Elude This!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Elude This! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; That's what his license plate said, ELUD THS. I might fool around a bit on the open road but I ...

Elude This!

That's what his license plate said, ELUD THS.

I might fool around a bit on the open road but I never street race. I haven't done a real drag race for more than thirty years.

The black Prelude with the license plate and a somewhat ricey body kit was pulling out of the parking lot today just ahead of me. At the end of the access road, the right turn gives you about 2 miles of perfect road; no access and a long straight ending in a sweeping left turn with a stop light.

He was in front by a couple of cars and I was in second gear when we got to the yield at the main road. I suppose the license plate kind of inspired me. But when we hit the main road off of the access lane, he hit it hard. I was in second and well out of boost. He took about a four or five car lead.

Until the boost hit, he was still pulling. But not for long.

The roads were wet because its been raining (the kumhos did their thing well) so I didn't look at any of the tach and focused all my attention on the road. But as soon as I got into the boost, I started to close on him. Fast!

He stayed on the throttle and his exhaust was screaming, but I still reeled him in. When we got up to about 80 or 90 (I'm guessing), the tables were turned and I briskly walked him.

When we got to the traffic light, he turned right and didn't even look at me.

Now, I'm kind of embarrassed for racing (compounded by this post) but happy to have had the chance to try out the wagon. I expect to be flamed for running a prelude, but he had a big jump on me and I felt it was more than fair.

We old guys get so excited by this stuff!!

misterx
    Last edited by MisterX; 09-16-2002 at 09:59 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Elude This!

Originally posted by MisterX
    That's what his license plate said, ELUD THS.

I might fool around a bit on the open road but I never street race. I haven't done a real drag race for more than thirty years.

The black Prelude with the license plate and a somewhat ricey body kit was pulling out of the parking lot today just ahead of me. At the end of the access road, the right turn gives you about 2 miles of perfect road; no access and a long straight ending in a sweeping left turn with a stop light.

He was in front by a couple of cars and I was in second gear when we got to the yield at the main road. I suppose the license plate kind of inspired me. But when we hit the main road off of the access lane, he hit it hard. I was in second and well out of boost. He took about a four or five car lead.

Until the boost hit, he was still pulling. But not for long.

The roads were wet because its been raining (the kumhos did their thing well) so I didn't look at any of the tach and focused all my attention on the road. But as soon as I got into the boost, I started to close on him. Fast!

He stayed on the throttle and his exhaust was screaming, but I still reeled him in. When we got up to about 80 or 90 (I'm guessing), the tables were turned and I briskly walked him walked him.

When we got to the traffic light, he turned right and didn't even look at me.

Now, I'm kind of embarrassed for racing (compounded by this post) but happy to have had the chance to try out the wagon. I expect to be flamed for running a prelude, but he had a big jump on me and I felt it was more than fair.

We old guys get so excited by this stuff!!

misterx
    BRAVO BRAVO!! and another one bites the dust! I hate when people don't acknowledge someone in a race if they lost or won.
    -Ben-
    Spark it or Park it!

Did you have the new Kumhos on while on that wet road? How'd they do compared to your KDWs?

The Kumhos were great! Much better than the KDWs. And Iv'e got my handling problems all sorted out so the car is now a pleasure to drive. Even on wet roads and at high speeds.

I know how you feel about street racing, Bedabi. This was a four lane (2 lanes north, 2 south with a divider and no side roads for access) rural road with no traffic. I'd hate to inspire others to the same behavior, but I found this guy to be irresistable.

misterx

I know how you feel about street racing, Bedabi.
    No judgement. I was on the highway yesterday during a rainstorm with my own Rota Attacks and Kumho 712s - solid!

Why do people quote the whole post? There is no need, it just takes us space.
    '90 MTX White Taurus SHO
    Soon to be installed:
    Cold Air Induction Snorkel
    80mm Pro Flow MAF
    69mm Throttle Body
    Hand Ported and Polished Intake Runners
    40mm Big bore butterflies
    Hi-Flow Y-pipe w/cats
    Lifetime Performance Module

"I just wish someone would call me 'sir'... without adding 'you're making a scene'". -Homer Simpson

I didn't mind reading it again.

misterx

I didn't mind reading it again.

misterx
    LOL!!!

Nice kill, and I'm glad you were sensible enough to keep it as "safe" as you could.
    All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand. - Steven Wright

Moderator, of the "Super" persuasion

nice kill street racing is dangerous but the kind you did was very sensible atleast if someone got hurt it would of only been you 2 and not innocent motorists. nice job and great kill
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Bravo! I agree that you minimized risk in a dangerous situation... Something I have done many times in the past. Nice kill!
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

MisterX, you have a pm
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

hehe the ludes have serious traction issues in the wet
    Good ol AWD hey!!
    I know I do I think the first thing I want to do to my car is get an LSD. I'd say if it was dry he would have kept his lead unless you're modded as the ludes once they're rolling do pull hard
    I'm not calling BS or anything. Good Kill

Thumbs up

Nice work, MisterX. Older doesn't always = slower.
    Old, but not slow.

As my old man would say " Always respect your elders " Great run, way to tear a new one for that young buc.
    Subaru 17' inch BBS wheels /w Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires, STi Pedals and Tint so far :-P

I think I found him...
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=280887
    ELUD THS in Richmond...
    e46 M3 (new toy)
    02 wrx w/257 swap (now sold)
    IS 300 5spd w/ NAV (hers)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast