Drove an SRT-4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Drove an SRT-4 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Met up with a buddy today that I have not seen in a few months. He used to drive a ...

Drove an SRT-4

Met up with a buddy today that I have not seen in a few months. He used to drive a 12sec eclipse but now its dead in the garage and he replaced it with an SRT-4 about 3 months ago. I rode in the car for about 20min while he had some fun and then I took it for a spin for about 15min.
    IMPRESSIONS:

Interior: Not that bad. Its pretty plain and plastic filled but for how much the car costs and what it was built for its not bad at all. The car felt pretty solid and he had the Viper seats in there.... They hold you in really well, but I would imagine them becoming very uncomfortable for any drives longer than 30min.
    I still like my wrx interior better though

Handling: I must say, I am pretty impressed with the handling of this car. I expected much worse. He is on stock tires and wheels and the car is pretty nimble. Steering was kinda "mushy" but the car felt like it could hold it's own and grip rather well. For a FWD neon I was very impressed and it feels more nimble than my wrx, but my wrx def. is a better handling car in nearly every aspect.

Performance: This car hauls ass! There is so much torque available at the instant you request it. My fully catless wrx does not even come close to having the throttle response this car demonstrates. One thing I didn't like though was how even at 20mph the car would have noticable torque steer, and as far as launching it... forget about it! The thing really moves once it hooks up, but the tq steer and wheel hop is almost scary at some moments.
    Overall though, I really like the accelerationg of this car. With a 6k redline the car pulls from the second you hit the gas all the way to redline. There is no waiting for power to build with this thing, between the torque and quick turbo spool it does really well.
    My catless wrx seems faster in lower speeds, but he brought me on the highway and took it up to 130mph and I can say that his STOCK SRT-4 would hand me and my catless rex it's ass at high speeds.

Trans: Pretty smooth transmission. I didn't like how low the shifter is, but it slides in gear pretty well and the clutch is VERY easy to work. It's pretty fcking sad that my Japanese Subaru which costs about $6k more has a sh!ttier trans than a Dodge NEON!!
    Then again, just about every car I have driven has a better trans

Overall: He has a 6disk changer, factory sub in the trunk, and sun roof. He got this car for just over $19,000 and that is one hell of a deal. Obviously, you can buy a Corolla for cheaper and have a better interior, but the peformance of this car is rather suprising and ofcourse its modability is great. It's nothing I would buy over my wrx, but for how much it costs and all the performance you get its def. a good pic. Not a neon in the least bit.
    - I can't wait to see what he does with it. He is waiting until 5k miles to do any mods, but when he does I expect big things... He did a lot with his eclipse and had it running12's after only owning it 4 months.
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if i wasn't broke i would def buy one and just beat the piss out of it. haha no honestly i would make it real fast. its def a sweet car 4 the price. i just hate fwd

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I drove a friends SRT4 and you are spot on with your review. I laid down 60' of rubber with that sucker hopping and weaving the whole time. Car was fun but a handfull.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

I really like the SRT4. I have heard the 230 hp is underrated and its closer to 250 hp. The upgrades are cheap and that stage 3 kit with 355hp/365 tq would whoop many cars costing 3 times as much
    Last edited by EVOVIII; 02-05-2005 at 09:19 PM.

My friend is trading in his Srt-4. Its at Stage 2 with around 300whp. He says he's sick of it. Lots of problems. Gone threw a few head gaskets, now he is having trouble with the clutch. He says he wants an Evo MR in Graphite grey. He wants a car that can handle real well on twisty roads. Has to wait because there all sold out for a few months.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

The SRT-4 is the most bang for your buck car out now, and they do take very well to mods, i love the car but i hate the mentality of SOME of the owners.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Still a neon. Even with the StLouis arch on the back.

I hate that car! With that said, if is blazzin fast with cheap mods!
    2003 Platinum Silver Metalic Sedan
    VF-34 Powered
    My Mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    Even if your car was stock, your chances of warranty coverage are about as good as a retarded chimp trying to do a calculus problem while high on pcp.

Nice review.
    Could you imagine a highly modded SRT-4 on the street. That thing would be retarded off the line. That thing would be all over the road. FWD isn't a good setup for a high powered car. But you can't argue with its bang for the buck. I would still rather buy a used
    2002 LS1 WS6 Trans Am for $19,000 though.

There was a real nice LS1 WS6 with low miles for sale at a local car lot. They wanted
    18,999 for it.

I like the perfromance but it looks like a damn turbocharge helmet.
    "WE RACE FOR EXCELLENCE" - SUBARU
    Bugeyed Mafia 4 Life

im stickin with my dinosaur egg impression...
    WuDekStyle: i took the meanest **** at work today, i created an island there was so much nastiness
    WuDekStyle: i felt like a wild animal
    Official Cinematographer for the Bugeye Mafia

I Support ClubWRX
    Excellent review and it is almost exactly the way I feel about my car. Not too stoked about torque steer and wheel hop either, but as you said, torque is available everywhere in the rpm range the second you request it. I am still very happy with mine, but still hate FWD. Can't have your cake and eat it too I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by psychoskip
    im stickin with my dinosaur egg impression...
    I love it! dino egg. kinda looks like one at times yet i like my fast sleeper dino egg. I looked at SRT-4 and turbo spool at 2k I think it was a wicked streight line car for the price. yet they fish in corners which is no good. wow head gaskets and stuff after stage 2 outch.
    2002 wagon 83k miles
    perrin short ram, inlet & fmic, perrin / samco hoses and fuel rails, bosal dp. erz upp, borla catback, sti ra gears w/ stock 5th, act clutch & fly, vf30, AP, perrin end links, critical cooling kit, hks bov, perrin 4pot brakes, rota wheels, hid w/ levals

Racenut3.0 - said
    "The worst thing about the AP is it did not come with any fairy dust. I wanna fly dammit!"

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    My friend is trading in his Srt-4. Its at Stage 2 with around 300whp. He says he's sick of it. Lots of problems. Gone threw a few head gaskets, now he is having trouble with the clutch. He says he wants an Evo MR in Graphite grey. He wants a car that can handle real well on twisty roads. Has to wait because there all sold out for a few months.
    wow! I am pretty surprised with teh head gasket thing.... I have seen so many of them dynoing at 300WHP plus with no issues.... Perhaps he has a tuning issue that is causing the headgaskets to go?
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    wow! I am pretty surprised with teh head gasket thing.... I have seen so many of them dynoing at 300WHP plus with no issues.... Perhaps he has a tuning issue that is causing the headgaskets to go?
    I think he got a lemon. All mods were done by Dodge. He has Stage 2 in the car. It's been back there alot getting fixed?? He is either going to get the STi or MR. Leaning toward the MR for handling.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast