r32 vs. sti
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on r32 vs. sti within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so, going down lake shore drive, i see this sti in front of me, maybe 20-30 cars in front, and ...

r32 vs. sti

so, going down lake shore drive, i see this sti in front of me, maybe 20-30 cars in front, and i start flooring it. I was at least two gears too high, but i didn't car, i just wanted to catch up to him but not to frighten the guy. Anyhow, i guess he sees my car from that far back and he floors it. I catch up to him and the passenger signals me to come next to them. I get next to them and the passenger asks if we wanted to race. I say sure why not, i downshift and so does he, and he takes off before i was ready. i said wtf but took follow and he slowed down again. We did this again, at about 30mph and i was in second. We didn't really do a count down, he would just jump whenever he wanted, as he did this time and got an instant two cars on me and i tried to catch but i couldn't, slowed down when he was three cars in front but he wasn't really pulling that much there after. I get next to him and we go again, this time i got the jump on him and he floored it, but couldn't catch up to me, maybe he messed up on a shift or something. We only ran from 30-70mph on that one. We did it again, and this time he got the hit and got about 2 cars on me again. Damn, the car really flew. We got off and got up to two red lights. Both red lights, he gets a better reaction time and i follow, though everytime i dont let him get more than 1 car on me on the launch. To about 60 he was about two cars in front. I guess maybe i would have held him back a bit better if i launched at 5k and actually had a better damn reaction time. Anyhow, they asked me what i had and i told them chip and intake. I asked him what he had, and the passenger turns to the driver and asks him 'what should i say.' The passenger turns around and tells me, 'were completely stock.'

Ok, i have raced stock evo's and stock 540's and slightly modded srt-4s, and non of them have ever jumped that fast from a roll on me. For some reason, i can not believe that he was stock, not even the slightly modded evo i raced didn't lurch forward like that. (ps. i beat the evo by like 2 cars to 155mph but thats a whole different story).

My car traps around 102-103mph, so i cannot see the sti launching that much on me, if those trap around 101-105mph stock.

wtf!? i am almost positive he was lying to me, they seemed like they didn't want to tell me the truth about what he had. why do people do that?
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I pretty sure that STi might have Utec. Honestly he might have been stock. Dam 300 Lbs of torque. Never now.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

i dont think thats too hard to believe. i have a friend with a R32, mods include giac 93oct chip, and evo intake. we raced when i had a decent summer tune and 40-110 he was a little behind my bumper. i have uppipe, turboback, and utec. sti's should be a little quicker than i, so that sounds about right.

yea i really don't get the whole "im stock" hype...i mean if you race an a hole who thought his car was teh fastest evarr and you beat him then fine but it you race a guy who is cool i don't see why you wouldnt admit to whats under the hood...specially if he admits it first....
    Mods: ERZ Up/Down pipe, bosal dual tip cat-back, cobb AP stage II

i would have believed him, but i have raced other sti's, they pull, but they dont pull that fast. I was stock back then too, thats the wierd thing. Plus, why would his friend ask him, 'what should i tell him,' and then turn to me and tell me, 'oh, this car is stock.' sounds a bit suspicious.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500
    2000 M5 - SS exhaust, Xpipe, AFE Cold Air Intakes, Proj39 Angel Eyes, Carbon Fiber kidney grills, LED taillights... 111mph traps. soon, dinan ecu upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM 3SGTE
    i dont think thats too hard to believe. i have a friend with a R32, mods include giac 93oct chip, and evo intake. we raced when i had a decent summer tune and 40-110 he was a little behind my bumper. i have uppipe, turboback, and utec. sti's should be a little quicker than i, so that sounds about right.
    was the 14.0 @ 97mph run with these mods?
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

on another post, they say that the 350z and sti are driver's race from a roll, or some people state that. i walk STOCK 350z's easily. i just wish people would say the truth about their cars.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    was the 14.0 @ 97mph run with these mods?
    no that time was done with just a utec on the stage1 basemap. basically just a boost controller at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM 3SGTE
    no that time was done with just a utec on the stage1 basemap. basically just a boost controller at that point.
    oh ok... i thought so. i was just gonna say that a stock r32 with a good driver should hit a 14 flat at 99mph.
    my R32 on CarDomain

Golf R32
    2004 SL500

Quote Originally Posted by ellinopedo182
    on another post, they say that the 350z and sti are driver's race from a roll, or some people state that. i walk STOCK 350z's easily. i just wish people would say the truth about their cars.

sti vs 350z is not a drivers race off a roll or a stop..i took one with 4 heads in my car and 2 in his and it wasnt pretty..i pulled harder than this guy pulled on you(from a roll)
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    sti vs 350z is not a drivers race off a roll or a stop..i took one with 4 heads in my car and 2 in his and it wasnt pretty..i pulled harder than this guy pulled on you(from a roll)
    Can someone please explain to me how an STi can kill a 350z from a roll?? I have asked in previous threads but no one seems to be able to explain why or how. Anyways, ellinopedo, the STi you raced probably has a UTEC or exhaust mods on it. If he really pulled that hard on you, then he has something in there.
    Last edited by fastwrx135; 02-08-2005 at 01:17 AM.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by evL`WrX
    yea i really don't get the whole "im stock" hype...i mean if you race an a hole who thought his car was teh fastest evarr and you beat him then fine but it you race a guy who is cool i don't see why you wouldnt admit to whats under the hood...specially if he admits it first....
    Perhaps I am one of those types as well too... But I do have my reasons though... WRXen are currently THE most stolen car up here, so I am very careful as to not only where I park, but also what i tell people about it. No point making yourself a target because perspective thieves know what goodies lurk under the hood. I even went from my atmospheric BOV back to the stock recirculating unit to minimize the amount of attention that the car gets as I drive.

Most of the time when people I don't know ask what I have done, I simply reply exhaust and rims. Unless know the person pretty well, I can be pretty evasive when it comes to that question. If I know the person, I have no issues giving them the list.

Sure it might be seen as being a **** and what not, but it is also a safety thing, just like how you wouldnt go broadcasting to the world that you leave a million dollars in cash sitting in the glove box of your car everyday.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    Can someone please explain to me how an STi can kill a 350z from a roll?? I have asked in previous threads but no one seems to be able to explain why or how. Anyways, ellinopedo, the STi you raced probably has a UTEC or exhaust mods on it. If he really pulled that hard on you, then he has something in there.
    it is a drivers race from a roll really, but one thing should be kept in mind though. The STi's 6th gear is shorter than the 350Z's 6th gear, which in theory should allow for better acceleration once both cars hit 6th gear. This is clouded thoughby other factors such as aerodynamics at those speeds.

From a stop, it is not much of a race. As soon as the STi gets the initial lead, it will hold it.
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    Perhaps I am one of those types as well too... But I do have my reasons though... WRXen are currently THE most stolen car up here, so I am very careful as to not only where I park, but also what i tell people about it. No point making yourself a target because perspective thieves know what goodies lurk under the hood. I even went from my atmospheric BOV back to the stock recirculating unit to minimize the amount of attention that the car gets as I drive.

Most of the time when people I don't know ask what I have done, I simply reply exhaust and rims. Unless know the person pretty well, I can be pretty evasive when it comes to that question. If I know the person, I have no issues giving them the list.

Sure it might be seen as being a **** and what not, but it is also a safety thing, just like how you wouldnt go broadcasting to the world that you leave a million dollars in cash sitting in the glove box of your car everyday.
    I don't think WRX's are stolen because of what aftermarket parts they have. WRX's are stolen because they are WRX's and just as many stock on'es are stolen as modded. I don't think a thief is gonna look at your WRX and not steal it because it doesn't appear to be modded.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

I'll be sure to tell others that I race that I have Perrin endlinks on the car from now on...

Depends how much time we have to chat (impatient traffic behind, light turning green, etc...). I'll typically tell them I have a chip, full exhaust, and a boost controller. Other times I'll just tell them I have an exhaust. There are a number of reasons people won't tell you everything that's done to their car: Pride, secrecy, stupidity, lack of time, intentionally be misleading...

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast