I Miss My Rex, but 02 Max is winning me over
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I Miss My Rex, but 02 Max is winning me over within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; When i traded my Rex in on the 2002 Sterling Mist Maxima, it seemed like i was an officer handing ...

I Miss My Rex, but 02 Max is winning me over

When i traded my Rex in on the 2002 Sterling Mist Maxima, it seemed like i was an officer handing over his badge and Gun to his lieutenant.

after a day with the maxima on some open roads, i realized i got to keep "the gun". Sure the beam axle rear suspension hates railroad tracks and expansion joints. The tires really arent much better than RE92's. But that 3.5L V6 is downright heroic. Mash the throttle with TCS off any where in first gear, and the maxima marks its territory. Above 60 she reels in pavement quicker than a stock rex.
    Sure, ill get flamed for getting an auto, but out of all the auto cars ive driven, this transmission agrees with my dowshift then go driving philosophy. Press the pedal slightly and the max holds gear, a little bit more and you get silky downshift putting you at 3000rpm or greater. From there you apply more throttle. Id never wish for a tiptronic because the tranny is eager to downshift even for less agressive accelerating. If you mash, youll get double downshifts and wheelspin in lower gears. from 4500rpm to 6500rpm is non stop thrust that compares to Stage1 Rex. Its a great motor, and so civil, its easy to see why its one 10 best engines ever made.

What i miss is security on snowblanketed roads, and great traction in the rain. i also miss the nimble suspension, and small turning radius of the Rex

The GLE has heated leather seats, killer bose 6 disc in dash audio system w/ steering wheel controls and subwoofer, HID headlights, Heated steering wheel!!!, Sunroof, Ginormous rear seats that fold. All of these features plus reliability will help me get over my Rex. its hard though, i loved that car

This is the exact color/wheel combo of my Max
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mymaxjpg.JPG  
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No offence, but that pic makes it look like a Buick! I know they are nice cars though.

Congrats on the new ride.

T.J.

Oh, I almost forgot to flame you for getting an auto.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Congrats on the new ride, grandpa!!!

Seriously though, I've always liked the Maximas. Nice blend of luxury and performance in a reliable package.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

: ) yea it kinda does look like a buick. long and silver and FWD. I dig the seven spokers more than my stock Rex rims though.

The silver paint looks good even when dirty...The only troublesome looks come from the tail lights... kinda like the criticism bugeyed rexes got, even the 04's are known to have elantra esque headlights...

As for interior the Max's black leather is way sexier than anything stamped at a GM plant.

Autos are much lamer, but its downshift happy... you dont find yourself getting pissed waiting for downshifts... it offers them whenever you touch the pedal

nice ride, my cousin had one. They are nice cars. Definitely can move also. So how come you got rid of the rex?
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice car. I'm not big on the Maxima handling (it's just weird...), but it's got a near-perfect engine and a nice interior. Nissan should trim the Maxima down a little from its current bloated self and add AWD. 'Twould be a sweet combo.

Bring back the glory "4DSC" days!
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Reasons the rex is gone:

A: 12,000 miles blew second gear, blew again at 32,000 miles
    B: 25,000 miles rear diff blew out
    C: Invested 2400 bucks in RA set, 3rd gear synchro stopped working after 3500 miles
    D: Car leaked fuel on cold starts below 20 degrees
    E: Burned Oil at startup, and ate half a resovoir of coolant every 6 months
    F: Numerous electrical items began failing, fuses, bulbs, passenger window
    G: Car was going to need a clutch within a few months

All of these headaches combined with 5 months of various downtime sessions meant it was time to tuck and roll

wow... it sounds like you didn't have any luck at all with the rex. after all of that I would have bought something else as well.

Bah, no turbo! No awd! Legacy > Maxima
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Great choice mang!!! You know I was in favor of you getting the maxima
    Its a hell of a nice car, which offers a superb blend of luxury and performance. The handling is not the greatest ever, but it does better than its family sedan counter-parts. I dont know if you plan on modding but a good step for suspension IMO is H&R spring, KYB AGX adjustable struts, RSB, FSTB. These mods will do EXTREMELY SIGNIFICANT improvements in handling. If you are looking for performance but still want to retain the stock, clean look I highly recommend the following mods.
    Y-pipe = gets rid of cat and nets about 15whp for $200 I LOVE THIS MOD.
    B-pipe = catback but without an aftermarket muffler. can be had for $140.
    CAI = Look at place racing or Injen. The JWT popcharger makes just about the same hp numbers but wont sound as good. I had the placeracing on both my maximas and it REALLY makes the engine sound mean.
    Cattman Headers = A bit more advanced and make the car really loud, but have proven good gains on the dyno and sound amazing.

The engine on the car is great, as well as the interior. Good luck man. I have owned 2 modded maximas, one of which had quite a bit of work done to it, and I loved the car and often regret selling it. When I transfer colleges next year I will be selling my rex for a maxima no doubt
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

How does the new max compare to the 92' model? The new max looks pretty hot but heavy
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Will the twin turbo kits for the 350Z/G35c fit on the Maxima? If so, do that. My fiancee really wants a G35c with a twin turbo kit, but I told her that I have to get my EJ207 first. She can't have the fastest car in the garage.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Mods ill do right away = Tires, K&N, DIY higbeam + Fog Mod, And Dynomat on the rear deck...to keep the sub from buzzing.

Mobil 1 5w30, and grounding kit will follow. Maximas dyno close to 210 whp!, so a few extra ponies here and there cant hurt.

Intakes usually net 4whp, same with grounding kit. On dry roads this thing scoots!

as for the legacy GT, it was a bit out of my price range... my max is an 02 with 45000 miles... got her for 17,000.

watch out for your headlights. =P

i read a lot of people just steal those things cuz the HIDs can sell for a pretty penny.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasiveMunkey
    I have a tauren shaman level 52 on the Tichondrious server.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotguntc88
    Try going without underwear (old hippie day thing that I never got over)

Pee dribbles on your jeans when you park it back in.

im no where near automotive sketchballs... id be more concerned if i lived in the city. And Im insured... if they steal em, i get new ones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.