Why the WRX is not a fast car
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why the WRX is not a fast car within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Or, alternately, why there is no replacement for displacement... So, this guy takes off like a bat out of hell ...

Why the WRX is not a fast car

Or, alternately, why there is no replacement for displacement...

So, this guy takes off like a bat out of hell from a turning lane, not knowing I was pulling a launch to make the next light. Almost hits me, right? So I catch up to him, hit my horn and he's looking at me like WTF?

Next light, I roll off and give it some gas in first, pissed. He nails the gas. I shift into second, going about 25 mph and I'm off boost. Here's the fun part!!!!!

The late 90s BUICK PARK AVENUE was DEAD EVEN with my Cobb Stage II WRX through all of second gear.

Let me repeat that: late 90s Buick Park Avenue.

The WRX is not fast unless you have serious mods, you're launching, or you happen to be at the perfect rpm to take off.

The funny part of all this is that we're sitting at a light later down the road, I'm behind him and we're both in the left lane. A white van pulls into the turning lane, blows the red light and keeps going as if this is normal. We both started laughing.

Car-Stats.com Report for 1997 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    Obtained from C&D February, 1997
    0-60:
    Transmission: Unknown
    1/4 Mile:

1/4 Speed:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, yeah, turbo lag =
    06 S40 T5 AWD
    Previous: 2004 WRX
    05 CBR600F4i

well, if you were meaning to go fast, why were you out of boost?

no offense, but it sounds like you made a bad shift, and put yourself in a bad position.

the car isn't slow b/c the driver decided to start in second gear. the driver is slow.

dR

Quote Originally Posted by dark_rex
    well, if you were meaning to go fast, why were you out of boost?

no offense, but it sounds like you made a bad shift, and put yourself in a bad position.

the car isn't slow b/c the driver decided to start in second gear. the driver is slow.

dR

i wasn't meaning to go until he went. obviously i could have taken first to redline, had i wanted to. playing catch up in this car doesn't work very well.

like i said, properly driven the car can be quick. fast, now that's another concept. if i were driving a corvette, what would have happened?

So I lined up against a Honda Insight, I put the car in 6th and he totally destroyed me. I am selling my rex now for an insight, so much fast4r.
    Ben
    2005 Crystal Gray REX W/Premium Package
    TurboXS Stealthback
    XXTuning headers + up-pipe
    Short Shifter
    Momo Airmetal Leather Shift Knob

Pictures | My Site

Quote Originally Posted by cyrilgrey
    i wasn't meaning to go until he went. obviously i could have taken first to redline, had i wanted to. playing catch up in this car doesn't work very well.

like i said, properly driven the car can be quick. fast, now that's another concept. if i were driving a corvette, what would have happened?
    i hear you. in a vette, you can mash the gas no matter what, and be in a decent position. in a WRX, you have to be a more conscious driver. that doesn't make the car slow.

Just run a mild anti-lag setup and your car will never be off boost so you'll have no excuses losing to a late 90s Buick Park Avenue again.
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't like turbo lag you shouldn't buy a turbocharged car. This reminds me of a review I read when the WRX first came out. The reviewer went on and on gushing about the turbo power, then followed up saying he didn't like the sound and lag of the turbo. Errr.......

Then people gush and gush about the Corvette powerplant, then start complaining about how impractical it is and how having so much weight in the nose compromises the handling. Life is chocka-block full of compromises. Deal with it.
    Last edited by GV27; 02-15-2005 at 06:31 AM.
    "Inasmuch as ye have done it to one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it to me." -Jesus

1990 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    1992 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.Slow
    1993 Honda CBR600F2
    2002 WRX SportWagon *sold*

Quote Originally Posted by Yodaman
    So I lined up against a Honda Insight, I put the car in 6th and he totally destroyed me. I am selling my rex now for an insight, so much fast4r.
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    If you don't like turbo lag you shouldn't buy a turbocharged car. This reminds me of a review I read when the WRX first came out. The reviewer went on and on gushing about the turbo power, then followed up saying he didn't like the sound and lag of the turbo. Errr.......

Then people gush and gush about the Corvette powerplant, then start complaining about how impractical it is and how having so much weight in the nose compromises the handling. Life is chocka-block full of compromises. Deal with it.

+1

who doesn't love the sound of a turbo?

Would you have felt as bad is it was a Grand Prix GTP that did that to you?

They both share the same S/C 3.8, the Buick weighs about 300lbs more, but straight line performance isn't that far off.
    Saab 9-2x Black; EcuTek Tuned, Maddad TBE, STi muffler, KB Shifter&Bushings,STi Suspension,Silencer Delete, K&N, SSR Comps w/ BFG KDW's, JDM STi Intercooler, Noltec Alignment Plates, 20MM RSB, blah, blah, blah

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad W
    Would you have felt as bad is it was a Grand Prix GTP that did that to you?

They both share the same S/C 3.8, the Buick weighs about 300lbs more, but straight line performance isn't that far off.
    Only a small percentage of the Park ave's were supercharged.

I think you need to learn how to drive, stage 2 against a mid 90s buick any buick should kill it from a roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Only a small percentage of the Park ave's were supercharged.
    and they were only making 240 to the crank.

Administrator
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    I think you need to learn how to drive, stage 2 against a mid 90s buick any buick should kill it from a roll.
    Not necessarily. If caught off guard, a WRX will need some room to catch up.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast