Went to the track
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Went to the track within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok for those of you who don't know, I have a 1997 Mitsu. Mirage LS 4dr sedan. It's a 5spd ...

Went to the track

Ok for those of you who don't know, I have a 1997 Mitsu. Mirage LS 4dr sedan. It's a 5spd 1.8L(the 4g93 motor) and from the factory it's suppose to have 115hp and 118lbs.tq. I have had a bunch of well I guess you could say questionable or hard to believe outcomes when I have raced prelude's, celica's, gsr's, civic vtec's and si's, eclipse's, as well as some other cars that should be faster than mine but for some reason I either beat them or stay dead even with them up to speeds around 90-100mph.

My friends wanted to go to the 1/4 mile track and get in a few runs and asked me if I wanted to go and I was so we rolled out. They get a few runs in and then a friend of one of my friends shows up at the track and he has an integra gsr so he asked if I wanted to go seeing as how the other cars in our group ran low 14's or faster so I agreed. This was my first race at a track with this car so I was about to see what I actually run. We line up and the tree lights up and we're off. I pulled a little out of the hole and then when I hit 3rd gear a pulled a tiny bit more but he still was right on my arse and then we finished with the him still being around my rear bumper.

I was like whoa I beat another gsr and waited to see the time slip while my friends are in the stands. I get my slip and this was the look on my face here is what I did and what he did:

gsr:
    60' 2.541
    1/8mph 68.720
    1/4 15.570 @ 91.075mph

mirage:
    60' 2.370
    1/8mph 73.890
    1/4 15.376 @ 92.647

I almost pooed in my pants. My friends dad has his own trucking company and they have an auto bay where they work on the rigs so I am gonna go there this weekend and we are gonna yank my engine out and open it up to see if cams were put in because that ridiculously faster than what a stock mirage is suppose to be doing. we have jacked up the car before and checked the exhaust and it was stock, and we also have checked the engine area and everything appears stock but I never really looked at the ecu either so I will check that out in a bit as well but man that's crazy. All my friend were telling me that I got a good deal on the car cause I bought it used for about 5 grand a couple years ago so I am all grins . So now that I know my wins over certain cars weren't flukes I just have to find out how the car runs so fast. Maybe I shouldn't even touch the engine cause what if I do and the car starts to run slower haha so maybe I wont touch it if people tell me not to.

EDIT: Notice our 1/8th mph and our 1/4 mph, he was hella catching up after the 1/8th.
    Last edited by TheReaper; 02-17-2005 at 11:15 PM.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oh I forgot to mention before we got half way down the track he was about a half a car length from my rear bumper then after that he started inching up on me. I would say when we hit around 80 he started inching up on me.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

You need to get to a dyno and get a baseline for what type of power your putting down. I'm interested to see what type of numbers you'd come up with.

+1 on the dyno
    05 STI

Speed Comes At A Price...How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Wow that's realy impressive for a mirage.
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

thats fcking ridiculous!!!!!!

15.3 @ 92mph is insane. Are you completely stock or what?
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

J-H
    What's up man!

That is a sweet mirage!!!! I know you are driving that cause you want the STI....I should do that too......yesterday I went ot the dealer because the "desperately need my 2002"

What a waste of time.....Anyway, I am not sure where you will be/if getting a dyno......is it worth it? Let the mistery live...LOL

Sorry to hijack thread.....

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

Registered User spyderpaint2004's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scooby24
    Wow that's realy impressive for a mirage.
    +1

something sounds fishy about that. if it is stock, u best seek a career in the racing industry and get urself in a dragster ASAP.

A truely stock Mirage would run 17s or slower. Something's up!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

WRX
    the clock at the track must be busted!

j/k man, good run!
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

J-H
    What 1/4 mile track did you go?

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

I went to the track in fontana. I read up on times for my year and type of mirage and it's suppose to do the 1/4 in 16.4, I bought it used so I was assuming it was stock. The reason I think it has the cam replaced is because when I first got the mirage I was going to put a turbo kit in it and run it at 10 psi and according to the site that put the kit together I should have been able to run low 13's with it. Then I thought about it and decided other wise cause I want my mirage to be my miles car and when I get the STi that would be my playing car like to go to the track and what not. I started to look up some "minor" stuff to do to the car and found out the if I put cams and exhaust on the 4g93 motor I would be at about 200hp, cams themselves in the 4g93 are said to make the engine gor from 115hp to about 180hp so thats why I am thinking someone had put a different cam in it and then traded the car in. Everything else on the car appears stock and I even need to change the fuel filter cause it's the original that came on the car brand new and the car has over 80k miles on it haha. Maybe I shouldn't touch the engine cause I might mess up the power or maybe it's the old azz fuel filter thats giving me added power hahahaha . All I know is ever since I found out what I actually run I am all grins .

EDIT: I forgot to mention to make the 200hp with cams and exhaust I would need a fuel managment system to go with it. Oh yeah and I don't even have an rpm gauge in my car cause I guess all mirages don't come with it so I am shifting when I think I should be like I take 1st up to 30, 2nd to about 55, 3rd to around 85, and when driving other places other than a track I take 4th to 120, and 5th basically just hovers at 120 so thats my max speed right now.
    Last edited by TheReaper; 02-18-2005 at 06:09 PM.

Someone told you a 1.8 liter goes from 115 to 180 hp with just different cams? 65 hp cams on a 1.8 liter NA engine? If that was the case, why would Mitsu bother with things like a turbo 2.0 in the Eclipse?

Are you sure the track isn't displaying some wacked "corrected" numbers?

I'm not just rattling your chain here - I've owned modded Mitsus for almost 15 years now.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Well another one of my friends that was there has an 05 STi and he ran a 13.5 at a track in texas and before I got my run in he did a few and ran 13.3 to 13.5 so I am sure nothing is wrong at that track. And I might have worded it wrong. If you thought I was talking about cam gears I actually meant to say it in singular not plural so cam or camshaft like internal for the lift and duration for the intake and exhaust and what not.

The stuff I was gonna do to my mirage were from a few different site but the main one is a company called rpw. A guy in Australia that makes like crazy fast mirages using the 1.6 and 1.8L engine that come in the cars. I believe he makes a turbo kit for it that puts out 400hp or more maybe but I haven't been to the site in a while so I am not to sure on the numbers anymore. Here's the web site http://www.rpw.com.au/
    Last edited by TheReaper; 02-19-2005 at 04:36 PM.

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    John's right. Eight-five horsepower on a 1.8L even with fuel management and exhaust seems pretty high. I know with LS1s (5.7L V8s) with exhaust, headers, intake, tuning, et cetera, people didn't usually see more than 50hp or so even with really long duration and high lift cams.

As far as what what's with your cam, I have absolutely no idea. Even with a cam on an otherwise stock engine, a second off your quarter mile time is a hell of a lot (especially when comparing a car with 80K miles to a new car). Are you sure that there's not a turbo stuck somewhere on there, or maybe a cam and extremely high flowing heads with really tiny combustion chambers? Whatever your car has, you got a great deal on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast