Drag racing isn't exactly my idea of fun, but in a straight out drag, I've seen GTOs get to 60 in 4 and a half seconds, but the Cobra would have an advantage in a quarter mile, since it is supercharged, and doesn't really start to bleed power until 4th gear or so. NA engines have that disadvantage--of course each type of induction has its own advantages and disadvantages (I'm partial to turbochargers myself, though the always-on power of superchargers is quite interesting indeed).
    Last edited by Raza; 01-29-2006 at 10:41 AM.

  13. #27
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,936
    Yep the GTO's a bad machine. . . Some people say it looks to bland, they obviously haven't driven one.

    Only downside I found with the GTO was that it had a tiny trunk with huge doors.

  14. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Philadelphia
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    Yep the GTO's a bad machine. . . Some people say it looks to bland, they obviously haven't driven one.

    Only downside I found with the GTO was that it had a tiny trunk with huge doors.
    Well, you'll find big doors in most 2+2 coupes, and the trunk is bearable--of course I had seriously considered owning a Lotus Elise as my only car--so practicality is not of any concern to me.

    If you do ever get a chance to drive an Elise do so. It's the most amazing visceral experience I've ever had (last time I put it to a count, I'd driven somewhere around 50 cars, many of them were performance models)--I thought the Porsche Boxster S was fun, but the Elise is leagues away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •