GTP kill

This is a discussion on GTP kill within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was cruising on my way back to work from lunch and this ass in a GTP flies by me ...

WRX

GTP kill

I was cruising on my way back to work from lunch and this ass in a GTP flies by me and cuts me off. I didn't bother with tailgating or honking and such, I just waited until the road changed to two lanes to lay the smack down on him. Sure enough, when the road opened to two lanes, he changed lanes at about 30 mph and gunned it with me about 2 carlengths behind. As we passed the slower traffic, I jumped into the left lane and eventually passed him at 80 or so. After I passed him, I let off and he did a huge flyby. After that, there was a light up ahead, and I got to line up next to him. I tried to look over to give him a thumbs up, but he didn't look anywhere but straight ahead. So I took that as a sign that he wanted to go.

Light turns green and we both go. I did a very light brake torque to about 1500 to avoid uber lag from the auto. The rate I launched at, he was even with me until my turbo spooled. Then I pulled nearly 4 cars on him and shut down at 80. And sure enough... another flyby.

Cliffnotes: WRX 2 - GTP 0
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This didn't happen to be a black one with yellow lettering did it?

Quote Originally Posted by WRX
    I was cruising on my way back to work from lunch and this ass in a GTP flies by me and cuts me off. I didn't bother with tailgating or honking and such, I just waited until the road changed to two lanes to lay the smack down on him. Sure enough, when the road opened to two lanes, he changed lanes at about 30 mph and gunned it with me about 2 carlengths behind. As we passed the slower traffic, I jumped into the left lane and eventually passed him at 80 or so. After I passed him, I let off and he did a huge flyby. After that, there was a light up ahead, and I got to line up next to him. I tried to look over to give him a thumbs up, but he didn't look anywhere but straight ahead. So I took that as a sign that he wanted to go.

Light turns green and we both go. I did a very light brake torque to about 1500 to avoid uber lag from the auto. The rate I launched at, he was even with me until my turbo spooled. Then I pulled nearly 4 cars on him and shut down at 80. And sure enough... another flyby.

Cliffnotes: WRX 2 - GTP 0

I've lost count how many times I wished to catch a light w/ a rude jackass after he cuts me off or does a fly-by, and it never happens. Nice kill.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

nice kill... i owned a v-6 non supercharged.. the supercharged ones could beat gt mustangs all day, their pretty quick but a rex should beat one in stock trim since they weigh like 3800lbs(on a light day) and stock they put like 230-240 to the wheels.. they can be fun cars but the auto tranny is very annoying.

Whats with all the clif notes things lately.. this is a forum you come to read about cars.. not doging on you at all.
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH
    This didn't happen to be a black one with yellow lettering did it?
    nah, just a gold one... looked stock.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

uke
    Nice kill, looking at your times a GTP would have to have at least headers, 3.4" pulley, aftermarket PCM (computer) and supporting mods to match your time.

I'm getting headers installed myself in the next couple weeks, and I hope to hit the 13.6 range (and doing it with wrong wheel drive to boot! )

edit: just saw that your 13.6 was with your old setup, what are you expecting to run with your new one?
    Last edited by uke; 02-08-2005 at 03:58 PM.
    06 GTO - yeah, it's pretty quick
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by uke
    Nice kill, looking at your times a GTP would have to have at least headers, 3.4" pulley, aftermarket PCM (computer) and supporting mods to match your time.
    well the 13.6 was before my turbo, but I'm only running 10 psi on the new turbo until I get dynoed, so it's about the same. But when I get tuned I'm hoping for 12's.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

uke
    just to clear up a couple facts (not at all a flame)

-Grand Prix's weigh in at around 3400lbs, not counting gas and driver
    -they get 240hp crank, but around 200 to the wheels, however the 280lb torque figure is underrated with many GTP's making that to the wheels, which would be over 300 crank torque stock (no wonder we shred trannys!)
    -though the magazines put them in the low 15's for 1/4 mile, it's common for stock GTP's to get mid to high 14's, with a few freaks hitting as low as 14.3
    -best place for a GTP to race is from a low speed roll, traction isn't as big an issue and it can make the greatest use of it's massive low end torque.
    -auto tranny is annoying, but an aftermarket PCM (computer) and a shift kit can make it a whole lot more fun

Peace
    Last edited by uke; 02-08-2005 at 04:06 PM.
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

Quote Originally Posted by uke
    just to clear up a couple facts (not at all a flame)

-Grand Prix's weigh in at around 3400lbs, not counting gas and driver
    -they get 240hp crank, but around 200 to the wheels, however the 280lb torque figure is underrated with many GTP's making that to the wheels, which would be over 300 crank torque stock (no wonder we shred trannys!)
    -though the magazines put them in the low 15's for 1/4 mile, it's common for stock GTP's to get mid to high 14's, with a few freaks hitting as low as 14.3
    -best place for a GTP to race is from a low speed roll, traction isn't as big an issue and it can make the greatest use of it's massive low end torque.
    -auto tranny is annoying, but an aftermarket PCM (computer) and a shift kit can make it a whole lot more fun

Peace
    I had a grand prix gt.. 1997 to be exact.. i weighed it at a truck stop.. about 3/4 tank and me and my gf (about 250 pounds all together) it weighed in excess of 3800... scales dont lie manufactures like to.
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck

uke
    Quote Originally Posted by GIRex
    I had a grand prix gt.. 1997 to be exact.. i weighed it at a truck stop.. about 3/4 tank and me and my gf (about 250 pounds all together) it weighed in excess of 3800... scales dont lie manufactures like to.
    3/4 tank of gas (about 12 gallons) is over 100 lbs
    you and girlfriend, unless you're both twigs probably come in at least 250

That's at least 350 + the curb weight of 3450= about 3800. Also other optoins like HUD, sunroof, power seats, spare tire, etc can also add weight on top of the listed manufacturers weight.

Regardless, they're still heavy cars (being that it's a family car), just not AS heavy as people make them out to be. (I've heard people say 4000 )

What's even funnier is that the Buick Regal GS (which is basically a Buick with a GTP engine) actually weighs 50 pounds less than the GTP
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

WRX
    I have respect for the grand prix. My dad has always leased the most current version, and they do have some great low end torque. I actually thought it would've been a closer race since I'm only on 10 psi.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

uke
    if that 10psi makes you run close to that 13.6 time, it wouldn't be close unless he was modded. Please note, though, that i have no clue whatsoever what 10 psi on your car makes power wise
    Grand Prix GTP-gone

is that on the new 18g?? man thats gonna be a beast

Yeah me and my wife are both twigs and were short. I have seen some weight 4000lbs. I mean think about it a full tank, a load of luggage and a fat dude or so. I like Grand prix though.. it got me into modifying cars(i mean my probe was modified but i didnt do it) flowmasters and intake sound really cool on a grand prix.

peace.
    Last edited by GIRex; 02-08-2005 at 10:21 PM.

I raced a Red GTP about a week ago....both times from a dead stop....the road splits into 2 lanes just merging into a single lane.

First Run

I did a 3.5K launch and put an imediate 3 cars on him...i dont think he had gunned it at the right moment as the light turned green.

Then the Second Run

This time he was pissed and again he pulled up next to me...i again did a better launch by slipping the clutch from 4K gently letting it out. He hanged next to my b pillar throughout 1st gear as i heard his tires squeal and maybe his Traction Control kicked in....then comes second gear for me and i put the final 2 car lead before his lane ran out and he had to merge back behind me....

I think this Kid goes Benedictine in Lisle IL...either way he Pwned the first time and then came back for seconds.

2004 WRB WRX
    Mods: Intake Silencer Hacked, Fram AirHog, 3/16th Mod, Sti Axleback, (Full Synthetic AMSOIL severe gear oil for the tranny and diff and Mobil 1 5W30 for the motor).

1999 EPB Civic Si (RIP) 192 WHP and 14.63 in the 1/4
    Jackson Racing Supercharger @ 6 psi
    Exedy Flywheel & organic clutch
    Kamikazee Header W/ Skunk2 catback
    crappy yokohama YK420 tires

Not to be an ass, but 12 gallons of gas would actually be a tiny bit less than 82 lbs.