Why the WRX is not a fast car - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Why the WRX is not a fast car within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; True only a small percentage of Buicks were s/c, but they were called "Ultra" as the one that cyrilgrey sighted ...

True only a small percentage of Buicks were s/c, but they were called "Ultra" as the one that cyrilgrey sighted in his post. The also make a very stout 280tq down low.

If it was not an Ultra, I don't know what to tell him....
    Saab 9-2x Black; EcuTek Tuned, Maddad TBE, STi muffler, KB Shifter&Bushings,STi Suspension,Silencer Delete, K&N, SSR Comps w/ BFG KDW's, JDM STi Intercooler, Noltec Alignment Plates, 20MM RSB, blah, blah, blah

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

In Ray's house while he's jacking it in his car.
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27
    Then people gush and gush about the Corvette powerplant, then start complaining about how impractical it is and how having so much weight in the nose compromises the handling.
    I've actually never heard people talk about how impractical the Corvette engine is. It's a ULEV engine, and it gets about 30mpg highway. Also, the Corvette has 51/49 weight distribution, and I've never heard anyone complain that the Corvette is nose heavy. In fact, the engine in a Corvette is behind the front axle, so it is technically a mid-engine vehicle. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the Corvette's handling.

I do understand the point you were making, but I think the Corvette might have been a bad example.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad W
    True only a small percentage of Buicks were s/c, but they were called "Ultra" as the one that cyrilgrey sighted in his post. The also make a very stout 280tq down low.

If it was not an Ultra, I don't know what to tell him....
    Not all the Ultras were supercharged. I just bought and sold one that wasn't.

Let's just pretend for cyril sake it was

But seriously I don't think what he described would have been possible with the n/a version, so I'm more inclined to believe it was.
    Saab 9-2x Black; EcuTek Tuned, Maddad TBE, STi muffler, KB Shifter&Bushings,STi Suspension,Silencer Delete, K&N, SSR Comps w/ BFG KDW's, JDM STi Intercooler, Noltec Alignment Plates, 20MM RSB, blah, blah, blah

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad W
    Let's just pretend for cyril sake it was

But seriously I don't think what he described would have been possible with the n/a version, so I'm more inclined to believe it was.
    Even though they are big heavy boats, the series II 3.8 has enough torque to hold its own against a WRX from a roll.

The wrx is a fast car, but its VERY anal about where its fast. The wrx needs to be driven a certain way in order to perform to its fullest potential. I will agree that the wrx is not a good car to play catch-up in though, the turbo comes on strong eventually but since 1st and 2nd are so short your right back when you started when you shift.
    I often find myself requiring nearly 2 full gears to pass a car that is flooring it, when I run the 1/4 almost 2 full seconds faster. You cant think in terms in of drag racing because the smallest jump or bogged launch makes all the difference in the world. My car is running ~ mid 13's and my buddies eclipse was running mid to higher 14's. I was a full second or more faster and would put about 6+ cars on him in a real 1/4 mile race and put like 4 cars on him from a roll.. Yet if he got the jump on me off the line or from a roll I was playing catch up and even though my car was considerably faster I would need about 2 gears to pass him up and put a little distance on him.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    Even though they are big heavy boats, the series II 3.8 has enough torque to hold its own against a WRX from a roll.
    Yeah but not a stage 2.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwrxguy
    Yeah but not a stage 2.
    You'd be surprised. Even though I do love our cars, they are far from invincible. When I was stage II, a 3.8 taurus wagon got the jump on me and I had trouble catching up. I got pissed and bought a VF34

J-H
    Reminds me the video with the FQ400 against some little ford....in top gear, the ford KILLED the Evo. Pretty funny....

Anyway, when you find yourself in that spot and you don't care about your tranny just give the clutch a quick pump...revs go up and BAM! <---------Tranny might not work anymore though

My car sounds like a LIGER.......ERZ + SPT = LOUD......pretty much one of my favorite sounds.....

JH

uke
    that 280 crank torque for the 3800 s/c engine has actually been shown to be underrated, often making that to the wheels.

It sounds like the Buick was supercharged based on it's times as it has similiar times to the s/c Bonneville (all of which have the same s/c 3.8 engine as the GTP). It's powerband is literally flat, meaning that you can just mash the gas and go in any gear just fine. I could see a wrx in the wrong gear getting surprised by one.

btw, what do stage 2's run, just so I have a frame of reference
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Coming from a previous WRX owner...
    I enjoyed the turbo boost and I think WRXs are great cars, however there is no replacement for displacement when it comes to reacting to a move made by someone. The ability to have power at almost any RPM range is something else.
    I wouldn't mind having forced induction on my V8 S4, though.
    2008 BMW M5 (E60) V10
    2005 S4 4.2 L V8 Black (traded)
    2002 WRX- (traded)

You'd be surprised. Even though I do love our cars, they are far from invincible. When I was stage II, a 3.8 taurus wagon got the jump on me and I had trouble catching up. I got pissed and bought a VF34
    haha, I like your style of dealing with problems andrew
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    haha, I like your style of dealing with problems andrew
    When in doubt, just spend money

When in doubt, just spend money
    lol, I am 19 and on my 4th modded performance car because I get bored so easily... I dont think spending money on cars in the future will be much of problem for me
    Just call me Clark Kent

WRX
    if the WRX is such a slow car, how can I (with an automatic trans) run 13's with just exhaust and reflash?
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.