Is a 350z Vs a STi REALLY a drivers race? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Is a 350z Vs a STi REALLY a drivers race? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i recently went to a drag strip with some friends and on the way back i had 4 people in ...

i recently went to a drag strip with some friends and on the way back i had 4 people in my car and my friend with a 350z wanted to run me off a roll on the way back so we did. Remember i had 4 heads in my car, he had 2 in his. We went from 3rd gear 45mph roll and i pulled about 2 cars and still pulling when we stopped, we went 2nd gear at 40mph and i pullled about 2 cars and still going. Btw his Z has headers and intake.
    The Ghosts of Zooph and Sarcasmo Will haunt CLUBWRX forever!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by elohdaeh78
    You gotta also take in a account that some people could be running AP stage 1 with a light weight pulley, up-pipe and turbo back exhaust, maybe some intercooler hoses, a drop in air filter, maybe a few other little things. I would think that an AP stage 1 wrx with an up-pipe lightweight pulley, air filter, short throw shifter, should keep up pretty good with a stock 350Z for a bit, once you get into the triple digits or 4th gear for the wrx i would say its pretty much over for the wrx.
    +1
    My AP stg 2 wagon shines below 4th gear. The stock turbo is too small and the gearings are too long (at least on the 4eat)

Having running my sti and AP stg2 side by side, I can safely say that a AP stg2 (4eat) will keep up if not beat a Z under triple digits.
    07 RDX

04 STI: SOLD
    02 4eat Cobb Stg 2 WRX Wagon: Wife's

Quote Originally Posted by Tgui
    Was thinking about how the STi ecu can a real pain in the butt. One days the car is nice and fast, the next it might be down 20hp because... well.. just because.

subaru ecu's have a tendency to increase/decrease power as they see fit as certain variables occur or change (such as temperature and other things).

There is some truth in the above posts

Stock for Stock....a WRX will lose to a 350Z. Maybe in your area (fastwrx135) the 350z owners are cool but here in NY they are arrogant and dangerous. I had one cut me off on the expressway just for the sake of doing so at around 60 mph. The guy wasn't too happy when I caught up to his sorry ass and passed him as I waved to him. Many 350Z owners think that just because a WRX looks like stock, we are.

Not always the case "cough.....VF22.....cough"
    If you can't run fairly from a dig, take your rolls back to the bakery.

Quote Originally Posted by Tgui

EDIT:
    Was thinking about how the STi ecu can a real pain in the butt. One days the car is nice and fast, the next it might be down 20hp because... well.. just because. Do 350z's have the same issue? Might explain some things.
    I don't think the Z's have the exact same problem as the STi. I do know that the 350z isn't at its best before 10,000 miles. I've heard of people improving on their 1/4 mile times and trap speeds after they've passed this mark. Don't ask me why because i have no idea why this is. All i could think of is the engine is completely broken in at this point or maybe its the ecu. I won't find out myself for another 3000 miles. I'll find out this spring when i take it up to the drag strip again.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

Quote Originally Posted by Techie
    Stock for Stock....a WRX will lose to a 350Z. Maybe in your area (fastwrx135) the 350z owners are cool but here in NY they are arrogant and dangerous. I had one cut me off on the expressway just for the sake of doing so at around 60 mph. The guy wasn't too happy when I caught up to his sorry ass and passed him as I waved to him. Many 350Z owners think that just because a WRX looks like stock, we are.

Not always the case "cough.....VF22.....cough"
    Yeah i guess maybe you have more than your fair share of idiots in your area. I haven't experienced anything bad around my area which is 30 miles north of Chicago.

I love the VF22. Thats what i had on my rex.
    '03 PSM WRX Stg 4 <---SOLD
    '04 G35 coupe<-----MY NEW CAR

When I had my STi I raced a 350Z from a 70mph roll up to 150mph. I had full Tb exaust. I assume he was stock. I pulled out on him buy about 1 car and stayed that way to 150.
    From a dig, don't even waste your gas. The Z is a pig from a dig.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    When I had my STi I raced a 350Z from a 70mph roll up to 150mph. I had full Tb exaust. I assume he was stock. I pulled out on him buy about 1 car and stayed that way to 150.
    From a dig, don't even waste your gas. The Z is a pig from a dig.

that's just weird..i pulled harden on my friend with 4 heads in my car and 2 heads in his z..but than it was from around 40-120 (stock sti)

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    that's just weird..i pulled harden on my friend with 4 heads in my car and 2 heads in his z..but than it was from around 40-120 (stock sti)
    40 to 120.? What gear did the Z start from?

40 to 120.? What gear did the Z start from?
    both of us 2nd...i also did it at about 50 in 3rd to like 110 and same results (both of us in 3rd that time)

Quote Originally Posted by AwdTurboWrx
    both of us 2nd...i also did it at about 50 in 3rd to like 110 and same results (both of us in 3rd that time)
    Hmmmm? weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Techie
    I agree with the above post that most 350Z owners think that they can't be beat. Over on their website (my350z.com) they actually have a few guys who call themselves "troll hunters" that post the BS flags whenever someone says that they beat a 350Z or that a 350Z lost to something. Their leader who is the King Tool there "claims" that he runs 13.38 in his "near stock" 350Z. After reading his mods he has listed "test pipes" which in my eyes is not "near stock" but rather now "no longer street legal". The herb then goes on this huge defensive rant about how STIs and 350Zs are equal and its a drivers race.
    They also spread lies about how their cars never lose to scoobies and that they should make the effort to put us in our places.

It's funny but whenever I see catch one at a light and they start to rev and act like clowns, I just make them see the error of thier ways by like 3-5 cars. Also it seems they like to do the ricer flyby when they lose along with the finger which just tells me that their angry at their magazine racer buddies.

I got the flyby and the finger form a Maxima.

Hmmmm? weird.
    well i know he ran a evo 8 with downpipe off a roll and it was head to head..than the evo raised the boost a little and took him by a car

Unless the STi is driven poorly, it beats the 350Z in everything but a beauty contest. It's not a driver's race.

Against a WRX, it's a drivers race to 60 mph. But at higher speeds or from a roll, the Z is clearly superior.
    '07 STI UGM: Protuned Cobb DP, Walbro, Prodrive BCS; Cobb heat shield; extra stock rims with Hankook iPike W409's; Subaru hitch mount; a Limited roof and wing
    '02 WRX PS: quick & trouble free but sold with 110K miles
    mods

Quote Originally Posted by virpacalis
    Unless the STi is driven poorly, it beats the 350Z in everything but a beauty contest. It's not a driver's race.

Against a WRX, it's a drivers race to 60 mph. But at higher speeds or from a roll, the Z is clearly superior.
    sorry i think sti's look better than z's also....i see a z or g35 at every corner where i live..they are almost as common as riced out civics around here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.