STI - EVO - or keep WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on STI - EVO - or keep WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The only thing I have to say is people tried telling me it was worth it to trade in my ...

The only thing I have to say is people tried telling me it was worth it to trade in my 03 and buy an STi, except that I'm losing about 6-7k just by selling/trading in the car then adding another 10k to buy the car...for that money I'd rather just build my car up eventually over time, an extra 300-500 a month is tough to come by but piecing together the car over time I can handle.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I say keep the rex. You are already pretty well moddeed and theres no reason to stop now. You are not going to have that much better of a modding platform if you go to STi anyways.
    From the sounds of it you are looking for big power and big modability, which = Evo. If you do decide to trade up go for the Evo... I dont see any reason to take the resale value hit and buy and STi when you are already that modded to that extent.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

get rid of the wrx. im in the same situation. rays rims, chargespeed kit,hyperflow fmic, fp18g, jic coilovers, blah blah to much more wasted. and the next level is that much more money. when i can just get a evo with basic bolt ons that would destroy my wrx.
    2008 Evo X
    HBSpeed tuned 351AWHP 345TQ
    T1R TBE, Perrin FMIC, AEM Intake, AP tuned

I Support ClubWRX
    I think your test driving both is the right first step. It appears you've already considered the financial impact of trading in/selling an extensively modded WRX on either car so your head is in the right place. Don't forget to consider resale and reliability. The Evo is (so far) the stronger block, but the STi has the stronger (by far) power train...from axles, clutch, tranny throught the diffs.
    Hopefully you've researched both cars. Granted, the STi has undertaken a bit of rep as a weaker block, but as I've said time and time again, go back 10 years and look at the issues the Evo block had with the DSM product line it was used in. The STi just grows stronger as the build issues are understood and dealt with. Dollar for doller, the Evo still has the edge for block strenght when going down the mod path. Do not fall into the handling hype though, as that, IMHO, is all it is. Each person's experience will differ, but my own has been that the Evo can't hang with an STi under "proper supervision"

Not hatin' on the Evo, or lovin on the STi, as I'd own both if possible. The overall reputation of Subaru is what brought me to the Impreza line, and for me, that is a very important consideration. Ask yourself...where will Mitsubishi be 5 years from now? Again..no slam intended, just an honest question.

No matter which way you go, it's obvious performance is something you value, and your current or future route already says your in for the long haul. Kewl
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Maybe put a USDM bottom end with JDN V7 or V8 heads and you can keep your turbo and the rest. You already have a lot of upgrades over the STI, that would make it much better. ANd it wouldn't really cost all that much, especialyl over time with paymetns, gas, and insurance. If you aren't after the low end power as much spend about $4000 and get a jdm sti long block, sell your motor for a few k and it will sing like it never did before.

You cant take into account the money you spent on modding your WRX. they are sunk costs, you'll never get that money back. Now you have think of the future. Which will be cheaper?

WRX Payments (if u owe any) + maintenance on a 3+ year old turbo.

Evo/STi Payments + mods (but less cus its so advanced compared to stock rex)...(warranty covered maintenance = less out of pocket)

Which is cheaper? thats the best way to figure it out. besides personal attachment to the Rex.

(wow i hate relating Managerial Accounting to Cars)
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

You watch, Mistu will be back in teh game with all it's new product lines. They cannot keep Evo's on the lot, MY DEALER just sold a USED Mr with 7000 miles on it for $37,000, and they sold it the ats time for $40,000. It was traded in by some nut that had to have the Graphite Grey MR, so he traded in a MR, for an MR and ate about $3,000.

GSR's go for $36,000, and if your lucky.

Once they Eclipse comes out, they will sell so many, Mitsu is heading in thr right direction.

I agree, Mitsu is heading in the right direction.

Those commercials showing the Galant beating the Camry/Accord are great. Now they need to have Lancer Ralliart commercials destroying Civic EX's. Get people so realise they can get a more powerful car for less money than a Civic. Mitsu is actually a great contender is all of the markets it has cars for, but people disregard them for Toyota/Honda.

and i can vouche for the cars quality since i worked at a Mitsu dealership all last summer swapping cars (aka driving them to trade w/ other dealerships). I drove the entire line of cars many many times.
    2008 Satin White Pearl WRX Sedan w/ Navi
    2005 San Remo Red WRX Sedan w/ VF34 (traded)
    Pi Kappa Alpha | New England Flat 4

Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    You watch, Mistu will be back in teh game with all it's new product lines. They cannot keep Evo's on the lot, MY DEALER just sold a USED Mr with 7000 miles on it for $37,000, and they sold it the ats time for $40,000. It was traded in by some nut that had to have the Graphite Grey MR, so he traded in a MR, for an MR and ate about $3,000.

GSR's go for $36,000, and if your lucky.

Once they Eclipse comes out, they will sell so many, Mitsu is heading in thr right direction.
    I agree... they are going to make a HUGE comeback
    They may very well do what nissan did in the 90's
    Just call me Clark Kent

should i just wait a year or two and wait for the NEW sti's to come out or should i go with the EVO now - what is the best price anyone has heard on for the EVO gsr? are they worth it?, and how much does it cost compared to the STI (or WRX for that matter ) to mod?

Quote Originally Posted by SWAP320
    should i just wait a year or two and wait for the NEW sti's to come out or should i go with the EVO now - what is the best price anyone has heard on for the EVO gsr? are they worth it?, and how much does it cost compared to the STI (or WRX for that matter ) to mod?
    Since you seem so stuck on a car that is just a pure performer of both handling, speed, and general modability, you mine as well buy an Evo.
    Just call me Clark Kent

what is everyone else stuck on STI's are reliable great performers, great handling, and you can mod them - basically why is the evo such a better car for performance (and what else would you look for in a car besides performance, handling, reliability and of course modability? is it cheaper to mod an EVO or an STI?

what is everyone else stuck on STI's are reliable great performers, great handling, and you can mod them - basically why is the evo such a better car for performance (and what else would you look for in a car besides performance, handling, reliability and of course modability? is it cheaper to mod an EVO or an STI?
    The Evo's just put down more power, with mods. They come with a bigger turbo than the STi. Evo's block is steel. It can hold more boost. Boost = Power.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

1) Evo handles better stock, and mod for mod will out-handle the STi

2) Evo comes with a larger turbo. This means that the Evo will achieve more power and faster times while on the stock turbo compared to the STi on the stock turbo

3) Although this may be a debate, I believe the general concensus is that the Evo block/trans can handle more power on stock block/trans

4) In a nut shell, both cars are similar stock, but mod for mod the Evo will out handle the STi and make more power than the STi. If you are looking for a performer and intend to go with a decent amount of mods the Evo is the better performance car... it just doens't have as nice of an interior as the STi.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex
    1) Evo handles better stock, and mod for mod will out-handle the STi

2) Evo comes with a larger turbo. This means that the Evo will achieve more power and faster times while on the stock turbo compared to the STi on the stock turbo

3) Although this may be a debate, I believe the general concensus is that the Evo block/trans can handle more power on stock block/trans

4) In a nut shell, both cars are similar stock, but mod for mod the Evo will out handle the STi and make more power than the STi. If you are looking for a performer and intend to go with a decent amount of mods the Evo is the better performance car... it just doens't have as nice of an interior as the STi.
    1. Nope. Not true. Mod for mod...will not out handle STi. Simple tire pressure changes on the STi and "tada"...it suddently outhandles the Evo. Screw the magizines. When I get passed by one, maybe then I'll admit it.
    2. Prove it. Faster times where? Not at any track I've been at. I'm assuming you mean "will achieve more power"...after modding. The way I read this, it's stock vs stock, and it's well know the STi puts more to the ground at that point.
    3. General concensus is that the Evo block is more robust. Rest of power train demonstrated to be weaker than STi. Go to Evo forums and read up on tranny/clutch/diff issues.
    4. Again, mod for mod, not true. More power/modibility of ENGINE. Yes. Better handling. Again, I would highly debate that. Again, both cars are similar platforms, but different approaches on engine build, clutch build, diff build, and tranny build. Basically they are both AWD platforms, built by foreign manufacturers, with essentially the same amenities. Major difference (besides I vs H) is the quicker steering ratio of the Evo (but a larger turning radius of 2 ft) and the multi-link rear susp of the Evo. STi may look better inside, but Evo seats are way better for the twisties. Yeah, STi has DCCD and vertical rotation for lights, but since most users leave the DCCD in auto, these aren't true differentiators.

Obviously, everyone has an opinion here. Not to say anyone's is more right or wrong compared to another's.

Personally, I'm not really sure why you are looking for feedback on these cars from others. The cars exhibit very different personalites when driven to the limit, and you may find one suits your driving style better than the other. Why not drive them and decide for yourself. I'd suggest the STi first, that way you can truly appreciate the lag associated with the Evo. I found it frustrating. After all, it's you who will own it..not me, or anyone else here. Rather than ask slightly vague questions, research the known issues and ask about them specifically.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast