wrx vs chipped turbo diesel?

This is a discussion on wrx vs chipped turbo diesel? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a catless wrx and my friend's friend's dad (yeah, confusing haha) has a turbo diesel ram. So my ...

wrx vs chipped turbo diesel?

I have a catless wrx and my friend's friend's dad (yeah, confusing haha) has a turbo diesel ram. So my friend (the first one) wants to set up a race between the two of us. Now, I'm not retarded; that ram probably has 450hp and 650+ft/lbs torque. But I'm just wondering what would my chances be against a beast like that, from a dig?

Note: I did not say anything cocky to them. I know what my car can do, but I do NOT know what that ram can do....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianProdigy
    I have a catless wrx and my friend's friend's dad (yeah, confusing haha) has a turbo diesel ram. So my friend (the first one) wants to set up a race between the two of us. Now, I'm not retarded; that ram probably has 450hp and 650+ft/lbs torque. But I'm just wondering what would my chances be against a beast like that, from a dig?

Note: I did not say anything cocky to them. I know what my car can do, but I do NOT know what that ram can do....
    They don't put out any 450hp stock. They would need some mods for that. It is hard to say how fast he is because they can range from pretty slow stock to wickedly fast, depending if it is modded or not. I went against a stock one when I had my stock turbo and put a pretty bad hurting on him. They are probably only like 16 seconds stock.
    11.1 @ 131

Oops, I mentioned it was chipped (ECU blah blah power+++) in the thread title, but not in the actual thread. My bad!

***A chipped turbo diesel pick up!***

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's only chipped it will still probably be very slow. Stock those things run like 12 seconds to 60 and do 17s in the 1/4 mile. I suppose some ECU stuff could knock a few seconds off of each of those.
    "Did you sleep well?"
    "No, I made a couple of mistakes."
    -- Steven Wright

Well I don't know. My friends brother has a turboed Sierra diesel and has a piggy back unit on the thing and that bad boy is one of the fastest vehicles I have ever been in. The truck even comes stock with pre set modes for different set ups, 2 of the 5 set ups are extreme and race mode. I am not sure which mode he had it on but I looked at the screen where it shows what psi the turbo is at and when he went wot he was pushing 30psi from 0 to around 94 where the governor(sp?) cut the fuel off. There were some cars trying to race him on the freeway like an rsx and I believe a grand am or grand prix, one of those grand cars haha, and he smoked'em both up till the speed cut off point.

The sierras might be different than the ram's from the power it gets from ecu stuff though but man that turbo in the sierra is loud. To bad diesels only have around a 3,500 rpm red line. But actually comparing the piggy backed sierra to my friends STi I would have to say the STi felt like I was gonna mess myself while the sierra didn't really feel like we were moving fast even though we were.
    You might be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

My brother in law has a chipped f-350, when your in it it feels fast due to all the torque, but my rsx-s used to take it from a standstill. Remember that they are heavy, in the range to 6 to 7500 pounds. He just recently upgraded to the banks 6 gun kit, and now that truck IS really fast. I don't think I could take him with my stock scoob. (he would probally just launch in 4wd as well)

My buddy has a diesel Ram, very modded, that belts out nearly 500 hp and over 1,000 ft/lbs of torque. It's a freakling animal. I'd race him from 0-60 but if we were racing 40-90 I'd be in the market for a new set of doors.
    2009 WRX 5Door- Silver
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Crewmax
    1957 Willy's CJ3B, '73 Corvette Yellow

I think you will still win. I just barely beat one at the drag strip w/ my catless wagon last year.

Our 60' time was almost identical around 2.0. He actually beat me to the 1/8mi. 9.4 to 9.5 They launch in 4wd then switch to rwd on the fly. Wish I could do that trick. I ran 14.8 to his 14.9. I had a better trap speed. 92.xxmph to 89.xxmph.

I talked to the guy and he had alot more mods than the truck you are talking about though. He had a chip, intake, exhaust, propane injection and maybe some other stuff.

NOTE: DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL the origional poster knows that he sucks at drag racing.

FWIW, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Turbo diesels make big power man...don't sleep on them. My buddy has one as a tow vehicle for his Mustang, its scary when the tow vehicle runs 13's.
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SERacing
    Turbo diesels make big power man...don't sleep on them. My buddy has one as a tow vehicle for his Mustang, its scary when the tow vehicle runs 13's.
    ...and the Mustang runs 14's

J/K

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    ...and the Mustang runs 14's

J/K
    It wouldn't surprise me

Oh wait...theres someone on this site (well back in the day) that has a Turbo Diesel tow vehicle and a Mustang too...hope he doesn't read this
    SIRacing.Net

Originally posted by yermom
    heh, fairlady

does not sound like a fast car, no wonder they changed the name for the US market

Well, I don't know a ton from first hand experience what just a chip will do to the Cummins (5.9 i6), but Fords I do have some first hand experience with.

With the 7.3 PSD (Turbo), they probably are somewhere in the 15's when chipped (depending on the chip)

My uncles 6.0L PSD (2004) with a chip (Can't remember the name - they put one on an F250 on Trucks! Once)... on the chips highest setting, from a 5mph roll, I didn't pull away from him very hard in my STi... until 60, where I proceeded to walk away handily. Regardless, it surprised me when I wasn't blowing him away from the start.

Keep an eye out - the Dodges have been around longer and have a lot more stuff out for them .
    1970 GS350
    2004 WRX STi
    2006 Honda Accord (Sedan), 4cyl 5 speed.