STi vs. EVO VIII

This is a discussion on STi vs. EVO VIII within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Driving on the highway today I was messing around with an EVO that merged with me. We got a couple ...

STi vs. EVO VIII

Driving on the highway today I was messing around with an EVO that merged with me. We got a couple runs in, most from 60-120ish and I actually edged on him each time. Both races he started in front of me, and both times I inched on him. The last race I was really moving but we had to slow down before I could pass.

My STi is stock. His EVO had an exhaust, but that is all I know about.

Would you say these results are typical or not? First run in I have had with one, and I expected to get beat since he had at least an exhaust.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Padge
    Driving on the highway today I was messing around with an EVO that merged with me. We got a couple runs in, most from 60-120ish and I actually edged on him each time. Both races he started in front of me, and both times I inched on him. The last race I was really moving but we had to slow down before I could pass.

Would you say these results are typical or not? First run in I have had with one, and I expected to get beat since he had at least an exhaust.

Yup, I had the same type of encounter, though at 25-60mph speeds. EVO had an exhaust and tons of go fast stickers. Took him every time.

On another note, get a UTEC. All Java Black 2004 STi's deserve them. Now that mines installed, I've embarrased even more cars.

-Eric-

^^ I cant decide yet if I am going to go Cobb and DP or not... still looking into it.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

^^ I cant decide yet if I am going to go Cobb and DP or not... still looking into it.
    I came close to getting the AP. People refer to it as being "Set it, and forget about it". I've read about a few people having problems with the AP though. Not that it isn't a fine piece of equipment, its just not set it and forget it. Those that had issues would have been smart to get all the supporting monitoring hardware. EGT, AFR, boost guages to ensure the AP was behaving. But at that point, why not get management hardware that leverages the knowledge at hand when one does have all the monitoring hardware. Tune your own car based off relatively safe base maps for what your car can really do. Then bump the boost down, retard the timing in another map for those times you need that extra margin of safety.

I'd rather not be ignorant to whats really happening with my car.

Just a thought, sorry for the long post.

-Eric-

Yes. Even though he had an exaust, his car probably was not tuned. Stock STi has 29more hp. So i believe your results.
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

^^ good point. I guess I just figure if someone has an exhaust they will also have some sort of EM or tuning in order to make the exhaust do what it does best.

It was very cool cruising with him between races on the highway, thats for sure.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

Evo's need Tuning, here in NJ we go from 230WHP to 280WHp with only a flash. Adding an exhaust helps but on a car that is so rich and purposely yanks boost down 5 PSI for no good reason, Top End does not exhist. WHen I 1st got my Evo, the Rear bumper turned black from being SO rich.

All I added was an AEM Intake (An intake ALONE on a Evo will make you lose WHP as the car will yank even more boost as teh ECU see's more air) a SAFCII, and of course a MBC to keep the PSI at a constant 19PSI. HOLY SHINTO did that make a difference. I raced a STI with those mods and walked him rather easilly.

I agree too. With less than $400 spent on an MBC and and street flash, my Evo ran 12.7@107. Everything else was stock.
    -09 Impreza 2.5GT 13.72/ 99.4/1.926
    -99 Mustang 10.64/136.41.57
    -08 R32 (bone stock)

damn that is awesome... that is why i expected to lose because your freakin evos are mod-monsters.
    Patrick
    2004 Java Black STi
    COBB Stage II
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    Helix Catted downpipe
    K+N Typhoon Intake
    Tanabe GF210 Springs

Quote Originally Posted by TSi AWD
    Evo's need Tuning, here in NJ we go from 230WHP to 280WHp with only a flash. Adding an exhaust helps but on a car that is so rich and purposely yanks boost down 5 PSI for no good reason, Top End does not exhist. WHen I 1st got my Evo, the Rear bumper turned black from being SO rich.

All I added was an AEM Intake (An intake ALONE on a Evo will make you lose WHP as the car will yank even more boost as teh ECU see's more air) a SAFCII, and of course a MBC to keep the PSI at a constant 19PSI. HOLY SHINTO did that make a difference. I raced a STI with those mods and walked him rather easilly.
    Dam you guy's in NJ still get Sunaco 94 octane Out here on Long Island we only get 93 now
    2009 wrx Dark grey metallic

another factor was he probably was on stock boost too.... its true.... that flash is the truth... i got mines done by turbotrix.. night and day difference when it was done...
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboWill
    Dam you guy's in NJ still get Sunaco 94 octane Out here on Long Island we only get 93 now
    LOL! I find it really funny how we guys with low displacement turbo cars are always looking for the highest octane gas like hookers lookin for crack!

It seems though that we put more emphasis on gas quality than say... The Supra guys for example. I understand why though, but it is amusing at the same time.

You should move up to the great white north! Sunoco 94 octane on tap at every sunoco gas station
    02 WRX WRBP sedan..
    Upgrades??? stock...

fre
    Quote Originally Posted by jigga
    LOL! I find it really funny how we guys with low displacement turbo cars are always looking for the highest octane gas like hookers lookin for crack!

It seems though that we put more emphasis on gas quality than say... The Supra guys for example. I understand why though, but it is amusing at the same time.

You should move up to the great white north! Sunoco 94 octane on tap at every sunoco gas station

You could just use water/acohol injection. It is rather simple 2L + high compression = power. To get that high compression (higher boost levels) you need stable gas. 20 psi is about the limit for 91 craptane. On 93 I can get away with 22-23psi. To run higher, I definitely need 100+ octane.
    11.1 @ 131