STI - EVO - or keep WRX - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on STI - EVO - or keep WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think this debate must go through all WRX owners... I know I've been debating about it ever since Subaru ...

I think this debate must go through all WRX owners... I know I've been debating about it ever since Subaru sent me a notice in the mail for a guaranteed trade-in amount for my 03 wrx for an 05 model. All I could think about for days was if it was really worth it and if I could afford it.... Honestly, I could afford it but I just couldn't justify it. A did say I could afford it but not comfortably.

I haven't modded my car to the extent you have. I'm at cobb stg2 with some exterior mods but I just couldn't justify trading it in. I also figured in that my car will probably be paid off in about a year, which is great because that's more money in the pocket... and more money to mod. If I traded in I'd have car payments for at least another 3 years.

It's a tough choice but if you have money to spare and are willing to take a loss for a trade in... go for it !! I'm stickin w/ the wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Evo is far Easier to mod as it has a larger aftermarket, It has an IRON block, not steel. It can handle more power on a stock block, they are easier to tune. It will have a longer powerband and hold boost up top till 8000RPM's like mine does, but that is the Turbo. You all know what a STi does with a Green Turbo.

I still believe they are a better handler mod for mod, don't believe that Tire Pressure can fix easilly. I like the Quicker steering Ratio. I just believe the Evo has a Better balance to it, but they are close enough that the Better Driver will Prevail.

Sti is easier to drive daily, quicker spoolup and low RPM torque. I never got the TMIC design, I know it is supposed to aid in Throttle response but heat rises . I Do not like the 6-speed gear ratios for the street, too much rowing, the track is a different story.

The only weakness the Evo Tranny has is the CLutch, it is a 2100 pound unit, not strong enough to handle the abuse of young guys doing 6000 RPM clutch drops. The transfer case is fine unless abused. I have never blown one on either my AWD DSM or my Evo. IT WILL break if you toss in a monster clucth and just dump it.

All in all I would rather Have a JDM STi Block, not the U.S. Version. IMHO it is a better motor.
    Last edited by TSi AWD; 02-16-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    1. Nope. Not true. Mod for mod...will not out handle STi. Simple tire pressure changes on the STi and "tada"...it suddently outhandles the Evo. Screw the magizines. When I get passed by one, maybe then I'll admit it.
    2. Prove it. Faster times where? Not at any track I've been at. I'm assuming you mean "will achieve more power"...after modding. The way I read this, it's stock vs stock, and it's well know the STi puts more to the ground at that point.
    3. General concensus is that the Evo block is more robust. Rest of power train demonstrated to be weaker than STi. Go to Evo forums and read up on tranny/clutch/diff issues.
    4. Again, mod for mod, not true. More power/modibility of ENGINE. Yes. Better handling. Again, I would highly debate that. Again, both cars are similar platforms, but different approaches on engine build, clutch build, diff build, and tranny build. Basically they are both AWD platforms, built by foreign manufacturers, with essentially the same amenities. Major difference (besides I vs H) is the quicker steering ratio of the Evo (but a larger turning radius of 2 ft) and the multi-link rear susp of the Evo. STi may look better inside, but Evo seats are way better for the twisties. Yeah, STi has DCCD and vertical rotation for lights, but since most users leave the DCCD in auto, these aren't true differentiators.

Obviously, everyone has an opinion here. Not to say anyone's is more right or wrong compared to another's.

Personally, I'm not really sure why you are looking for feedback on these cars from others. The cars exhibit very different personalites when driven to the limit, and you may find one suits your driving style better than the other. Why not drive them and decide for yourself. I'd suggest the STi first, that way you can truly appreciate the lag associated with the Evo. I found it frustrating. After all, it's you who will own it..not me, or anyone else here. Rather than ask slightly vague questions, research the known issues and ask about them specifically.
    I have owned both cars. The Evo handles better hands down. I don't care what tire pressure change you do. Honestly I would still have my STi if it wasn't a lemon. They are both great cars.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

i went down to cerritos auto square test drove an STI with 20000 miles and an intake, amazing car smooth silent and ****ing fast, EVO i hate mitsubishi dealerships ( been to two) test drove it but thos pieces of **** wouldn't give me a regular EVO 8 underMSRP and it was marked up by 3000 and the dealership wouldnt let me have it for under 35000 so no im sticking with the WRX and i think im going to do a JDM 7 engine swap in about 2 months. the EVO was amazing too but screw mitsubishi if they think there car is worth more than an STI

Quote Originally Posted by SWAP320
    i went down to cerritos auto square test drove an STI with 20000 miles and an intake, amazing car smooth silent and ****ing fast, EVO i hate mitsubishi dealerships ( been to two) test drove it but thos pieces of **** wouldn't give me a regular EVO 8 underMSRP and it was marked up by 3000 and the dealership wouldnt let me have it for under 35000 so no im sticking with the WRX and i think im going to do a JDM 7 engine swap in about 2 months. the EVO was amazing too but screw mitsubishi if they think there car is worth more than an STI
    Sorry your mitubishi dealers suck. Over her on Long Island, my Mitsu dealer rocks. We have BBQ's at our meets hosted by the dealer. They also had an MR we could check out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    I have owned both cars. The Evo handles better hands down. I don't care what tire pressure change you do. Honestly I would still have my STi if it wasn't a lemon. They are both great cars.
    Thats nice. But you should care. Come down to summit with me sometime. I've taken some dollars off other Evo owners, glad to take yours too.

JK man. In all seriousness, like I said earlier, it's all a matter of opinion. My perspective is from the rear view mirror. Yours is from owning both vehicles. All I can say is if you didn't change the tire pressure (which you didn't, otherwise you wouldn't say it doesn't matter) how can you say it doesn't matter? Stock, no changes, the STi apexes later than an Evo, but powers out of an exit faster. Very close to equal at that point. Adjust the pressures and the STi can hit the same apex as the Evo, yet still has the grunt to exit faster. Just plain 'ole physics.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07
    Thats nice. But you should care. Come down to summit with me sometime. I've taken some dollars off other Evo owners, glad to take yours too.

JK man. In all seriousness, like I said earlier, it's all a matter of opinion. My perspective is from the rear view mirror. Yours is from owning both vehicles. All I can say is if you didn't change the tire pressure (which you didn't, otherwise you wouldn't say it doesn't matter) how can you say it doesn't matter? Stock, no changes, the STi apexes later than an Evo, but powers out of an exit faster. Very close to equal at that point. Adjust the pressures and the STi can hit the same apex as the Evo, yet still has the grunt to exit faster. Just plain 'ole physics.
    Well I didn't have my STi long enough to really work on suspension. Had enough trouble keeping the check engine light off. Anyway car was a lemon. It happens. So I got my money back and moved on. Hey everyone has there opinion about Evo vs STi. Thats what makes our cars great. Its just like mustang vs camaro.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123