Lunch time fun: Cobra vs STi - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Lunch time fun: Cobra vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SGOSWRX Is capable is the key word. I'm 2-1 against 03 Cobras in my STi. I easily ...

Quote Originally Posted by SGOSWRX
    Is capable is the key word. I'm 2-1 against 03 Cobras in my STi. I easily beat a stock 03 Cobra twice and the third one (which was modded - chip, pulley, etc) didn't catch me until about 80-85 mph (then he blew by me quite easy). But well driven STi can definately take out a stock 03 Cobra if the race is kept to a 1/4 mile or less.
    With a 12.8@105, you've been lucky in your races against Cobras. Wait until you run up against someone that knows how to drive.
    Ryan
    2003 REDFIRE COBRA

pullied, sprayed, ported

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by StngStr
    With a 12.8@105, you've been lucky in your races against Cobras. Wait until you run up against someone that knows how to drive.
    thats what i was thinking...i noticed your in florida i know a guy in the military that just moved there...be on the look out for a sonic blue 03 he just ran a best of 6.99@101 on the 8th track. anyways im sure fast cars are a dime a dozen there but his will stand out. plates are alaska and say "fkntry" heh
    04 WRX
    14.1@94 Mods: TBE 90octane

I would have to agree here. I have seen many stock cobra's go into the 12's and trap 5mph higher than that 105. Not to mention it's rather rare to catch a stock one as well. The STi does have the advantage for most of a 1/4mile stock vs stock, but once modding begins with either cars, the cobra will start to take over after 1/8th putting considerable distance on.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

The 03-04 Cobra is a beast, but it's interesting that

Hot Rod magazine's road course seems to have the STi running a 1:21.0 against the Cobra's 1:22.7.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

Quote Originally Posted by virpacalis
    Hot Rod magazine's road course seems to have the STi running a 1:21.0 against the Cobra's 1:22.7.
    well the cobra was never intended to be a road-course car.
    Just call me Clark Kent

Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    isn't that what the steering wheel is for?

its a car right? i have all the respect and fascination in the world for brute muscle strip cars, but there's sheer grace and skill in the corners. in my opinion, the STi is the far better car. its more capable in every imaginable aspect, except bangin down the strip from a huge cloud of smoke.

i dunno, everytime i think "modern day musclecar" i think rednecks, hicks, midlife crisis, little d!ck, mullets, and beerguts... not my bag. lol
    Dave
    01 RS

Quote Originally Posted by bigd
    isn't that what the steering wheel is for?

its a car right? i have all the respect and fascination in the world for brute muscle strip cars, but there's sheer grace and skill in the corners. in my opinion, the STi is the far better car. its more capable in every imaginable aspect, except bangin down the strip from a huge cloud of smoke.

i dunno, everytime i think "modern day musclecar" i think rednecks, hicks, midlife crisis, little d!ck, mullets, and beerguts... not my bag. lol
    dude, your singing to the choir. I am about as far as you can get from an american car fan. BUT you must give credit where credit is due. any $30k car that runs 12's stock and with less than a grand in mods will 11's is ok in my book. The STi is a more capable car, I am not arguing that, but as I said, you must give credit where credit is due.
    Just call me Clark Kent

GTO, Trans-Am, Grand-Am Series?

If you're right, the Cobra R was a drag car, IRS is ideal for the strip, and Bob Bondurant has no business using Mustangs for road course training.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

If you're right, the Cobra R was a drag car, IRS is ideal for the strip, and Bob Bondurant has no business using Mustangs for road course training.
    Mmmmm the smell of sarcasm.

It's amazing how many people don't think the Cobra can handle. It definitely isn't on the level of the STi but it far from sucks. There were a few videos posted awhile back from two guys that frequently race on the track together. One drives a modded STi while the other a modded Cobra. The Cobra holds it own for the most part but the STi just pulls away in and out of the corners. That really changed my impression of the Cobra.
    2005 Aspen White STi

lol, save the acrimony for a more useful occasion.

We are not talking about the cobra R, or what Bob Bondurant can do with his mustangs. The point is simple and clear. The Mustang Cobra was not made to be a road racing car. The cobra R has a built suspension and costs over $20k more than the current cobra. Bondurant does not race stock mustang's either, I am sure.
    Few people buy a cobra and say "I want this car because of how it handles and moves around a track", I am not saying it sucks, but its not its shining star either. I would say the 390hp blown 4.6 V8 is.
    Just call me Clark Kent

The STi is a more capable car, I am not arguing that, but as I said, you must give credit where credit is due.
    oh i give plenty of credit to the beast, honestly the stock power that thing puts down is almost firghtening considering what its capable of without much investment.. it has its place, and its on the strip.

if you modify any car enough, you can turn anything into a track car... what magic it can work around the track however, is entirely relative.
    Dave
    01 RS

Anyone with an 03/04 Cobra stock that only runs 13.3's@109 should have the keys taken away. A stock Cobra is capable of 12.7's@112 with a decent driver on stock tires (2.0's).

Exactly. Its funny that I pull the same if not better 60ft times in my Cobra vs my WRX.
    FS: 02 WRX with JDM V7 RA-C

Quote Originally Posted by Psylas
    thats what i was thinking...i noticed your in florida i know a guy in the military that just moved there...be on the look out for a sonic blue 03 he just ran a best of 6.99@101 on the 8th track. anyways im sure fast cars are a dime a dozen there but his will stand out. plates are alaska and say "fkntry" heh
    vid of that car...camera man is pretty funny
    http://www.mrx7.com/broke7/Movies/703_101.wmv
    04 WRX
    14.1@94 Mods: TBE 90octane

with 350whp in the ole EVO i'm 4 for 4 with stangs. One guy had every excuse in the book but to be honest if I had the money I'd park a 03 stang in my garage any day. I love the sound of a bov but the whine of a fighter jet backed by a huge v8 is oh so lovely to the ears. When it comes to dragging at a actual track i'd give the advantage to the Cobra any day however on track days better keep her at home.

Good death, I cant wait to hear the news about the new line of cobras I'm sure they will be sick. Really anxious to see if they can put up the high HP numbers as the new z06 so we'll just have to see

staton
    The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
    --
    Provehito In Altum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12