Is a 350z Vs a STi REALLY a drivers race?
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Is a 350z Vs a STi REALLY a drivers race? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I mean common.. I owned a Z and once in a while I check out my old forum and I ...

Banned

Is a 350z Vs a STi REALLY a drivers race?

I mean common.. I owned a Z and once in a while I check out my old forum and I just can't take these guys 'KILL stories " anymore.. they are ridiculouse... Z kills e46 M3 , My z killed a C5 ect.. but there have been many many treads on the Sti vs Z stock for stock and from a roll being a drivers race... from 60-150 mph going ot the Z.. I had a track pac with Borla headers and honestly whenI traded it for my STi and rememeber saying to myself .. wow!! this car feels soooo much faster and that was when my Sti was bone stock too.. I don't rememebr what thet feels like anymore..lol anyways maybe it's true but do you STOCK sti owners find that a Z can take you from a roll? Also .. what # Stage WRX is equal to a stock STi.. ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would have to say that from a roll, yes it would be a driver's race. That's assuming stock for each car. To risk sounding like a magazine racer, take a look at the trap speeds on both cars. Theyre very similar.
    2002 WRX 352whp & 341ft-lbs *SOLD*
    12.5@109
    2004 SRT4 449whp & 457ft-lbs
    11.6@125

in all fairness, it's hard to compare acceleration and power on the butt dyno when it comes to NA vs Turbo cars. NA's have that more smoother acceleration throughout the band whereas a turbo pushes suddenly once u come on boost.

Quote Originally Posted by supersuby
    I mean common.. I owned a Z and once in a while I check out my old forum and I just can't take these guys 'KILL stories " anymore.. they are ridiculouse... Z kills e46 M3 , My z killed a C5 ect.. but there have been many many treads on the Sti vs Z stock for stock and from a roll being a drivers race... from 60-150 mph going ot the Z.. I had a track pac with Borla headers and honestly whenI traded it for my STi and rememeber saying to myself .. wow!! this car feels soooo much faster and that was when my Sti was bone stock too.. I don't rememebr what thet feels like anymore..lol anyways maybe it's true but do you STOCK sti owners find that a Z can take you from a roll? Also .. what # Stage WRX is equal to a stock STi.. ?
    Stock for stock, why wouldn't it be a driver's race from a roll?? Both cars dyno about the same don't they?
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

I ran a 350z with an exhaust. I have a stock STi. The asshat pulled up slightly behind me in a right turn only lane, and I knew he was going to race ahead an cut me off to avoid the turn once the light changed. I didn't launch too hard, it was close but I stayed ahead and forced him to get behind me. I waited for the ricer fly by in 2nd gear at ~3500 rpm. Sure enough, he bit, and I greeted him by keeping up through 2nd, and pulling away in 3rd. I rolled my window down to waive. He told me I had a nice car, and I complimented his. Before leaving I told him sometimes it ticks me off that my AWD slows me down a little because of drivetrain loss, then tore off chuckling.

350z, nice looking car, but like a bad drug that makes anyone that drives one, think that they're invincible.

350Z is fast looking slow car

I agree with the above post that most 350Z owners think that they can't be beat. Over on their website (my350z.com) they actually have a few guys who call themselves "troll hunters" that post the BS flags whenever someone says that they beat a 350Z or that a 350Z lost to something. Their leader who is the King Tool there "claims" that he runs 13.38 in his "near stock" 350Z. After reading his mods he has listed "test pipes" which in my eyes is not "near stock" but rather now "no longer street legal". The herb then goes on this huge defensive rant about how STIs and 350Zs are equal and its a drivers race.
    They also spread lies about how their cars never lose to scoobies and that they should make the effort to put us in our places.

It's funny but whenever I see catch one at a light and they start to rev and act like clowns, I just make them see the error of thier ways by like 3-5 cars. Also it seems they like to do the ricer flyby when they lose along with the finger which just tells me that their angry at their magazine racer buddies.
    If you can't run fairly from a dig, take your rolls back to the bakery.

who cares?
    05 Crystal Gray STi
    304 hp 353 lbs on 92 octane ------> Mustang Dyno
    12.6 @ 109.2 > new numbers coming soon.

fre
    I see waaaaaay too many 350zs out there. I wouldn't want to own a car that even turboed only runs high 12s on street tires. I don't think I would want to run stickies that last 5k miles on the street. I want potential
    11.1 @ 131

Quote Originally Posted by fre
    I see waaaaaay too many 350zs out there. I wouldn't want to own a car that even turboed only runs high 12s on street tires. I don't think I would want to run stickies that last 5k miles on the street. I want potential
    I saw a twin turbo 350Z at the track last summer his best while i was there was a 13.3, it had these sickly wide tires/rims on it with this amazing deep dish lip, and an awesome body kit, the car looked amazing but he was running mostly mid 13s and like i said his best was a 13.3, i forget the mph but i think it was pretty high, i guess he couldn't get traction, maybe his trap was like 108 or so.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

for what its worth, i raced a stock 350Z from a roll when all i had was a boost controller in my WRX. i pulled on her (yep her ) each time pretty convincingly. this was from about 30-70 at which point i had about 2 car lengths on her. not sure what the outcome would have been if we went 60-100 or higher but i dont race at those speeds.
    bryan

-2003 Blue WRX, complete 2007 STi Engine/Drivetrain transplant - Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4 (new!)
    -1994 Black Supra TT 6MT - Pic | Build/Restoration Thread: 67mm, Fuel, Painted Engine Bay, Fuse Box Relocation, Wire Tuck, etc.

www.TriStateTuners.com

/\ i had the same outcome as above when i only had a stage 0ne. I barely (and i mean barely) pulled. However when i was stage two it was more like bus lengths. the 350Z is a beautiful stock car. and it is pretty fast for not being turbo. and i think high 12's is impresive when they r turbo'd because they only run 5-7 psi. there is a guy at the airport that i work at who has one HKS twin turbo'd and he's not an assclown about it. i should find out if he has any timeslips.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie
    I agree with the above post that most 350Z owners think that they can't be beat. Over on their website (my350z.com) they actually have a few guys who call themselves "troll hunters" that post the BS flags whenever someone says that they beat a 350Z or that a 350Z lost to something. Their leader who is the King Tool there "claims" that he runs 13.38 in his "near stock" 350Z. After reading his mods he has listed "test pipes" which in my eyes is not "near stock" but rather now "no longer street legal". The herb then goes on this huge defensive rant about how STIs and 350Zs are equal and its a drivers race.
    They also spread lies about how their cars never lose to scoobies and that they should make the effort to put us in our places.

It's funny but whenever I see catch one at a light and they start to rev and act like clowns, I just make them see the error of thier ways by like 3-5 cars. Also it seems they like to do the ricer flyby when they lose along with the finger which just tells me that their angry at their magazine racer buddies.
    Im not trying to start anything here nor am i going to, but you're wrong about Z drivers. Most of them are friendly and very humble. The same goes for here. Most wrx drivers are very cool but of course you will have a few out there who are asshats.

Now as for stock or near stock wrx's who say they can pull on a Z from a roll, i call or the guy in the Z can't drive. If an STi can barely pull a Z, how can a stock wrx do it? Plus as i have stated in other posts, Stock wrx = 170whp Stock Z = 235whp. The AP stage 1's out there dyno at 195whp, which is still not even close to a Z. Trap speed for a stock wrx = 92-94mph Stg 1 = 94-96mph
    Stock Z =99-102mph.

There are so many threads out there on this. I am not trying to give you guys a hard time. I used to own a wrx and i still love them. If i didn't i wouldn't be posting here. Just trying to state some facts and tell what Z's and G's can do since i've driven both cars.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by fastwrx135
    Im not trying to start anything here nor am i going to, but you're wrong about Z drivers. Most of them are friendly and very humble. The same goes for here. Most wrx drivers are very cool but of course you will have a few out there who are asshats.

Now as for stock or near stock wrx's who say they can pull on a Z from a roll, i call or the guy in the Z can't drive. If an STi can barely pull a Z, how can a stock wrx do it? Plus as i have stated in other posts, Stock wrx = 170whp Stock Z = 235whp. The AP stage 1's out there dyno at 195whp, which is still not even close to a Z. Trap speed for a stock wrx = 92-94mph Stg 1 = 94-96mph
    Stock Z =99-102mph.

There are so many threads out there on this. I am not trying to give you guys a hard time. I used to own a wrx and i still love them. If i didn't i wouldn't be posting here. Just trying to state some facts and tell what Z's and G's can do since i've driven both cars.
    I def agree that a stock wrx can't beat a 350Z or g35 from a roll but i also think you are low balling the trap speeds, i saw a number of people running 95.XX trap speeds stock. I think you should change that to 92-96 for the trap speed.
    2005 WRX (Short throw shifter, lightweight pulley,STI Splitters,Tein H-Tech springs,Up/Down Pipe, ERZ Catback, Cobb Stage 2, ASA JH8 with Yokohama ES 100s) 13.680@100.46mph

Stock Z =99-102mph.

STi barely pull? No, it was a pull from a stop when I wasn't launching hard. When the race continued at a roll because of his attempted fly by, I caught up, and pulled again, at a healthy clip.

Maybe he couldn't drive. Who knows.

EDIT:
    Was thinking about how the STi ecu can a real pain in the butt. One days the car is nice and fast, the next it might be down 20hp because... well.. just because. Do 350z's have the same issue? Might explain some things.
    Last edited by Tgui; 02-04-2005 at 12:05 PM.

Stock Z =99-102mph.

You gotta also take in a account that some people could be running AP stage 1 with a light weight pulley, up-pipe and turbo back exhaust, maybe some intercooler hoses, a drop in air filter, maybe a few other little things. I would think that an AP stage 1 wrx with an up-pipe lightweight pulley, air filter, short throw shifter, should keep up pretty good with a stock 350Z for a bit, once you get into the triple digits or 4th gear for the wrx i would say its pretty much over for the wrx.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast