SRT-4 Fastttt WOW!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on SRT-4 Fastttt WOW!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by supersuby Is it my synchros? Who can check it? Yeah I would say it is the synchros. ...

Quote Originally Posted by supersuby
    Is it my synchros? Who can check it?
    Yeah I would say it is the synchros. I just didnt think the STi was prone to this like the 5spd is. Yeah change your fluid like recommended, there are some good threads that talk about different fluids and how they worked with other peoples cars. I fixed mine by getting cheap penzoil fluid running it for about 75 miles and then changing to redline mt90; within 20 miles the grinding started to go away and to this day almost 10k miles later I havent had a single problem.
    2004 WRX completely stock! And becoming even more stock daily.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CUBUFF
    Yeah I would say it is the synchros. I just didnt think the STi was prone to this like the 5spd is. Yeah change your fluid like recommended, there are some good threads that talk about different fluids and how they worked with other peoples cars. I fixed mine by getting cheap penzoil fluid running it for about 75 miles and then changing to redline mt90; within 20 miles the grinding started to go away and to this day almost 10k miles later I havent had a single problem.
    Many people have found that synthetic oil in the 6spd only makes grinding worse. Furthermore, I don't think the 6spd is prone to grinding, just overly aggressive driving.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Said it from the beginning. The SRT4 block is one stout mutha!! The will surpass any other 4 cylinder out there when history looks back.
    I got beat fairly handily by one with a stage 1, running I believe around 20psi boost, and 104 octane. I'd jump ahead but then he'd just roll on by. Fairly humiliating since it was just after a Cobb Stage 2 upgrade. Live and learn. What makes it even worse, to date, it's my only loss on the streets. At least it was to a friend's car. That softens the blow a little bit. Now...let's go from a dig
    Tube frames aside and custom modified bottom ends excluded (don't believe the hype) I have seen what scott mohlers team's bottom SRT-4 end was like. The baddest 4 cyl I can think of right now is the SR20 that can put down 700+hp and still be driven on the street!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JSpecGC8
    Tube frames aside and custom modified bottom ends excluded (don't believe the hype) I have seen what scott mohlers team's bottom SRT-4 end was like. The baddest 4 cyl I can think of right now is the SR20 that can put down 700+hp and still be driven on the street!!!
    That is a good set of numbers. Is that on the stock bottem end/top end? If I recall correctly, the SR20 has some pretty serious overheating issues that need to be addressed before you can get some good numbers out of it.

I'm assuming you are referring to the SR20DET and not the NA DE? Or is this one of those infamous blocks out of a GTi-R?

I looked at those blocks for a build a while ago, but the time/money investment seemed prohibitive compared to others that are available. Granted, you can pick up a decent SR20 for 400 or less, but it was my understanding that to get seriouse HP, you need to change throttle bodeis, go with a dry sump, cams, pistons, etc. Essentailly an almost new bottom and somewhat top end. The block is incredibly strong though, given the right gasketing/seals.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by silverscooby
    <---- Completely stock motor with just a bigger turbo and the goodies that go with it. Still going strong with over 10,000 450+whp miles.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Man..... Don't tell me that the STI tranny's s&^t too!!!!
    My car looks just like this without the skirts and roof wing! Yeah baby!

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    Man..... Don't tell me that the STI tranny's s&^t too!!!!
    It isn't and if you think it is because a few people have trouble shifting, you need to think again. Hell, I don't even think the newer 5spds suffer from the same problems as the early 02s did. They might not be able to handle 300-350whp for long but stock they should be fine.

Furthermore, I don't call a 6spd tranny that is holding 350-400whp reliably (hell and just recently 591whp) to be a piece of crap.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    It isn't and if you think it is because a few people have trouble shifting, you need to think again. Hell, I don't even think the newer 5spds suffer from the same problems as the early 02s did. They might not be able to handle 300-350whp for long but stock they should be fine.

Furthermore, I don't call a 6spd tranny that is holding 350-400whp reliably (hell and just recently 591whp) to be a piece of crap.
    To expound further on your response, My 02 wrx actually has 74k hard miles (Several 5k drops, and still on the original clutch) on it with about 15k of those at stage 2. So it goes to show that if driven properly you can still put the hammer down without problems. I guess I just couldn't stand the thought of the almighty STI having a glass tranny of any sort, that would just totally suck. If I had the cash. I would by the STI setup in a heartbeat! It really seems built for punishment from an engineering standpoint.

Heck if the current STI had the 02 body like mine I'd just get one of those and call it a day. I just think the bugeyed look rules, and the current look is too Isuzu for me.

Quote Originally Posted by scoob
    To expound further on your response, My 02 wrx actually has 74k hard miles (Several 5k drops, and still on the original clutch) on it with about 15k of those at stage 2. So it goes to show that if driven properly you can still put the hammer down without problems. I guess I just couldn't stand the thought of the almighty STI having a glass tranny of any sort, that would just totally suck. If I had the cash. I would by the STI setup in a heartbeat! It really seems built for punishment from an engineering standpoint.
    Exactly, it is all how you drive the car. If you slam gears constantly or downshift from low RPMs to high and really make those synchros work, of course things are going to wear. I think there is a fine line between good aggressive driving and needless abuse.

As for the 6spd, things are looking mighty good. A lot of people are hitting 300-400whp and higher. If you want to read something really amazing (if you haven't already):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716174

591whp STi. The engine is built but the tranny isn't. It is starting to look like the 6spd is definitely built for high horsepower applications. Ultimately, only time will tell, but if you treat you car well, I think it can handle quite a bit of power.
    2005 Aspen White STi

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
    Exactly, it is all how you drive the car. If you slam gears constantly or downshift from low RPMs to high and really make those synchros work, of course things are going to wear. I think there is a fine line between good aggressive driving and needless abuse.

As for the 6spd, things are looking mighty good. A lot of people are hitting 300-400whp and higher. If you want to read something really amazing (if you haven't already):

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716174

591whp STi. The engine is built but the tranny isn't. It is starting to look like the 6spd is definitely built for high horsepower applications. Ultimately, only time will tell, but if you treat you car well, I think it can handle quite a bit of power.
    Now that's more like it man! Sounds gooooood!

I Support ClubWRX
    I recall reading early on that Porshe was involved in the R&D of the STi 6 speed. With the abuse it's been shown to accept, I don't doubt it at all. It's up there with a Gertrag for certain.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by silverscooby
    <---- Completely stock motor with just a bigger turbo and the goodies that go with it. Still going strong with over 10,000 450+whp miles.
    you anger me
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    That is a good set of numbers. Is that on the stock bottem end/top end? If I recall correctly, the SR20 has some pretty serious overheating issues that need to be addressed before you can get some good numbers out of it.

I'm assuming you are referring to the SR20DET and not the NA DE? Or is this one of those infamous blocks out of a GTi-R?

I looked at those blocks for a build a while ago, but the time/money investment seemed prohibitive compared to others that are available. Granted, you can pick up a decent SR20 for 400 or less, but it was my understanding that to get seriouse HP, you need to change throttle bodeis, go with a dry sump, cams, pistons, etc. Essentailly an almost new bottom and somewhat top end. The block is incredibly strong though, given the right gasketing/seals.

There are a few around here and most of those sporting the G Force sticker on them somewhere. As far as the engine yes the SR20DET is what I am referring to. The GTi-R I have yet to see slap down 700 but thats not saying it hasn't or can't be done just I have not seen it. Building an SR20 DET in Japan is pretty cheap there are used parts galore and its a really popular motor so seeing a 500+ hp Silvia gets to be the average.

Ok so my best friend just bought an 04 SRT-4 Stage 2 mopar, Comes with the very nice auto IC spray and selectable 3 stages of boost. Oh yeah and that fuel map switching to 100+ octane. His car is insane fast. From a dig with a smooth launch at about 50% throttle and then 100% after a few feet it just goes wheel spin crazy and then same in second and third, he bought it used with 10k on it so im not sure if it has had any work but it looks un touched under the car and under the hood. on his boost guage he is boost around .26. Is that the normal amount of boost for the stage 2 stocker?
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.